• ...and so much more!
  • Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    I have reached out to two safe movers, one from here at INGO to move my safe down into my basement. Both have taken measurements but don’t get back to me. Any recommendations? From my measurements it should fit not problem. If any one has any experience with a local company would like a recommendation.

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    Johnson safe is who built it. It’s 1100lbs. I contacted Jeff but he does not seem very willing to move it. I also contacted another company on INGO and a big company nation wide. The nation wide wanted more than I paid for the safe the other company came out and measured stated no problem but it’s been 3 weeks and nothing.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    1,100#...will the stairs / steps even support such a move?
    When I purchased my two (2) safes, I went with something was light weight,
    and the one's I got weighed in a 375# each!
    A couple of dad's Amish neighbors helped me get them down into the basement.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Johnson safe is who built it. It’s 1100lbs. I contacted Jeff but he does not seem very willing to move it. I also contacted another company on INGO and a big company nation wide. The nation wide wanted more than I paid for the safe the other company came out and measured stated no problem but it’s been 3 weeks and nothing.
    That's surprising that he doesn't want to move it.

Might try these guys. I talked to them several years ago when I was shopping safes, etc

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham

Curious which outfit ghosted you. I had a strongly similar experience with a local company that was recommended by INGO, to the point I asked on here if the guy died of covid. Tons of measurements, back and forth convo, agreeing to his price quote, then ... vanish. Other local company wanted 1.5x the price of the safe to move it down to the basement.

Damn thing is still in my garage.

Good luck. If you find a company you like please let us know.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Curious which outfit ghosted you. I had a strongly similar experience with a local company that was recommended by INGO, to the point I asked on here if the guy died of covid. Tons of measurements, back and forth convo, agreeing to his price quote, then ... vanish. Other local company wanted 1.5x the price of the safe to move it down to the basement.

Was that professional safe and vault? Im not sure what happened with him as they did go quiet for a while during covid and went quiet on me when I was discussing purchasing a safe through him, but they definitely seem to be active on Facebook, etc again now. Like you, not sure what happened with him for a while.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

And thats where you should leave it. Put it in a corner where the opening side of the safe is next to a wall and quickbolt it to the floor. A safe with a good house fire will always end up in the basement during the fire. In most cases the contents will be cooked or burned up and then the safe sits in water until it can be winched out.
    I know of three maybe four familys this has happened with in the past 40 years, it only ends well when a gun vault is bolted to concrete with a single roof over it.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    And thats where you should leave it. Put it in a corner where the opening side of the safe is next to a wall and quickbolt it to the floor. A safe with a good house fire will always end up in the basement during the fire. In most cases the contents will be cooked or burned up and then the safe sits in water until it can be winched out.
    I know of three maybe four familys this has happened with in the past 40 years, it only ends well when a gun vault is bolted to concrete with a single roof over it.

I don't want to hijack OP's thread but thanks for the wise input. Makes total sense. I just hate that it is visible from the driveway and sidewalk, even though it is mostly covered with blankets.

@WebSnyper that's the one.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Appliance dolly and 3 strong guys can get it done. I wouldn't mess with any movers, most are morons.

I'd also consider keeping it in the garage. Golden rod will prevent any rust issues. If you don't want it visible while the garage door is open then frame up a little storage room with a door. I did this at my last house. You can even beef up the entry door as a second layer of security.

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    like said above I do not like when the garage door is open you can see it. People walking by, driving by. Wanted the safe in my soon to be built workshop. NIck of time was who was super expensive. Still waiting on Profesional safe and vault. Came out almost a month ago did measurements. But for what ever reason will not get back with me with a price. They must not want the business or are very unorganized. @WebSnyper

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    1100lbs; that's a monster to get into the basement. The basement steps might not be rated for that weight. And if the stairway is tight, it's going to be very hard to fit the 4 guys necessary to lift it. I had a 800-lb vending machine moved into (and later out of) a basement in my previous house, and it was a very difficult move in both directions. Lots of fighting between me and the movers who initially refused to move it (both times) and a couple of dangerous really close calls.

Good luck on finding the right mover!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    like said above I do not like when the garage door is open you can see it. People walking by, driving by. Wanted the safe in my soon to be built workshop. NIck of time was who was super expensive. Still waiting on Profesional safe and vault. Came out almost a month ago did measurements. But for what ever reason will not get back with me with a price. They must not want the business or are very unorganized. @WebSnyper
    Ahhhh. For a $1,0000 dollars Alex,
    What is, Stand something in front of it.

Like a cheap green welding screen.

Top Bottom