• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nullvalue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    NWI
    Hello, I'm new here and am looking to purchase my first gun. I'm hoping with the knowledge in this forum some of you may be able to help me narrow down my options.

I have a number of requirements that I'll outline below.

I'm thinking I'd like a 9mm pistol due to availability and affordability of ammo.

I'd like something that both my wife and I can use and keep for home protection. Also, important is comfort and range-friendliness. Since she's never fired a gun before, and I've had very little time at the range, something that we can practice with will be important. Low recoil will be key.

Also we have kids.. Obviously we'll keep it locked up when unattended but safety features out the wazoo will be important.

To throw a wrench in, I'm right-handed and she's left - so an ambidextrous model would get preference.

My wife is average size, I'm 6'0 but I don't have gorilla hands, so even a compact may be fine if it'd work better for her.

So to recap, something for home defense that we can also train with.

Bonus: I'm thinking also about conceal carry for myself. I may prefer a compact for this reason. I realize with all above I may be asking for 2 or 3 different guns.. if that's the case just tell me. I could always get something to carry later.

Oh, one more important note - I'd like to stay around $400-500 max.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Welcome to INGO!

Lots of firearms out there that meet these specs.. I'd start with a Glock and remind you that safety is completely your control, but there's plenty of other options as well..

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Your requirements are far and wide. Home defense handgun, go with something full frame, Ruger makes some good stuff that falls into your price range. P95 was my first. I got rid of it because it was to bulky for me to conceal. Anything in that price range that is compact is going to have quite a kick. Rugers generally have plenty of annoying safety features...most of which you will later find that you don't use anyways. You can count on them to go bang when you pull the trigger though. Also look at the SR9 or SR9c. I have a lot more fun with revolvers than semi-autos, but if you are set on 9mm than they would be out.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    If you want something to see if you like handguns, I would go with a 22. Guns are cheaper compaired to larger cals. The ammo is by far less expensive, so more range time. Something with lots of safety features go with a 1911. They are very safe( my favorite by far). They come in wide varity of calibers 22, 9mm, most popular 45 acp. they are great shooters, very depenable, you can find lots of after market stuff to make them your own. Some have ambi safety so their good for right or left handed shooters. This is an all day topic so good luck and this is just my :twocents:.

nullvalue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks guys, I was thinking about the Ruger LC9 but after seeing some videos, that compact really does look like it packs a punch. How would that P95 compare? Less recoil since it's a full-size frame?

I also like the Walther P22 but have read mixed reviews. Is a 22 really adequate for home defense?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    It sounds as if you aren't particularly familiar with firearms. I'd recommend going to an indoor range that has gun rental and trying a few models and calibers.

The safest model for people who aren't big gun people is a striker-fired model of semi-auto.

STAY AWAY from the newer ultra-light five-shot revolvers. They have horrendous recoil and will scare your wife silly.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    People will debate this kind of stuff all day long.. me personally, I'd take a handful of milk jugs, fill them with water, and shoot them with different calibers to get an idea. A .22 can kill you just as dead as a .45 with a well-placed shot, and shot placement is key - hits with a .22 are WAY better than misses with anything else.

That being said, I'd look to a 9mm as an entry into a defensive round. There are other calibers, sure - but as a lighter load that has less recoil, it's not a bad place to start out with.

Of course, given the same rounds, the heavier the firearm, the less the felt recoil..

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hello, I'm new here and am looking to purchase my first gun. I'm hoping with the knowledge in this forum some of you may be able to help me narrow down my options.

I have a number of requirements that I'll outline below.

I'm thinking I'd like a 9mm pistol due to availability and affordability of ammo.

I'd like something that both my wife and I can use and keep for home protection. Also, important is comfort and range-friendliness. Since she's never fired a gun before, and I've had very little time at the range, something that we can practice with will be important. Low recoil will be key.

Also we have kids.. Obviously we'll keep it locked up when unattended but safety features out the wazoo will be important.

To throw a wrench in, I'm right-handed and she's left - so an ambidextrous model would get preference.

My wife is average size, I'm 6'0 but I don't have gorilla hands, so even a compact may be fine if it'd work better for her.

So to recap, something for home defense that we can also train with.

