• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Jamming" is illegal.

Also, you do not own the air space above your property. It would be the same as trying to dictate whether low flying aircraft are allowed.
    I think our laws need updated. My neighbors should not have a right to fly his drone above my property.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    If it happens and you are aggravated about it, contact the police and tell them you are being harassed.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Per the article, the "drone" had no camera gear on it and was flying over the pilots own property. RC quad copters are mostly just the latest fad in the radio control hobby. I have several myself and none are set up to carry cameras. Some of you people are so paranoid!!!!!!
    To my knowledge, no drones have been used by peeping toms and I seriously doubt there's many peeping toms that want to see any of us naked.
    Within any group, there will be those idiots that stray beyond what should be acceptable behavior. The RC hobby is no different and there are a few that do stupid stuff with quads or "drones" as the media likes to demonize them. The majority of quad flyers are just guys out having fun with a flying Rc model. RC quad flyers are becoming just as maligned as all the gun crazies out there, present company included!
    Get over them people, they're just expensive toys

Matt

I am not so sure Matt. Yours doesn't have one but my friend bought one and it came with a premounted camera. He sent me video from over his neighborhood within hours of getting it.

Most normal people don;t want to see us naked I agree. BUT Peepers are gonna peep.

And finally there was this famous spying event from Colorado that caused quite a stir some months back.
    craig's mom's bush - Bing Videos (A little NSFW)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    "Jamming" is illegal.

Also, you do not own the air space above your property. It would be the same as trying to dictate whether low flying aircraft are allowed.
    Actually, you DO own the airspace up to a certain height above the ground. Public, navigable airspace is above 500 feet. You have "rights" to "uninterrupted use and enjoyment" of the airspace below 500 feet.

Wiki on the topic:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Air_rights

And why folks can't just talk to their neighbors is beyond me. If you don't like their behavior, walk over and say so.

Additional note: looks like the neighbors DID talk.

INGO lawyers - what would be reasonable force to protect property from someone's trespassing property? Some sort of net?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    "Jamming" is illegal.

But the FCC has to catch me. Only have to jam for a few seconds to put it out of control. Difficult to prove. YOU don't own the airspace over my property either.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Actually, you DO own the airspace up to a certain height above the ground. Public, navigable airspace is above 500 feet. You have "rights" to "uninterrupted use and enjoyment" of the airspace below 500 feet.

Wiki on the topic:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Air_rights

And why folks can't just talk to their neighbors is beyond me. If you don't like their behavior, walk over and say so.

INGO lawyers - what would be reasonable force to protect property from someone's trespassing property? Some sort of net?

MAJOR grey area. Believe the FAA requires them to be operated BELOW 400 ft (AGL) so as NOT to be in navigable airspace. Could also borrow that guys 40 watt laser from another thread and do for any cameras that way.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Perhaps I'll build cheap jammers and sell them on ebay, with the usual caveat about not to be used for illegal activity so I can't be held responsible. Please remeber that digital commands with spurious command detection or error correction can still be overwhelmed by raw power. If it triggers safe mode return to base, then the laser

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    "Jamming" is illegal.

You are right, many don't realize the government has ruled that we don't own the sky above our land. The government see's any aircraft including these aerial photography multicopters as aircraft's. They also have ruled that you don't own the airspace above you property, and shooting at any aircraft in Federal Airspace is a crime weather it's a guy in a balloon, a 747, or a multicopter. I fly them myself, and I am not a pest with mine. People also need to understand that to get from point a to point b you have to fly over someone's property just like passenger aircraft. Some of these are very expensive and sophisticated aircraft's, it might get very expensive shooting down one only to find out it is a $7000 camera multicopter and the owner turns you in to the feds for a vacation at camp fed.

Thankfully, Shooting Down A Drone Will Land You In Federal Prison - Forbes

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Owner must prove I had anything to do with it. " I don't know officer, it just went out of control and crashed. Operator error."

Also don't be so quick to drag the law into it. What if I tell the feds you spend an awful lot of time flying your $7000 camera drone near the nuclear power plant. Do you really want to have to drive everywhere?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...And why folks can't just talk to their neighbors is beyond me. If you don't like their behavior, walk over and say so.

On INGO, politeness is considered a sign of weakness. You only turn the other cheek to perform a tactical reload.

Not until the one "neighbor" (it takes more than proximity to be a neighbor), shot the thing down.

Darned if I know; it's a new one on me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "Jamming" is illegal.

Kinda. General consensus is your property ends and airspace begins as high as 500' AGL.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You are right, many don't realize the government has ruled that we don't own the sky above our land. The government see's any aircraft including these aerial photography multicopters as aircraft's. They also have ruled that you don't own the airspace above you property, and shooting at any aircraft in Federal Airspace is a crime weather it's a guy in a balloon, a 747, or a multicopter. I fly them myself, and I am not a pest with mine. People also need to understand that to get from point a to point b you have to fly over someone's property just like passenger aircraft. Some of these are very expensive and sophisticated aircraft's, it might get very expensive shooting down one only to find out it is a $7000 camera multicopter and the owner turns you in to the feds for a vacation at camp fed.

From your post (Forbes - Really?): Whoever willfully…sets fire to, damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated, or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce…shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years or both.

1405. Special Aircraft Jurisdiction of the United States

The special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States is a jurisdictional requirement for an aircraft piracy offense proscribed by 49 U.S.C. § 46502(a), as well as for interference with a flight crew member or attendant, in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 46504, the "enclave offenses" criminalized in that jurisdiction by 49 U.S.C. § 46506, and the destruction of aircraft and aircraft facilities offenses of 18 U.S.C. § 32(a). An aircraft is in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States only while the aircraft is "in flight."

Included in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, while "in flight," are the following:

(a) any civil aircraft of the United States; Nope Drone doesn't qualify. No registration #

(b) any aircraft of the United States armed forces; Nope

(c) any other aircraft in the United States; Nada

(d) any other (i.e., foreign) aircraft outside the United States which:

(1) has its next scheduled destination or last point of departure in the United States if the aircraft does, in fact, next land in the United States; Nope

If you REALLY read this you will see it refers to manned aircraft already under the jurisdiction of national airspace system, which drones are not.

... any civil aircraft used, operated, or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce - does your drone meet this criteria. Better be bonded and insured for A LOT. My attorney will want to see proof. If you are found to be operating a drone without proper licensing and insurance it will be your t*t i in the wringer all the while you struggle to PROVE I had anything to do with its demise. As I previously stated, if I can't just shoot it down, there are more technical ways to achieve the same result and they're actually harder to detect. Or you could just play with your little toys in areas where no one objects.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Incorrect. Does it have an FAA registration number. Do you need a pilot's license to fly it? Even a hot air balloon requires at least an operators certificate. Is your access to the national airspace relatively unrestricted. No, No, and No. It's not an aircraft. Its more akin to a kite. Its a toy no matter how much it costs

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Incorrect. Does it have an FAA registration number...

Not quite that cut and dried.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/faq/#

Under 49 United States Code 40103, the United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States and the FAA has the authority to prescribe air traffic regulations on the flight of aircraft, including UAS. Whether Federal law preempts state or local requirements for UAS depends on the precise nature of those requirements. The Department of Transportation evaluates these laws or requirements on a case-by-case basis to make sure they don't conflict with FAA's authority to provide safe and efficient use of U.S. airspace.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    (a) any civil aircraft of the United States; Nope Drone doesn't qualify. No registration #

It cant be that simple, or else youd be able to shoot down a guy who flys his microlite over your house, and AFAIK, do not require registration ether.

Top Bottom