Man commits suicide at Highsmiths gun shop in Greenfield this morning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It was aimed at the people that are saying "You don't understand" , "You shouldn't call him names for doing it"

I couldn't say whether you understand or not, but I would question the productiveness in calling someone names who is already dead.

I mean, you could kick him a few times too, but what's that gonna accomplish?

indycitizen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2016
    Fortville
    Reserve Judgement When You Don't Know the Facts

I do know the facts that provide the context to the suicide at Highsmith Guns Shop. This man was in disabling pain from a work injury. He had a tragic financial situation. His firearms had been taken away due to his spouses actions. I only point that out to resolve the "why did he go to Highsmith's."

The depression and pain were obviously to much. It is very unfortunate that he saw only this action as his way out and involved the stores employees. I don't blame the store however could there have been anymore done to prevent this? I have not been to the store to know. It seems without the facts I should not judge that establishment.

Before anyone wants to throw cowardice or weakness accusations get the facts. There is a family in pain that lost a loved one in a horrible manner. In only attempting to pull up the news articles online this forum came up on the first page. It is a shame that this man's survivors will possibly read the painful comments. I have witnessed our veterans pain and read of their tragic suicides. I don't immediately think of them as cowards. It is beyond my understanding of what a combat veteran carries as a mental burden daily.

All I would ask is for advocates of gun ownership rights to display understanding and compassion. To others in the public who oppose gun ownership it would lead them to conclude they are justified. May God have mercy on this man's soul and give his family strength to carry on.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yes, and ALSO in this final act he gets added to the numbers list of GUN VIOLENCE in America that liberals use to further restrict my rights.
    Big ****ing mess for everyone left behind from start to finish. You and me included.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Different post #1....

I would say that this ^^^ is the most different first post that I have read in the short time that I have been around INGO.

Thanks for the additional info on this matter...Bill.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I do know the facts that provide the context to the suicide at Highsmith Guns Shop. This man was in disabling pain from a work injury. He had a tragic financial situation. His firearms had been taken away due to his spouses actions. I only point that out to resolve the "why did he go to Highsmith's."

The depression and pain were obviously to much. It is very unfortunate that he saw only this action as his way out and involved the stores employees. I don't blame the store however could there have been anymore done to prevent this? I have not been to the store to know. It seems without the facts I should not judge that establishment.

Before anyone wants to throw cowardice or weakness accusations get the facts. There is a family in pain that lost a loved one in a horrible manner. In only attempting to pull up the news articles online this forum came up on the first page. It is a shame that this man's survivors will possibly read the painful comments. I have witnessed our veterans pain and read of their tragic suicides. I don't immediately think of them as cowards. It is beyond my understanding of what a combat veteran carries as a mental burden daily.

All I would ask is for advocates of gun ownership rights to display understanding and compassion. To others in the public who oppose gun ownership it would lead them to conclude they are justified. May God have mercy on this man's soul and give his family strength to carry on.
    this can also serve as a lesson to those that might follow the same path. Be considerate of others

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

Thanks for posting. It must have taken a lot to do so, in a respectful way, when there have been hurtful things said. This is a good group, we all can learn from each other, I hope you stick around.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    It happened gallions and they didn't have a range or rentals.
    Yeah and my young daughter and I had been standing right next to him shopping, minutes prior to him doing it. He got the shotgun shells from a box on a shelf, had them in his pocket.

At least he had the class to wait until we had walked away. I am sympathetic to his pain, but had the employee asked for the gun back while we were still there, I think he would have done it with us there.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some have said it's a cowards way out.
    But everyone has a breaking point. It may very widely, some people are more brittle than others.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Suicide goes against everything that I believe in.
    Morally...
    Religiously...
    [STRIKE]Filisoficly[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Fillasockacly[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Phillosficly[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Philisophickly[/STRIKE] Philosophically...

If I ever thought about committing suicide, I'd probably kill myself.

Wait....

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Suicide goes against everything that I believe in.
    Morally...
    Religiously...
    [STRIKE]Filisoficly[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Fillasockacly[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Phillosficly[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Philisophickly[/STRIKE] Philosophically...

If I ever thought about committing suicide, I'd probably kill myself.

Wait....
    If you ever get to that point give me a shout and I'll buy you a beer

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Some have said it's a cowards way out.
    But everyone has a breaking point. It may very widely, some people are more brittle than others.

I believe the whole 'coward' label was designed by those in power, starting with the rules from thousands of years ago. Any country is nothing without having men available to fight wars and defend the empire. So people were more likely to believe in stories about how one will suffer in the afterlife if they kill themselves. Making the population believe this as a leader or ruling government means not having to worry about mass suicides killing off your fighter population.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    everyone has a breaking point. It may vary widely, some people are more brittle than others.

^^QFT^^

I believe the whole 'coward' label was designed by those in power, starting with the rules from thousands of years ago. Any country is nothing without having men available to fight wars and defend the empire. So people were more likely to believe in stories about how one will suffer in the afterlife if they kill themselves. Making the population believe this as a leader or ruling government means not having to worry about mass suicides killing off your fighter population.

^^^Interesting and plausible, thanks^^^

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    "brittle" as if suicide is a matter of weakness.
    I think many self exits are done by those who are weary.

As for religious views on the subject..................nothing outright after checking with my Exhaustive Concordance.

Top Bottom