• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Tomorrow morning bright & early I will be making the trip to the North Store. I have all my id in order. I called them enough. They have service grade Winchesters in stock. Which is what I am looking for. I want a WW2 rifle. I am excited!:rockwoot:

Question:

What am I getting with that rifle? I know nothing of M1's

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    I can't wait to get my hands on her! All that history! They said the bbl aren't Winchester if I heard them right.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Take an extra $15 and buy a sling while your there, it wont come with one.
    Might want to pick up some of the HXP ammo while your there also.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I am lucky my girlfriend likes my guns and my M1 a lot. Her dad carried one in Korea and we all shoot it. Lots of fun and history behind a Garand. It's also a great rifle to get behind and shoot, very natural I think.

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Makes me want it that much more. Being in Indianapolis, I'm planning on leaving about 4:30 in the morning. I wanna get there right when it opens.

Those Winchesters will be the authentic WW2 deal, right? That's what I want.

:):

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Those Winchesters will be the authentic WW2 deal, right? That's what I want.

Likely, but not necessarily.. As stated, most have been rebuilt at an Arsenal and have worn out parts and barrel replaced (sometimes). The receiver serial number will tell you the likelihood that is saw action in WWII.

My Garand Guilde says Winchesters manufactured between June '44 and January '45 had s/n between 2,440,000 to 2,534,232. But on the next page, it says from Jan. '45 to end of production was 1,600,000 to 1,640,000! Sounds screwey but the more you research the more you'll find there were numerous exceptions and gaps and overlaps in serial numbers because of less than perfect record keeping and the fact that many companies built millions of "The greatest Battle Implement ever devised".

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Likely, but not necessarily.. As stated, most have been rebuilt at an Arsenal and have worn out parts and barrel replaced (sometimes). The receiver serial number will tell you the likelihood that is saw action in WWII.

My Garand Guilde says Winchesters manufactured between June '44 and January '45 had s/n between 2,440,000 to 2,534,232. But on the next page, it says from Jan. '45 to end of production was 1,600,000 to 1,640,000! Sounds screwey but the more you research the more you'll find there were numerous exceptions and gaps and overlaps in serial numbers because of less than perfect record keeping and the fact that many companies built millions of "The greatest Battle Implement ever devised".

There are some "Win-13" rifles out there with duplicate serial numbers, and Winchester's were only produced during the War. Doesn't mean they all fought in WWII, but they were made during it. Most probably also served on into Korea.

OP-

Have a great trip. The CMP store is a great experience and well worth the full day.

What you will get with a Winchester service grade is a very nice rifle.

Here's the two I picked up a month ago at the north store (note there is a H&R in there with its older brothers too :) ):

DSC08536.jpg

DSC08529.jpg

Album

M1 Garands pictures by jblomenberg16 - Photobucket

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Well guys I'm here. Just waiting for it to open. Left Indpls @ 3:45 this morning.
    I know it's 2 hours late in coming but if you have an hour or three to kill before the store opens there are a couple good mom and pop coffee shops up in Port Clinton that open early. Good luck today I hope you find a nice one to bring home.

Top Bottom