• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I was not going to comment because the members here are going to give you good advice and I would just be repeating it. But those points mentioned are good to keep in mind.

1. Try to test fire as many different guns as you can before purchase.

2. Caliber is not as important as shot placement. So don't get so hung up on caliber that you pass a gun you can shoot better for one with a larger caliber.

3. Concealed carry has as much to do with the holster as the weapon its self. I carry a full size Glock 22 easily. So don't be scared away from a gun because it might be too heavy or bulky to CC.

I have really been taken with the FNP line of handguns lately and think the FNX9 would fit your requirements very nicely. Value for the dollar the FNP line of handguns are hard to beat. Just my :twocents:

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Why do you say that? Because it could snag on draw?

Yeah, it's designed (at least I think it is, when I look at it) to be a tactical style firearm, not so much an easily concealed one. Just about anything CAN be concealed, sure.. but I would say that it doesn't lend itself to that..

nullvalue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    NWI
    If I were to conceal carry the SR22, what kind of holster would be recommended? I kind of like the simplicity of the VersaCarry.. any thoughts?

Also did some calling around, seems the SR22 is back ordered from the MFG - can't get it at any of the smaller shops that I'd prefer to patron.. However Cabela's in Hammond has 9 in stock for $349.

BIGDON

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Get almost any gun that meets your requirements but I'd suggest a .22 instead of a 9mm.
    The .22 is smaller than the 9mm but I still don't want to get shot by one.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Given that it sounds like both of are new to firearms, and that the shooter is the primary safety, I wouldn't get hung up on multiple safety devices. A long double-action trigger and some classes would be your best bet.
    Used guns are generally a good buy and might leave you enough to buy a second pistol in .22. Besides the striker fired semi-autos that have been mentioned (glock S&W SR/SRc or M&P etc) You might want to look at Kahr too. Revolvers can't be beat for simplicity--no way to accidentally leave a cartridge in the chamber. If you have a revolver chambered in .357mag. it will also accomodate ammo in .38 special, which can be anything from mild target loads to +P defense rounds.
    Since you want the pistol for HD, rapid access will be important, so look into the various pistol lock boxes. Some have push button combination locks and some even have biometric finger print locks!
    Check out the training part of this website.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Get almost any gun that meets your requirements but I'd suggest a .22 instead of a 9mm.
    The .22 is smaller than the 9mm but I still don't want to get shot by one.
    I would rather hit you 10 x's with a 22. Than miss you 7 with a 45.:draw:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'd recommend looking into the FNX-9, FNS-9, or an XD9 since all feature an ambi mag release rather than just a reversible one. Otherwise, one of you will need to get comfortable using the index finger to release the mag. If you have to go a little over budget to find the right gun, don't sweat it, because you'll be spending much more on ammo anyway.

The size you choose is really up to you, but a something around a 4" barrel would probably be an ideal compromise for HD and CC use as well as learning to shoot. Imho, the grip is really the hardest part of the gun to conceal.

Here's a little blog post I made on the subject of buying a first handgun that may provide some ideas:
    http://ad-lib-in-silico.blogspot.com/2012/01/buying-first-handgun-redux.html

Oh, and welcome to INGO!

Last edited:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Also, I'm going to jump out there and say that I would not recommend a .22 for defense. Yes, they can kill people, but so can a spear or a glass of water. It is not difficult to learn how to shoot a handgun accurately, and 9mm is reasonably affordable to train with.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'd shy away from the Versacarry for a number of reasons myself, especially with (again, by my eye) the sharp edges on that SR22 - they'd dig in and get caught on cover garments..

Ohh, and even as somebody who has carried a handgun concealed for years, I still prefer to have the trigger covered when it's being carried..

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I'm thinking I'd like a 9mm pistol due to availability and affordability of ammo.
    - I think 9mm is a great choice for this given some of your other requirements below.

I'd like something that both my wife and I can use and keep for home protection. Also, important is comfort and range-friendliness. Since she's never fired a gun before, and I've had very little time at the range, something that we can practice with will be important. Low recoil will be key.
    - Unless you want to go to a .22lr or 380, 9mm is still a good choice. You will find 380 ammo more expensive than 9mm though. For a first time shooter, recoil may seem excessive depending on the pistol. Lighter pistols generally will have higher felt recoil. Comfort (meaning how the pistol feels in the hand) will likely be different between you and your wife. The difference may be night and day for what feels good to each of you. Take your wife with you when you shop and be ready for compromise. Whatever you decide on, make sure your wife is physically capable of racking the slide back. My wife seems to have a lot of problems with this on most of my pistols.

