Man commits suicide at Highsmiths gun shop in Greenfield this morning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Very said to hear. I am glad he did not physically hurt others in his suicide, but hate to hear that he did it so publicly. Obviously hurt many emotionally in this act. As a member at Highsmith, I hope the media and lawyers don't try to make it seem like it is the shop's fault.

I will be praying for the loved one's and witnesses, but most of all that God reaches people through this terrible event. Genesis 50:20

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Dick move.
    Agreed

They have a range. I heard the person rented a gun and shot himself in the head.
    This is sad. I've heard of this happening with some frequency in UT, NV.

There goes gun rentals.
    Not necessarily. If they were insured, they should be fine either way. I hope the family isn't litigious

He took the cheap way out.

Wow, I feel sorry for the owners and all of the consequences they will face due to this idiot.

Agreed, what a horrible last burden to leave on others

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We struggle with the idea of suicide and efforts to "understand" it are often emotional. Our reactions vary widely because we try to attach rational thought to an irrational act. Round peg, square hole sort of thing.

IPD used to have a psychiatrist on staff who counseled officers suffering PTSD. He killed himself.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Highsmiths is one of my haunts. Good friendly people. Sad this had to happen there, or at all. My prayers for all the staff and family that has to deal with this. I hope everyone nearby will support the shop with a purchase as soon as they are back to business. And if litigation starts let's figure out a way to support the shop through that mess.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Greenfield Daily Reporter states the man was 46 year old Brent Smitley, of McCordsville. Was in shop for 20 minutes before event and only spoke to employees enough to complete paperwork for range and rental. Stated that he had a note indicating that his actions were purposeful. No reason was noted. So sad.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I don't agree with suicide, but shame on the people here casting judgement on a stranger and calling them names. In today's world that could very well be one of your kids or family one day...

No. My kids aren't being raised to be selfish. Suicide is the cowards way out. This person, was a coward.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm a firm believer in the value in judging people, but I don't really see the point in in this case. Dude that off'ed himself certainly isn't hearing it. The only ones involved who might hear it or read about it are those who loved the man.

I'd hate to be the one who made one of his loved ones feel worse than they already do by making some kind of critique that the dude will never hear anyway.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    No. My kids aren't being raised to be selfish. Suicide is the cowards way out. This person, was a coward.

Really? Some people like you may think that it is "how they are raised" but outside forces can change a person and when you have a family member who was raised well and then one day decides to end it all to everyone's surprise then it would change your thought process. I had an uncle commit suicide at his parents (my grandparents) grave site in the cemetery many years after their deaths. They raised him well. Depression can take hold and despair can change a person. For you to say that people who commit suicide is because their parents raised them to be selfish is a very ignorant, cold, and narrow minded comment.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I deal with people who are depressed daily. Suicide is selfish and helps noone. I'm sorry your uncle killed himself, but he still took the easy way out. I stand by what I said.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Suicide is the easy way of not dealing with your problems, but I think you'd have to have some brass balls to put a gun to your head and pull the trigger. That being said the guy is still a dick because of WHERE he did it not because of WHY.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    22 Veterans take their own lives every day. Most are Male, Operation Desert Storm to present. These are young people that see no other alternative. Lord, we commend their Souls to You, May Your Perpetual Light Shone Upon them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Suicide is the easy way of not dealing with your problems, but I think you'd have to have some brass balls to put a gun to your head and pull the trigger. That being said the guy is still a dick because of WHERE he did it not because of WHY.

In my school years I knew 3 boys (now men) that came home from school to find dear old dad dead. 1 in the recliner from a gun shot to the head and 2 in the tub bled out.
    Those boys were a wreck from the experience and scarred for life.
    I lost track of 2. 1 I still see. He is now and always has been crazy as a loon. Good guy just scarred from it.
    There can be no reasonable mind that puts young loved ones through this.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I don't agree with suicide, but shame on the people here casting judgement on a stranger and calling them names. In today's world that could very well be one of your kids or family one day...

Yeah, I won't call the guy names but I understand why many will. Sad situation all around, can't imagine reaching a point in my life where this seemed like the only alternative, but it really sucks that he involved so many others who were just going about their day.

Bottom line is...suicide is a selfish move, period! No consideration for those around them...for those who love them and want the best for them...and no accepting responsibility to work through their issues, but rather escape! Sad that this guy offed himself...sad that he chose to do so in a public place and cause emotional and/or psychological issues to those who witnessed it. There's always help available for those willing to seek it!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    In my school years I knew 3 boys (now men) that came home from school to find dear old dad dead. 1 in the recliner from a gun shot to the head and 2 in the tub bled out. Those boys were a wreck from the experience and scarred for life. I lost track of 2. 1 I still see. He is now and always has been crazy as a loon. Good guy just scarred from it. There can be no reasonable mind that puts young loved ones through this.

Had two (2) students (brothers) when I was teaching in GA who came home to find dad in the basement, dead by suicide.

Tough situation for the family...great young men they were too! Felt really sorry for them!

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    GREENFIELD — A man fatally shot himself Wednesday morning in the indoor shooting range at Highsmith Guns in Greenfield, police said. Police were called to the gun range, 123 N. State St., just before 11 a.m. The Daily Reporter is on the scene and will update the story as more details become available.

It happened at the Galyans store before Dicks bought it out.

I believe they started zip tying the chambers right after that.

Apparent Suicide at Castleton Galyans | 93.1 WIBC

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    CM, I agree with you. It was aimed at the people that are saying "You don't understand" , "You shouldn't call him names for doing it"
    I'm currently raising 2 of my grandkids because my DIL committed suicide.

Top Bottom