• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    He was in the bathroom coon fingering his gun. Weird.

All this I have foreseen.

64198666.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I personally believe that a large percentage of coon fingering ND's are reported as AD's while cleaning.

If you don't no how to clear a weapon before cleaning, maybe, there is a reason you shouldn't have a gun.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    He was in the bathroom coon fingering his gun. Weird.

Sounds like he shot himself while reholstering. I'm going to put my money on Uncle Mike's or other cheapy clip-on holster that can collapse and get caught in the trigger guard carried SOB.

There are certain deep concealment holsters that mandate removal as they rely on the pressure of your clothing to keep them in place. Those goofy not-a-holster trigger guard covers on a string, for example. The ol' hip grip also comes to mind. When I worked IT and carried deep concealment I would have had a lot of trouble not getting my 1911 wet if I didn't remove it first...

I take mine off when I'm at the office and lock it in a desk drawer, along with my spare mag, badge, and radio. It's a lot easier to do what I need to do without all that weight on my belt. It can be done safely. There's actually a whole set of rules about handing a gun when it's out of it's holster.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's better to leave in the holster when you can, but sometimes for some people, that's not a viable option (regardless of what Kirk believes).

If you do choose to unholster and then reholster (whether for bathroom duties or otherwise), there are some simple concepts to apply that will prevent both a negligent discharge and the ensuing injury and property damage. Simple things like not pointing the muzzle at stuff you don't want to shoot, keeping your finger and everything else out of the trigger guard, use a properly designed and constructed holster, etc. I know I'm preaching to the crowd, but there are certainly people reading this who could use the reminder (including me).

I just get the impression that too many people think that compulsively adhering to safety protocols is merely slavish devotion to rituals that aren't really necessary. We all need to embrace that it's not about obeying rules or whether or not you think they apply to you. It's all about not shooting stuff that not's not supposed to be shot. To reach that goal, obeying the safety rules is an integral part of the path.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It's better to leave in the holster when you can, but sometimes for some people, that's not a viable option (regardless of what Kirk believes).

If you do choose to unholster and then reholster (whether for bathroom duties or otherwise), there are some simple concepts to apply that will prevent both a negligent discharge and the ensuing injury and property damage. Simple things like not pointing the muzzle at stuff you don't want to shoot, keeping your finger and everything else out of the trigger guard, use a properly designed and constructed holster, etc. I know I'm preaching to the crowd, but there are certainly people reading this who could use the reminder (including me).

I just get the impression that too many people think that compulsively adhering to safety protocols is merely slavish devotion to rituals that aren't really necessary. We all need to embrace that it's not about obeying rules or whether or not you think they apply to you. It's all about not shooting stuff that not's not supposed to be shot. To reach that goal, obeying the safety rules is an integral part of the path.

Industrial and job site accidents are the result of this exact reasoning.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

There is a distinction between having to (e.g., going in to the Post Office) and looking for an excuse to play with it such as in the bathroom or in the gun store.

I just get the impression that too many people think that compulsively adhering to safety protocols is merely slavish devotion to rituals that aren't really necessary. We all need to embrace that it's not about obeying rules or whether or not you think they apply to you.

I agree. I know we are fighting ODD, but embracing the Four Rules will not only help us by cutting down on the number of holes we have in our bodies, but reduces the damage to the gun culture as a whole.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree. I know we are fighting ODD, but embracing the Four Rules will not only help us by cutting down on the number of holes we have in our bodies, but the gun culture as a whole.

At the risk of getting flamed.......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stop playing with them. (Guns of course) as they are not really toys although we refer to them as such on occasion.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Quality post, but no rep to give.

Blue Falcon is dead on. Complacency and a failure to understand the reasoning behind and use of safety protocols is a killer, no matter what dangerous equipment we are dealing with.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'm an a*****e, I complained to the manager at Bass Pro when a stock boy asked me if I was looking for a toy box as I was looking at safes.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Quality post, but no rep to give.

Blue Falcon is dead on. Complacency and a failure to understand the reasoning behind and use of safety protocols is a killer, no matter what dangerous equipment we are dealing with.

Got him.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If only someone on INGO had warned us about playing with guns in the bathroom. If only.

I wouldn't call it playing with guns but I take mine off quite often, it depends on the restroom. Some of those stalls are ridiculously narrow and when you drop your pants your gun is practically sitting outside the stall, at the very least visible. In that instance I will take it off and find a stable place to set it on. I typically use a patriot concealment IWB with clip so I don't have to actually 'unholster', when i'm done I just put my holster back on and move out.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I won't poop anywhere but at my house. Not only is pooping in public restrooms gross, but I prefer to poop in the nude for maximum comfort and there was this one time when I first pooped and wiped alone out in public at school when I somehow got crap on the back flap of my older brother's old shirt I was wearing that was too big and had to tuck it in super tight for the rest of the day at school. Now I only poop at home and in the nude.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I won't poop anywhere but at my house. Not only is pooping in public restrooms gross, but I prefer to poop in the nude for maximum comfort and there was this one time when I first pooped and wiped alone out in public at school when I somehow got crap on the back flap of my older brother's old shirt I was wearing that was too big and had to tuck it in super tight for the rest of the day at school. Now I only poop at home and in the nude.

Aw Geez man.............:faint:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Having suffered from IBS for a couple years (several years back), sometimes you have no choice unless you never leave the house.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    This is going to keep happening. Some of the ideas that have developed over the last couple decades would have been seen as crazy not long ago.

Somehow its been decided that if your carry weapon has a safety it is just a useless POS
    And that if you carry with an empty chamber, then your an idiot and are doomed to die in a "real" firefight!

This is BS.

But you got folks that buy it hook line and sinker. And will argue all day long, and show youtube proof of how fast it goes down...

I am not a cop and I am not in a combat situation. I carry with an external safety and nothing in the pipe. Yes I said empty chamber and safety, if you have to ask why both, then I know what kind of training you have had. And you don't understand what an accident is.

I don't want to shoot anyone and chances are far greater that I won't have to, neither will you. So shouldn't we make sure the one person we never shoot is our self?

We see numbers all the time of ND or AD, some with fatal consequence plenty of them. But I would love to see numbers on how many people get shot because they didn't get their gun at ready fast enough.

What do we do in this situation? Blame it on a cheap holster.
    Fact is if this kid had been totting an empty chamber, we wouldn't know anything about him. But he wouldn't have been "tactical ready" like all the cool dudes.

Flame on.

Top Bottom