Also we have kids.. Obviously we'll keep it locked up when unattended but safety features out the wazoo will be important.
    - What could be more safe than being locked up? I too once thought all those typical 1911 type safeties (grip, slide, trigger or whatever) were important but also discovered they complicated operation. After about of year of carrying, I determined that these safety features made it safer for an attacker too. For a personal protection handgun, I don't want safeties, I just want to point and pull the trigger.
    Just last Friday, my wife and I went shooting. She was at the station beside me and was shooting a Walter P22 pistol. She stopped after a reload and indicated to me there was something wrong with the pistol and that it wouldn't shoot. A quick check found the safety engaged. The scary part is that she used to carry this same pistol.

To throw a wrench in, I'm right-handed and she's left - so an ambidextrous model would get preference.
    -I have never seen any pistol that is 100% ambidextrous. Many have safties that are ambi. I have yet to see a pistol with a slide release that isn't on the left although this is moot since you can just rack the slide. Many models have magazine releases that are configurable for either right or left handed release but not both simultaneously. The Walther models have a magazine release as part of the trigger guard and is ambi.

My wife is average size, I'm 6'0 but I don't have gorilla hands, so even a compact may be fine if it'd work better for her.
    -It isn't just the full size, compact, or sub-compact classification that comes into play here. The circumference of the grip is also important. Get a model that is comfortable for each of you to hold.

Oh, one more important note - I'd like to stay around $400-500 max.
    -Honestly, I would increase your ceiling by 10% to $550 which will open up many more choices.

I really like the recommendations to go to a range and rent guns to try them out. That wasn't practical for me since the nearest one is over 80 miles away and in an area of the state that I prefer to avoid because of higher crime rates. Another choice is to talk with friends/gun club members and find out what they have. This could lead to an invite to try out a gun with no rental (be polite and provide ammo).

My wife and I have been through several iterations on carry guns and we have finally settled on the following and we are both happy:
    Mine - Glock 19 Gen 4
    Wife's - Ruger LC9
    Another site that I have found useful regarding this subject is:
    Gun Issues

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

nullvalue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for all the help here guys, I've finally decided on the Springfield XD9 Sub-Compact. It seems like it'll be great since it'll work for CCW and it comes with an extended mag to make range time easier. Plus.. it's on sale right now for $499 at Gander Mtn.

HOWEVER.. I went into purchase it today, but they couldn't sell it to me because I'm on a FBI background check delay? It could take up to 8 days to hear back.. What could cause this? I don't have any kind of violent criminal record or anything like that. SO AGGRAVATING!!

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I own a ruger sr9c and it is an awesome gun.... however I will say that the slide is VERY stiff and might be difficult for a smaller female to rack.

If it were me... (with my limited experience)... I would look into the Beretta PX4 storm. My friend owns one and the slide is SOOOOO much easier to rack. Also it is very accurate and would work for all the requirements you have listed above.

(however, not sure it is ambidextrous tho)

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Thanks for all the help here guys, I've finally decided on the Springfield XD9 Sub-Compact. It seems like it'll be great since it'll work for CCW and it comes with an extended mag to make range time easier. Plus.. it's on sale right now for $499 at Gander Mtn.

HOWEVER.. I went into purchase it today, but they couldn't sell it to me because I'm on a FBI background check delay? It could take up to 8 days to hear back.. What could cause this? I don't have any kind of violent criminal record or anything like that. SO AGGRAVATING!!

If you have a really common name maybe? Something like "John Smith" might be hard to verify quickly.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart

xd is a great gun. As for gun ranges that rent at least in nwi. I think Debs in Hammond is the only one. Blythes doesn't anymore. As for the 8 day wait don't worry about it, almost everyone I know was told the same thing when they bought their first gun. Mine was held up because I was ex military (the FBI background check people told the gun store that) I still got it that same day, few hours later. Now it takes like 5 min.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    Also check out a thread in the break room called NWI INFO general posts. They have more incarnation about ranges and gun stores

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I own a ruger sr9c and it is an awesome gun.... however I will say that the slide is VERY stiff and might be difficult for a smaller female to rack.

If it were me... (with my limited experience)... I would look into the Beretta PX4 storm. My friend owns one and the slide is SOOOOO much easier to rack. Also it is very accurate and would work for all the requirements you have listed above.

(however, not sure it is ambidextrous tho)
    Agree! I'm a pretty strong gal, but i have small hands, and the SR9C we had was very hard for me to rack...harder than any other gun i've tried, in any caliber.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Go with the earlier advice to rent a few different models from a range. Also there may be some Ingo members in your area who would be glad to show you some different models. I've done that for two business associates and they were thankful. A word of caution: You will discover if this is a problem with a rental but some people (possibly your wife) might have trouble racking the slide on a substantial semi-auto. My sis-in-law couldn't rack my 9mm and was turned off by it so she went with a .38 snubby relvolver. Another word of caution: If you aren't familiar with firearms get instruction on the proper grip for a semi-auto before you shoot. I let my brother shoot one of my Glocks and didn't pay attention to how he was gripping it. When he fired the first shot the slide cut his thumb on recoil. I felt really stupid that he got hurt under my tuttilage.

Top Bottom