Looks like I'm moving to Terre Haute in a few weeks...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    It's fun to make fun of Terrible Hole—I mean, Terre Haute. But in all seriousness, there were some good things happening there when I was there. I was only just starting to actually pay attention to those kinds of things by the time I left college, though, so I didn't get to take advantage of them. Joke around about TH being a sucky place to live; it's the thing to do. But then make sure you are always looking for the positive and aren't just being a complainer. People also talk about how much Fort Wayne and Indy suck, and others say that there's nothing to do in the country either.

Congrats on the gf's promotion. I hope you find a good place to live in the area, and I hope you look for ways to always make the best of your experience as well as find ways to make the town a better place, too.

ETA - Been about 2-3 years for me now, but yeah, Moggers was good stuff. Pretty nice atmosphere, too. And not far away from it is a place called Stables. That's an *expensive* place, though. So keep that in your back pocket for an anniversary or something.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    It's fun to make fun of Terrible Hole—I mean, Terre Haute. But in all seriousness, there were some good things happening there when I was there. I was only just starting to actually pay attention to those kinds of things by the time I left college, though, so I didn't get to take advantage of them. Joke around about TH being a sucky place to live; it's the thing to do. But then make sure you are always looking for the positive and aren't just being a complainer. People also talk about how much Fort Wayne and Indy suck, and others say that there's nothing to do in the country either.

Congrats on the gf's promotion. I hope you find a good place to live in the area, and I hope you look for ways to always make the best of your experience as well as find ways to make the town a better place, too.

ETA - Been about 2-3 years for me now, but yeah, Moggers was good stuff. Pretty nice atmosphere, too. And not far away from it is a place called Stables. That's an *expensive* place, though. So keep that in your back pocket for an anniversary or something.

Thanks a lot. My girlfriend was starting to get worried based on the condolences received in this thread, but you confirmed what I assumed was going on. I'm used to living in cities people hate. I've lived in Muncie for five years and was born and raised in Elwood, and both get crapped on constantly. I've enjoyed both cities even with their downsides.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    everyone who has automatic notificiation for thread replies checked caught you. He was just the first one to get her and quote you ;)
    whatever... I was caught. I admit I missed a key. :) Seems you did too, or did you mean get some chick to quote me? :):

I prefer to refer to TH as Terre Hate since this too is a common typo of mine.

I would love to meet some of you who claim TH as home at the Open Shoot I set up at ProTEQ.
    Maybe we can all commiserate our fate and have some fun despite it. :ingo:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    whatever... I was caught. I admit I missed a key. :) Seems you did too, or did you mean get some chick to quote me? :):

I prefer to refer to TH as Terre Hate since this too is a common typo of mine.

I would love to meet some of you who claim TH as home at the Open Shoot I set up at ProTEQ.
    Maybe we can all commiserate our fate and have some fun despite it. :ingo:

I won't be there, but I did like that range when I was in the area! Lots of fun. Hope y'all get to go!

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    If I were you I'd forfeit my deposit and find a different place. That isn't a good area, nor has it been for the last sixty years. It's going nowhere but downhill. I'd suggest you take a drive three or four blocks west and see the slums. Those people can walk to your house. :twocents:

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    That's what I kind of guessed. It seemed a lot like the area we live now and the previous place we lived. So far we haven't had any trouble, so I hope it will be the same way there.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Based upon what you hear about Muncie, we lived in about the third worst neighborhood for two years, and we never had any problems other than our neighbor in the apartment above us flooding our place because they left the water on.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I am down by the Kroger in the south. I hope you like your new house.

Thanks. I think we will. It's a duplex, but it's big and has hardwood floors, a basement, and a fenced in backyard, which I think my dog will love. Our duplex neighbor is supposed to be nice and and the neighbors on either side of our house are too. Our landlord seem a really nice guy and doesn't seem creepy like our last and current ones. Being right by Kroger will be great too. It's in our price range which is really awesome. The cost of living seems to be fairly high in Terre Haute compared to Muncie. We were looking at 1-2 bedroom apts for close to $600 today, and they weren't anything to write home about. We currently live in a 2 and a halfish bedroom house in Muncie for $425 a month. Now I'll just have to find job. My girlfriend got a promotion to be a GM of a store down there, which should be enough to cover the bills with my savings until I find one, so we should be fine hopefully.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I still have to unpack, but at least I'm moved in now and have the internet going. The neighborhood seems to be a lot nicer than where we've have lived for the past five years. There seems to be some annoying college kids out and about going to Kroger at night on the weekends running around and whatnot like d-bags, but that seems to be the worst so far. We had them in Muncie because of Ball State, but we didn't live in their area there. Now I just have to unpack and find a job. Lame. Also, Kroger rules. I had only been to one maybe twice before in my life.

Top Bottom