• ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Pilot/Instructor Requirements

FAA does not certify ultralight-specific pilot knowledge and proficiency, but it expects pilots to complete training under an FAA-recognized program. By earning your ultralight pilot wings, this confirms your ultralight-specific knowledge and proficiency. Ultralight pilot flight instruction time averages 10 to15 hours, prior to solo flight. A current list of FAA-recognized USUA flight instructors can be found in our instructor list.

Aircraft is governed under FAR part 103 (ultralight aircraft) and pilot is governed by FAR parts 61 and 91

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    On the code of federal regulations site eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations section 103 related to ultralight aircraft.

103.7 Certification and registration.
    (a) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to certification of aircraft or their parts or equipment, ultralight vehicles and their component parts and equipment are not required to meet the airworthiness certification standards specified for aircraft or to have certificates of airworthiness.
    (b) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to airman certification, operators of ultralight vehicles are not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements to operate those vehicles or to have airman or medical certificates.

(c) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to registration and marking of aircraft, ultralight vehicles are not required to be registered or to bear markings of any type.

So, like I said, lack of federal registration is not a valid argument. Unless you believe it should be fine to shoot down a guy in his para glider because hes annoying you, as well.

Not speaking to the specific case mentioned, if someone is flying a drone over your property, and its legal to discharge a firearm where you live, I see no reason why you should get in trouble for it. That case is probably another anti gun ruling. I bet if he had used a paintball gun to knock it down, he wouldnt have got in trouble. Unless its true that the aircraft was not on his property when he shot it down, which means he deserves to be punished.

Pilot/Instructor Requirements

FAA does not certify ultralight-specific pilot knowledge and proficiency, but it expects pilots to complete training under an FAA-recognized program. By earning your ultralight pilot wings, this confirms your ultralight-specific knowledge and proficiency. Ultralight pilot flight instruction time averages 10 to15 hours, prior to solo flight. A current list of FAA-recognized USUA flight instructors can be found in our instructor list.

Aircraft is governed under FAR part 103 (ultralight aircraft) and pilot is governed by FAR parts 61 and 91

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If my neighbor is flying a boner drone over my property and my erection lasts more than four hours, can I shoot it down and claim self defense?
    Wait, I thought those weren't for civilian use. And think about it. Wouldn't that be considered a service?

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    If my neighbor is flying a boner drone over my property and my erection lasts more than four hours, can I shoot it down and claim self defense?

No, you have to seek medical attention. Then wait for the doctor to say "Nurse, knock it down......"

See, now we're having a conversation that matters.

Wait, I thought those weren't for civilian use. And think about it. Wouldn't that be considered a service?

Only when combined with this drone

craig's mom's bush - Bing Videos

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If someone parks in my driveway I can shoot the car since it might have a dash cam, right?

Or the flip-side hypothetical - someone can come and lean a ladder up against your fence, climb it with a video camera in hand and video you and yours going about daily life in your back yard and there is no recourse because, like, the skies are free

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    On the code of federal regulations site eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations section 103 related to ultralight aircraft.

103.7 Certification and registration.
    (a) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to certification of aircraft or their parts or equipment, ultralight vehicles and their component parts and equipment are not required to meet the airworthiness certification standards specified for aircraft or to have certificates of airworthiness.
    (b) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to airman certification, operators of ultralight vehicles are not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements to operate those vehicles or to have airman or medical certificates.

(c) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to registration and marking of aircraft, ultralight vehicles are not required to be registered or to bear markings of any type.

So, like I said, lack of federal registration is not a valid argument. Unless you believe it should be fine to shoot down a guy in his para glider because hes annoying you, as well.

Not speaking to the specific case mentioned, if someone is flying a drone over your property, and its legal to discharge a firearm where you live, I see no reason why you should get in trouble for it. That case is probably another anti gun ruling. I bet if he had used a paintball gun to knock it down, he wouldnt have got in trouble. Unless its true that the aircraft was not on his property when he shot it down, which means he deserves to be punished.

You are quite correct. My postings were meant to reference the original excerpt from Thankfully, Shooting Down A Drone Will Land You In Federal Prison - Forbes alluded to and excerpted in #34. Specifically it references the Special Aircraft Jurisdiction of the US and it is interfering with the operation of a/c of this type that gets you the 20yr expenses paid vacation in the crossbar hotel. I don't believe someones hobby spy drone rises to this standard. Point is moot for me, though. Next meeting will put a proposal before HOA to prohibit their use over anything but owners property, at restricted altitude ,and require high level of liability insurance. Already have the votes to pass it. Take toys to the park.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I don't believe someones hobby spy drone rises to this standard. Point is moot for me, though. Next meeting will put a proposal before HOA to prohibit their use over anything but owners property, at restricted altitude ,and require high level of liability insurance. Already have the votes to pass it. Take toys to the park.

Spy Drone??? Is that like a MQ 9 Reaper, because I really thought about building a smaller version without the arms. Mine is a search and rescue aerial camera used to find lost hikers in the mountains, people stranded during a flood who were told to evacuate but decided against it, etc. but it really doesn't matter. As for your HOA, whatever that is, can they pass a rule saying no one can own a gun in your area? The photographer / pilot of the aerial camera may not live in your area, and a HOA does not have jurisdiction over state and federal law. If you live anywhere close to one of those HOA thingy's, you will never see my equipment because I don't frequent those type environments. If however you see a traveling salesman in your driveway with a dash cam, feel free to not shoot up his car after he gets out just because he might be on your prop et eee.

Oh, and I'm still considering building a scaled down version of the Reaper because, well, it's just a really cool plane.

http://www.ftm.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Reaper.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not sure how many lost hikers or flood stranded victims would be in my back yard. HOA governs behavior of other homeowners in the community. We have trespassing laws to take care of the problem if you don't live here. Basically I'm at odds with the people who assert they should be able video me, or anyone really, at leisure enjoying their property and privacy. I will do what it takes to assert what I feel is my right to privacy. Can't shoot down due to discharge of firearms restriction. Jamming first, then laser camera blinding and if all else fails, two words. Kamikazi Drone. Homie don't play that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not sure how many lost hikers or flood stranded victims would be in my back yard. HOA governs behavior of other homeowners in the community. We have trespassing laws to take care of the problem if you don't live here. Basically I'm at odds with the people who assert they should be able video me, or anyone really, at leisure enjoying their property and privacy. I will do what it takes to assert what I feel is my right to privacy. Can't shoot down due to discharge of firearms restriction. Jamming first, then laser camera blinding and if all else fails, two words. Kamikazi Drone. Homie don't play that.

Agreed

Top Bottom