Bonus: I'm thinking also about conceal carry for myself. I may prefer a compact for this reason. I realize with all above I may be asking for 2 or 3 different guns.. if that's the case just tell me. I could always get something to carry later.

Oh, one more important note - I'd like to stay around $400-500 max.

Thanks!

S&W MP 9mm...perfect for both of you. You can switch it from left handed to right handed operation in just a couple of minutes. It comes with 3 backstraps sized differently, so it will fit different sized hands. It's reliable, and right in your price range. And the MP is a very soft shooter.

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I think the ruger SR9C has safety features out the wazoo. I also think starting with a 22 might be smart too. Something like a ruger SR22 or a Walther P22 to ease your wife into it. My wife also hasn't shot a gun and I have a SR22 that I'm going to acclimate her with.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Thanks guys, I was thinking about the Ruger LC9 but after seeing some videos, that compact really does look like it packs a punch. How would that P95 compare? Less recoil since it's a full-size frame?

I also like the Walther P22 but have read mixed reviews. Is a 22 really adequate for home defense?

P.S.

My wife's gun is a P22. She can simply handle nothing larger. And since she's not afraid of it she's deadly with it.

The .22 is not ideal for defense but it's a good choice for a woman who can't handle a larger caliber. It holds eleven rounds when fully loaded and Walther recommends the use of high-speed ammo.

Don't exclude it as a choice.

nullvalue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks again, maybe I will also consider a .22. I would love to get out to a range where the wife & I could rent a couple pieces. I'm in NWI, near Crown Point/Valpo. Can anyone recommend a place?

Also FYI I've received a couple PM's - the site will not let me respond, says I have too low of a post count to send PM's. :)

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'm not from that area, but I'm sure some of the NWI folks can.. and if you're interested, you could come to the NWI Meet & Shoot in March (date TBA) and most folks would let you shoot anything they bring..

How old are your kids?

nullvalue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    NWI
    I'm not from that area, but I'm sure some of the NWI folks can.. and if you're interested, you could come to the NWI Meet & Shoot in March (date TBA) and most folks would let you shoot anything they bring..

How old are your kids?

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the date. They're 10, 9 and 5. Older 2 are boys and they do airsoft stuff with their friends. If I ended up getting a .22 I'd probably bring them to the range too.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I would like to echo what others are saying to keep you headed that way. Consider Ruger and Walther. They both have multiple amidextrous options and both brands are very affordable. My wife's gun was .380 so that is what I got for caliber compatibility. I carry a PK380 Walther and it suits my left hand fine. 9mm is economical and a good choice. .22 has statistically been able to defend lives just as much as larger calibers.

Get some range time and try many calibers, even if you have to rent the guns. Then get training. Then let us know what you get (at least for your first gun).

nullvalue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    NWI
    Checking out some reviews on that new Ruger SR22, looks like a very nice gun - may be just what I'm looking for.. It's ambi too, so definite bonus.

Do you think it'd still be too bulky for a CC?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Thanks again, maybe I will also consider a .22. I would love to get out to a range where the wife & I could rent a couple pieces. I'm in NWI, near Crown Point/Valpo. Can anyone recommend a place?

Also FYI I've received a couple PM's - the site will not let me respond, says I have too low of a post count to send PM's. :)

Well, if you can get down to Lafayette, Applied Ballistics has several .22's for rent at their range. They also have a host of other calibers as well. And I would be more than happy to meet you there and let you try out my S&W MP 9mm Pro.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Checking out some reviews on that new Ruger SR22, looks like a very nice gun - may be just what I'm looking for.. It's ambi too, so definite bonus.

Do you think it'd still be too bulky for a CC?

Not at all, it's far smaller than my 5" MP, and I carry it all the time.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would like to echo what others are saying to keep you headed that way. Consider Ruger and Walther. They both have multiple amidextrous options and both brands are very affordable. My wife's gun was .380 so that is what I got for caliber compatibility. I carry a PK380 Walther and it suits my left hand fine. 9mm is economical and a good choice. .22 has statistically been able to defend lives just as much as larger calibers.

Get some range time and try many calibers, even if you have to rent the guns. Then get training. Then let us know what you get (at least for your first gun).

also the new S&W MP -22 is getting great reviews.

Top Bottom