• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Initially, from your statements, I would recommend a Glock 19 in 9x19! It's a great little pistol that will meet all of your 'needs' as stated...for a starter pistol. It's a combat proven, very accurate, reliable gun.

As far as kids go...we too have small kids in the house...so we have a good bedside safe and anything that's not in the safe is empty and locked up!

My wife and I both have Compact Glock pistols...she has a G-19 and I have a G-23 in .40 S&W! The thing we like most about the Glock pistols are 1) we do NOT keep a round in the chamber in the event that should one of our children get their hands on one of the guns, they cannot injure nor kill themselves nor their siblings (I will live with the belief that I have 1.5 seconds to chamber a round should I need it rather than the known risk of having a child injure or kill themselves or a sibling because I left loaded...and we train that way) and 2) the Glock (1-1/2)) DAO trigger pull...which is VERY consistent! With the Glock trigger, the first shot is the same as every other shot from the pistol!

I like the 1911 pistols...but refuse to have one around the house until my children are (much) older and better understand guns, their uses, and their inherent dangers!

I highly recommend the Glock 19 pistol for a first gun!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Initially, from your statements, I would recommend a Glock 19 in 9x19! It's a great little pistol that will meet all of your 'needs' as stated...for a starter pistol. It's a combat proven, very accurate, reliable gun.

As far as kids go...we too have small kids in the house...so we have a good bedside safe and anything that's not in the safe is empty and locked up!

My wife and I both have Compact Glock pistols...she has a G-19 and I have a G-23 in .40 S&W! The thing we like most about the Glock pistols are 1) we do NOT keep a round in the chamber in the event that should one of our children get their hands on one of the guns, they cannot injure nor kill themselves nor their siblings (I will live with the belief that I have 1.5 seconds to chamber a round should I need it rather than the known risk of having a child injure or kill themselves or a sibling because I left loaded...and we train that way) and 2) the Glock (1-1/2)) DAO trigger pull...which is VERY consistent! With the Glock trigger, the first shot is the same as every other shot from the pistol!

I like the 1911 pistols...but refuse to have one around the house until my children are (much) older and better understand guns, their uses, and their inherent dangers!

I highly recommend the Glock 19 pistol for a first gun!
    Can Amish have Glocks? ;) I agree 100% on your decision to not have a round in the chamber. I don't think the one-in-the-pipe or not applies in this case. Your children's safety trumps all else. Good for you, sir. (Now, how do you secure your weapon in your buggy? :D )

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thanks for all the help here guys, I've finally decided on the Springfield XD9 Sub-Compact. It seems like it'll be great since it'll work for CCW and it comes with an extended mag to make range time easier. Plus.. it's on sale right now for $499 at Gander Mtn.

HOWEVER.. I went into purchase it today, but they couldn't sell it to me because I'm on a FBI background check delay? It could take up to 8 days to hear back.. What could cause this? I don't have any kind of violent criminal record or anything like that. SO AGGRAVATING!!
    I have a Springfield XD9 Subcompact and I love it. The only upgrade I did to it was putting Fiber optic Night Sights on it(Tru Glo TFO) which made a huge difference. I actually bought this pistol for my 12 year old son to practice with but I have found myself carrying it quite a bit. It has minimal recoil and is very accurate and has a decent trigger on it. $499 seems a little high price wise though, but you are most always going to pay more at Gander Mountain.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    I own a ruger sr9c and it is an awesome gun.... however I will say that the slide is VERY stiff and might be difficult for a smaller female to rack.

The slide is also pretty stiff on the XD9 Subcompact. Make sure your wife can rack the slide. My son has a little difficulty manipulating the slide on our XD subcompact.

nullvalue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    NWI
    $499 seems a little high price wise though, but you are most always going to pay more at Gander Mountain.

That's actually on sale, normally $549. Have you seen it lower anywhere else? I haven't, though I've read some posts where people said they picked one up for $350?? Also the 9 mos 0% financing they're offering right now makes my wallet happy.

nullvalue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    NWI
    I own a ruger sr9c and it is an awesome gun.... however I will say that the slide is VERY stiff and might be difficult for a smaller female to rack.

The slide is also pretty stiff on the XD9 Subcompact. Make sure your wife can rack the slide. My son has a little difficulty manipulating the slide on our XD subcompact.

