• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    What about dogfighting drones? A drone enters your airspace, send yours to intercept.

It is very difficult. I have been to a RC fly in where we have dog fights. 30 of them in the air with experienced pilots trying to cut each other down and we rarely have a collision, sounds like a bees nest for a while until everyone runs out of fuel or battery. One would think it would be easier, but it is not, fun to try though.

As for video recording anyone in particular, if they happen to be in the video then fine, but it's kind of like a person who runs a dash cam on their car which is becoming very popular for personal protection during a court case, if they are driving cross country and someone happens to get in the picture, then someone happens to get in the picture, but that isn't the actual intent of the video. I don't hover mine over an area unless there is a reason, and unless a person is being attacked by a pack of wolves or something rare, I don't see a reason. I don't fly mine in populated area's either, simply because there is nothing there I want to see unless there is a flood and I"m looking for people on top of their roofs needing a ride, then you can give their location to the right people and they will come and rescue them.

I understand people not wanting someone abusing the equipment, but I also don't want to be on a cross country flight with a $7000 piece of rescue equipment and have someone shooting bullets at it because they don't like it in the airspace for a short time while en route that happens to be over their property.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    If you really want to see some cool RC shoot downs, an old movie made by Dillon Precision who makes some of the best reloaders on the market did a really nice video called "Machine Gun Magic". They put lights on some large RC planes and launched them. Shooting at them with a Quad 50 and every other machine gun you can imagine. They went Through a truck load of ammo, mostly tracers since it was a night exhibition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0CKq0xRu2k

Machine Gun Magic DVD format: Books, DVDs, and Videos

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It is very difficult. I have been to a RC fly in where we have dog fights. 30 of them in the air with experienced pilots trying to cut each other down and we rarely have a collision, sounds like a bees nest for a while until everyone runs out of fuel or battery. One would think it would be easier, but it is not, fun to try though.

As for video recording anyone in particular, if they happen to be in the video then fine, but it's kind of like a person who runs a dash cam on their car which is becoming very popular for personal protection during a court case, if they are driving cross country and someone happens to get in the picture, then someone happens to get in the picture, but that isn't the actual intent of the video. I don't hover mine over an area unless there is a reason, and unless a person is being attacked by a pack of wolves or something rare, I don't see a reason. I don't fly mine in populated area's either, simply because there is nothing there I want to see unless there is a flood and I"m looking for people on top of their roofs needing a ride, then you can give their location to the right people and they will come and rescue them.

I understand people not wanting someone abusing the equipment, but I also don't want to be on a cross country flight with a $7000 piece of rescue equipment and have someone shooting bullets at it because they don't like it in the airspace for a short time while en route that happens to be over their property.

I can find no reason to object to this. I have been having a problem with people asserting their 'right' to operate their drone anyplace, and in any way, they see fit. Not sure about the cross country flight aspect though. Don't the rules say line of sight operation. Would think you would drive to the vicinity of the 'action' then launch.

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Remember Google Glass? People used to wear them everywhere with cams going. The "problem" with Glass was that it was obvious that someone was wearing one and taking pictures in public places. But there's the rub: the pictures were of public places where there is no right to privacy as much as inside your own home. Sure, there are social norms where privacy expectations are exceeded (like taking pictures under someone's undergarmets), but just taking a picture or video in public doesn't seem to be prohibited in general.I wonder how you erect "POSTED" signs to prohibit drones? Here is a link to the FAA's proposed rule on drones.
    https://www.faa.gov/uas/nprm/

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Or the flip-side hypothetical - someone can come and lean a ladder up against your fence, climb it with a video camera in hand and video you and yours going about daily life in your back yard and there is no recourse because, like, the skies are free

So I can shoot the ladder, then? Or is it the camera?

What if my neighbor has security cameras on his house and one captures my backyard as it watches the back entrance to his garage? Shoot it?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

What if my neighbor has security cameras on his house and one captures my backyard as it watches the back entrance to his garage? Shoot it?

How many years to you get for murder of an inanimate object? :):

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How many years to you get for murder of an inanimate object? :):

Depends on the county. I'd probably just get a stern talking to from the judge here. Well, *I* wouldn't because I'd make the news and get 4x the normal sentence to 'send a message' or something. Most people would, though.

I'm just trying to establish the line where I get to shoot inanimate objects to preserve my privacy in an area where I can be observed from places of public vantage point or my neighbor's vantage point.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Depends on the county. I'd probably just get a stern talking to from the judge here. Well, *I* wouldn't because I'd make the news and get 4x the normal sentence to 'send a message' or something. Most people would, though.

I'm just trying to establish the line where I get to shoot inanimate objects to preserve my privacy in an area where I can be observed from places of public vantage point or my neighbor's vantage point.

Unfortunately so. While I digress from the purpose of the thread, it would be nice to see a proper balance of the reasonable expectation for a standard higher than street average and not being excused from the law but at the same time not expect 200 years in prison for jaywalking to 'send a message'. The middle ground seems to get pretty empty.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hey, YOU face down a boner drone and see if you don't reach for some foil.

BONER DRONES ARE REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NSFW or something.............

[video=youtube;A5BGH66E5-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5BGH66E5-k[/video]

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

No. I believe you were advocating that the agrieved has no recourse.

Top Bottom