• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I see...Ideally you never really want to reload though...I mean everything I've seen where 4 thugs bust into a place wielding guns and start exchanging fire usually doesn't involve reloading....I've never ever seen someone reload in a real scenario aka most likely/typical scenario...That's why I'm wanting to move away form the 42 into something with higher capacity.

The incident either ends with them fleeing after getting rounds chucked at them or someone getting mortally wounded. I would NOT want to reload vs 4 bad guys with guns...I can post videos for reference if anyone is interested.

There are always compromises. A handgun in itself is a compromise.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    When you can't carry your panzerfaust.

A lot of people will say that the handgun is just to allow them to get to their rifle. There is always something bigger, more capable. I still carry a 26 or even a 19 from time to time. The 43 is another tool in the toolbox, for certain situations, that allows me to carry a weapon with the same SOP of handling, and trigger, etc, albeit with some reduced capacity.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Here's my question. Why would you replace the glock 26 with the 43? Purely based on thickness? If you're carrying it with the extended mag it's more likely to print than the glock 26 would be...

Carrying is very subjective. Debating on which gun, carry method and ammo never ends with a consensus. I personally hate the G26/G27 pistols. They're too thick for me to carry IWB (the only way I'll carry off duty) comfortably. If I'm going to carry OWB I'm going to carry something with a longer sight radius and more capacity. Prior to the introduction of the G42/G43 pistols there were times I would walk out of the house without a pistol because I couldn't find something which was comfortable and concealable enough. Foolish? Sure but there is a lot more to being prepared than simply carrying a gun. Simply not having a gun did not mean I was completely unprepared either.

My G43 is easy to carry which means I have no excuse for leaving the house unarmed regardless of where I'm headed. The small capacity gun that gets carried everywhere will always trump the higher capacity gun left at home. With the spare magazine I carry I have 17 rounds of 9mm. I practice my reloads regularly. You are correct that most confrontations don't involve a reload, most confrontations are over with very quickly. Not many people (particularly criminals) are capable of dealing with the stresses involved long term. Unless they are pinned down and unable to flee, the urge to survive quickly overrides any intentions of violence and they change gears and attempt to flee.

Last edited:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Here's my question. Why would you replace the glock 26 with the 43? Purely based on thickness? If you're carrying it with the extended mag it's more likely to print than the glock 26 would be...

Good question and you are correct that the G43 with the extension prints just as much or more than the G26. Sometimes my back does not permit IWB carry so I thought something thinner and lighter would conceal better OWB or in the front pocket. The front pocket carry does not allow the extended magazines but I can still gain 2 rounds of capacity in the front pocket over a snubby. So far I still prefer the G26 with a snubby in the front pocket when the back allows. But its always fun to have another glock, you cant have to many:):

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I see...Ideally you never really want to reload though...I mean everything I've seen where 4 thugs bust into a place wielding guns and start exchanging fire usually doesn't involve reloading....I've never ever seen someone reload in a real scenario aka most likely/typical scenario...That's why I'm wanting to move away form the 42 into something with higher capacity.

The incident either ends with them fleeing after getting rounds chucked at them or someone getting mortally wounded. I would NOT want to reload vs 4 bad guys with guns...I can post videos for reference if anyone is interested.

Nothing wrong with more capacity if this kind of scenario is on your risk matrix.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I shot a glock 43 today....I think it sucks....I'd much rather have my flush mag with 7 rounds than the 43. The 43 reminded me a lot of the kahr pm/cw9 with a tendency for muzzle flip.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I shot a glock 43 today....I think it sucks....I'd much rather have my flush mag with 7 rounds than the 43. The 43 reminded me a lot of the kahr pm/cw9 with a tendency for muzzle flip.

I shot both my 43's today and thought it was all good :draw: I had to test out the new Ghost mag extensions (+2) and the Ameriglo Spartan Tacticals I had put on the designated carry 43. However, I am off to the eye doctor in about a week. Those sights are getting fuzzier and fuzzier these days. Not sure I'll be able to do much about it, but at least I'll know if its just age, or something else.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I shot both my 43's today and thought it was all good :draw: I had to test out the new Ghost mag extensions (+2) and the Ameriglo Spartan Tacticals I had put on the designated carry 43. However, I am off to the eye doctor in about a week. Those sights are getting fuzzier and fuzzier these days. Not sure I'll be able to do much about it, but at least I'll know if its just age, or something else.