Thanks for the heads up, didn't seem too bad in the shop but will have my wife give it a try when we get the PROCEED (hopefully!?) back from NICS.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    That's actually on sale, normally $549. Have you seen it lower anywhere else? I haven't, though I've read some posts where people said they picked one up for $350?? Also the 9 mos 0% financing they're offering right now makes my wallet happy.
    Plainfield Shooting Supplies should have them for cheaper. If i remember, they should be in the mid $400 range. I am probably going back in there tomorrow. I will do a price check for you. Or you could call them at (317)839-6095.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    Just saw one in the classified section for sale. Springfield XD9SC
    Corey Coffman
    317 nine four six 2422
    coreyandholly (at) yahoo (dot) com
    $425 obo SS Indy.

That seems to be a good deal.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I'm a little late to the party but did you consider a .38 revolver?
    The females I've helped in learning to shoot typically responded well to heavier frame 9mm (Beretta 92FS and Glock 17 in this case) and either of my S&W .38's in a 4 and 2 inch barrel with steel frames.
    I know .38 was not one of your criteria but it is an option meeting most of your others. I know there is always the capacity, ammo cost, concealability, etc... arguments but it might be a future consideration.

Stay safe

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    i would also go with the m&p or xdm. they both have innerchangeable backstraps for u and your wifes comfort. or save a little and get a 1911. but good luck

toddcraft33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Camby
    I have a safe(gun vault) on the nightstand next to my bed. You can keep your gun loaded, and the kids would not have access to it.

bulldogg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    speedway,indiana
    the ruger or the p22 is good to start with. you might look at some revolvers for the wife. never misfire and low recoil, just a thought. saftey first for her. if you get something to big for her she may not like to shoot.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Late to the 6 page party..

Given that it sounds like both of are new to firearms, and that the shooter is the primary safety, I wouldn't get hung up on multiple safety devices. A long double-action trigger and some classes would be your best bet.
    Used guns are generally a good buy and might leave you enough to buy a second pistol in .22. Besides the striker fired semi-autos that have been mentioned (glock S&W SR/SRc or M&P etc) You might want to look at Kahr too. Revolvers can't be beat for simplicity--no way to accidentally leave a cartridge in the chamber. If you have a revolver chambered in .357mag. it will also accomodate ammo in .38 special, which can be anything from mild target loads to +P defense rounds.
    Since you want the pistol for HD, rapid access will be important, so look into the various pistol lock boxes. Some have push button combination locks and some even have biometric finger print locks!
    Check out the training part of this website.
    This is post #26-Kind of late for the "Best" all around House Gun..
    I'm a little late to the party but did you consider a .38 revolver?
    The females I've helped in learning to shoot typically responded well to heavier frame 9mm (Beretta 92FS and Glock 17 in this case) and either of my S&W .38's in a 4 and 2 inch barrel with steel frames.
    I know .38 was not one of your criteria but it is an option meeting most of your others. I know there is always the capacity, ammo cost, concealability, etc... arguments but it might be a future consideration.

Stay safe

I'm awful late to the party also.

My recommendations for a new hand gun owner for years has been a good used .38 Special or .357 Magnum revolver.

There are a whole lot more positives to this selection than any (.22 caliber included) other semi-auto listed.

A 4" Model 10 S&W .38 Special revolver will handle all of the requirements listed in the original OP's post, and leave a lot of $ for ammo/holsters to boot...JUST my 2 cents..Bill.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    -I have never seen any pistol that is 100% ambidextrous. I have yet to see a pistol with a slide release that isn't on the left although this is moot since you can just rack the slide. Many models have magazine releases that are configurable for either right or left handed release but not both simultaneously.

See the FNP-45 tactical. Actually, almost all the FN pistols are 100% ambidextrous.

SheriffMedic95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd go with a low caliber like 9mm and if you aren't familiar with firearms, go with a safety. Don't forget your locks around your kids too! S&W M&P is a good, reliable gun. If you are wanting something cheaper, Bersa makes decent starter guns. Most guns are ambidextrous. Best way to see what you like is go to a respectable gun shop and look around, for a list of good guns shops, go to the Gun Shop of the Year thread (not sure what all is in NWI).

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Look at the Ruger P95, its a bit big for a 9 but that helps with recoil. It has an amidexterous safety/decocker and works DAO or SAO

If you can spend a bit more Beretta P92 is a very easy gun to shoot and learn to shoot well with.

IMG_2314.jpg

Top Bottom