• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So what are the requirements / cost to become a class 3 SOT?

Becoming an SOT involves mailing a $500.00 check.

Nothing extra is done above and beyond your normal FFL background check.

Although I know curraheeguns is aware of this already, becoming just an FFL/SOT will not allow you to make a post 86 lightning link. You will need to be an 07 Manufacturer FFL and SOT. As an 01 FFL/SOT you could buy a post 86 lightning link, if you could get a demo letter from a law enforcement agency. If you think you're just going to go out and get your FFL/SOT and only buy/make some post 86 MG's for yourself good luck! ;)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Although I know curraheeguns is aware of this already, becoming just an FFL/SOT will not allow you to make a post 86 lightning link. You will need to be an 07 Manufacturer FFL and SOT. As an 01 FFL/SOT you could buy a post 86 lightning link, if you could get a demo letter from a law enforcement agency. If you think you're just going to go out and get your FFL/SOT and only buy/make some post 86 MG's for yourself good luck! ;)

Plus, doesn't one actually have to make an effort to sell these highly restricted post-86 pieces of weapon as well? Just like the LEO radio market, few people scrambling over ONE department to try to get the business! :D

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County

+1

If you can't show you are engaging in a business you would have lots of explaining to do on your first compliance check.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Plus, doesn't one actually have to make an effort to sell these highly restricted post-86 pieces of weapon as well? Just like the LEO radio market, few people scrambling over ONE department to try to get the business! :D

One Department?

Marion County alone has like 10-15 different police departments. We have several just in downtown Indianapolis.

Times that by the 52 counties in Indiana and 50 states in the US and it is a bigger market then you think.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    +1

If you can't show you are engaging in a business you would have lots of explaining to do on your first compliance check.

Engaging in a business that uses the FFL at a minimum though, correct? So as long as you are selling your everyday guns, silencers, etc, and doing reg transfers you can have your 07 in the back for 'a rainy day', right?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I hate to sound dumb but what is a lightning link?I remember the drop in sears but is this something different?

It's basically a flat piece of metal that hooks around the disconnector and it has a paddle that sits behind the rear takedown lug of the upper. When the back of the bolt carrier (it must be an SP1 profile carrier) hits the paddle, it pulls the disconnector off of the hook on the hammer and allows it to fire another round.

It accomplishes the same thing as a DIAS, but doesn't require the other M16 fire control group parts. Also, it only allows Safe-Auto function, unless you use a modified burst disconnector.

ETA: Looks like this:
    nfalightninglink-01.jpg

Functions like this:
    nfall2.jpg

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I wonder if dealers need to make an effort to sell everything, or just engage in business generally. Such as a dealer making conversions for personal use but still selling suppressors and sbr's and title 1 guns in order to operate his business. Even if there was no rule you had to engage in business, considering the effort and expense to have a license it would be foolish to not do it as a part time deal and make some profit.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I wonder if dealers need to make an effort to sell everything, or just engage in business generally. Such as a dealer making conversions for personal use but still selling suppressors and sbr's and title 1 guns in order to operate his business. Even if there was no rule you had to engage in business, considering the effort and expense to have a license it would be foolish to not do it as a part time deal and make some profit.

Same question I posed a few posts earlier.

I 'believe' this is the case...

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    The first issue in getting an 07 is zoning, its has to be zoned for manufacturing and in most cases you will not get a variance for your residence for an 07. You more then likely will have to rent or buy property already zoned for that activity. This is one of the first things the ATF checks when processing your application. So unless yo are actually doing it for a business there is no cheap way of going around this.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    One Department?

Marion County alone has like 10-15 different police departments. We have several just in downtown Indianapolis.

Times that by the 52 counties in Indiana and 50 states in the US and it is a bigger market then you think.
    What about the other 40 counties in IN? Are they no longer a part of this great state? :D

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    When it comes to dealer samples, the post-May 86 samples have to go bye-bye when you cease to have an SOT license. You can keep the pre-May samples, but they're about half the price of a fully transferrable MG.

I'm not sure how true this is, but I have heard of individuals getting their SOT to get a few items "tax free" for a year, and then later being charged with tax evasion.

Top Bottom