I wasn't as good with the 43 as I was with the 42...MAC replaced his 43 with a walther because he wasn't happy with his proficiency with the 43.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wasn't as good with the 43 as I was with the 42...MAC replaced his 43 with a walther because he wasn't happy with his proficiency with the 43.

And I shoot mine very well and find the recoil particularly manageable and much improved over the two Kahr PM9 pistols I've owned. As mentioned upthread, handguns are extremely subjective.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I watched Shooter521 ring steel at 50 and 100 yards with his. He missed every once in a while. ;)

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    To each his or her own. I thought it sucked, but that's just me. Some people like hi-points. No, but really if you like it then great, even better if others criticize you for it. If it works for you that's all that matters. People criticize the oh so underpowered .380 round all the time, but never seem to jump at the opportunity to jump in front of one.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    To each his or her own. I thought it sucked, but that's just me. Some people like hi-points. No, but really if you like it then great, even better if others criticize you for it. If it works for you that's all that matters. People criticize the oh so underpowered .380 round all the time, but never seem to jump at the opportunity to jump in front of one.
    Well, since your being like that...........well...........

If your having issues with muzzle "flip", perhaps maybe you should examine your grip or technique.

I have well over a 1k rounds thru one of my G43s, and find the recoil very manageable.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Well, since your being like that...........well...........

If your having issues with muzzle "flip", perhaps maybe you should examine your grip or technique.

I have well over a 1k rounds thru one of my G43s, and find the recoil very manageable.

It's just my opinion and that's why I don't like it. I'm glad you're happy with yours though.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's just my opinion and that's why I don't like it. I'm glad you're happy with yours though.

Again, its all about trade offs. You just have to find the balance that is right for you. Smaller gun, generally more felt recoil. Larger gun, a bit harder to conceal, but shoots easier. There is a lot that can be done with good design, but at some point, physics comes into play.

Picked up a couple of the Pearce frame inserts from Bradis today for the 43's today, and one for my 26. I have them in my 19's but had been a bit concerned about the friction fit design in the smaller guns. However, if it will keep the dust bunnies that seem to live in my 26 frame now away, it will be worth it.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Again, its all about trade offs. You just have to find the balance that is right for you. Smaller gun, generally more felt recoil. Larger gun, a bit harder to conceal, but shoots easier. There is a lot that can be done with good design, but at some point, physics comes into play.

Picked up a couple of the Pearce frame inserts from Bradis today for the 43's today, and one for my 26. I have them in my 19's but had been a bit concerned about the friction fit design in the smaller guns. However, if it will keep the dust bunnies that seem to live in my 26 frame now away, it will be worth it.

I read somewhere that that hollow hump in the back is designed intentionally for some minimal give to absorb felt recoil and contributes to the accuracy via recoil of the glock.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I read somewhere that that hollow hump in the back is designed intentionally for some minimal give to absorb felt recoil and contributes to the accuracy via recoil of the glock.

I don't see how that could be the case. I generally think it can be good to leave them open to allow you to get a finger in there to assist in pulling a mag, but that's not happening on the 43 anyway (too small) of an area.

Also, I think leaving them open allows some crud to actually escape (sand, other debris that may get in the gun if used hard, dunked in mud, sand, etc) which I had always thought would be a good thing, but again, the amount of dust bunnies I had getting in there was more overwhelming than what it was allowing to escape in my case. .

I see no way that the hollow area would assist with felt recoil reduction. In any case, the insert only fills a very small area at the end.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Had the chance to put about 200 rounds through it last week. The TTI base plates were nice and I'm really happy with the trigger after installing the Taran connector. I also like the Tru-glo TFOs that came on it a lot more than I thought I would.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thread resurrect time.

I was in the market for a smaller CC type gun for those times where one is needed so I recently joined the G43 club and picked up one of the made in USA Talo versions with the Ameriglo sights already installed. Surprisingly the trigger wasn't too bad in the G43 I received. It was a good deal considering it was cheaper to buy this version than a stock one with the regular sights and upgrading to the Ameriglo sights separately.

I also purchased a couple of Taran mag extensions, a +1 and +2. The +2 came with a stiffer spring. The new spring is very stiff and it's difficult to get that 8th round loaded plus you really have to give it some extra effort to seat the magazine. I ended up switching back to using the stock spring with the +2 base.

I'm wondering how you guys that have had more experience and some time using these magazine extensions have dealt with the spring issue? Have you used the stiffer spring that comes with the +2 extension or have you just stuck with the stock springs? Is the stock spring adequate over the long haul in your opinion?

Top Bottom