• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I would argue that food should be/is exempt. I could be wrong but you have a garden to provide sustenance and it this economy, it is cheaper to have a garden than to go to the grocery. So without the garden, you would not be able to afford the buy replacement.
    the news was reporting this morning that watering flowers, trees and gardens for now is still ok.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    When they drilled my well, they went 53' deep and the water head was 7' below ground. They were able to pump 70 gallons per minute. It'd be interesting to see what the head level is now.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Recycled water...

I wash mine at Mike's Car wash...they recycle all their water. So, YES, I WILL have my patrol car washed.

Very good.We will make an exception for you...No doubt to effectively fight fires,the fire departments must keep the trucks clean,and they will use Mikes also.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    This is a misunderstanding. Water is not a commodity that has a price driven by market forces. The Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission enforces the price which has been set by law. Whether the water company has a trillion gallons in reserve, or only one gallon, the metered price for the water would be the same.

As the reserves drop, the ability of the water company to maintain pressure in lines, including fire hydrants, drops as well. Also, Indianapolis has the largest surface water source supply of any city in America. As the water level drops, the cost to treat water coming from those sources skyrockets.

The average idiot will continue to use water without regard to the conditions, and what it means for the future, until he is forced not to do so. We want citizens notifying the police of violators. It is far more economical than having the cops driving up and down each street daily looking or them. It also helps to modify the behavior of those who society does not want acting in a manner inconsistent with the mutual benefit of said society. Turning in your neighbor is good for all of us.

Yep, let us just do your job for you. While they are turning in their neighbor for watering they can go ahead and let you know if they have any guns too or anything else you deem improper.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Water is not a commodity that has a price driven by market forces. The Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission enforces the price which has been set by law. Whether the water company has a trillion gallons in reserve, or only one gallon, the metered price for the water would be the same.

As the reserves drop, the ability of the water company to maintain pressure in lines, including fire hydrants, drops as well. Also, Indianapolis has the largest surface water source supply of any city in America. As the water level drops, the cost to treat water coming from those sources skyrockets.

The average idiot will continue to use water without regard to the conditions, and what it means for the future, until he is forced not to do so. We want citizens notifying the police of violators. It is far more economical than having the cops driving up and down each street daily looking or them. It also helps to modify the behavior of those who society does not want acting in a manner inconsistent with the mutual benefit of said society. Turning in your neighbor is good for all of us.

Your first paragraph is a clear statement of the root cause of the problem.

The average idiot continues to use water without concern for the future because the government has been very effective at eliminating price signals from utilities markets; you pointed out the skyrocketing cost of treatment with the lowering of water levels....yet the same price is charged for the end product....

If the facts of your first paragraph were not so (which, I believe, is what hornadylnl was alluding to), then prices would, indeed, rise to the point that usage would be self-regulating. Fletch covered this well earlier.

This is just another symptom of governments assigning rights where none exist.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Okay, I was trying to get opinions on this topic because I didn't WANT to inject my opinion (and thereby start an argument right off). And I think I'm still going to evade giving my opinion in favor of attempting to reshape the question:

Posit that a totally free market exists and that ground water for human and commercial consumption is provided by one or more entities other than government. Aside from the question of how fire brigades are metered and charged by said entities for their usage, how does a responsible entity simultaneously raise prices on the cost of water while preserving the water supply? Let us posit that free market prices may be raised enough to limit - but not stop - excessive water usage and water levels continue to drop. What steps may the water-controlling entity(s) take to preserve their business as well as preserve limited resources for the public good? Or do they have a moral or business reason to conserve limited resources?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It would be much easier to sneak and waste water under our current system than cheating my meter. If water is $10 a gallon, I'm going to invest in a lot of Lysol to cover the 2-3 dueces per flush. If its that bad, are my neighbors going to peer into my windows to watch my water usage?

BH, I really hope you don't agree with jakes position of pitting neighbors against neighbors and police state mentality.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Okay, I was trying to get opinions on this topic because I didn't WANT to inject my opinion (and thereby start an argument right off). And I think I'm still going to evade giving my opinion in favor of attempting to reshape the question:

Posit that a totally free market exists and that ground water for human and commercial consumption is provided by one or more entities other than government. Aside from the question of how fire brigades are metered and charged by said entities for their usage, how does a responsible entity simultaneously raise prices on the cost of water while preserving the water supply? Let us posit that free market prices may be raised enough to limit - but not stop - excessive water usage and water levels continue to drop. What steps may the water-controlling entity(s) take to preserve their business as well as preserve limited resources for the public good? Or do they have a moral or business reason to conserve limited resources?

Easy, they could throttle your usage if you exceed a certain limit...limits could change in times such as these. While the limits don't float, the relatively free cellular market does this all the time.

Yes, a private entity or entities would definitely have a vested interest in maintaining and preserving the resource. No matter what sector, no one wants to be the business that failed hundreds or thousands of customers.

If you think about it, the current ban is using an artificial price increase to attempt to regulate water usage.

The difference? Under the current setup, if you're slick, you can get away with the "excess" water usage...under the market solution, it would likely be quite a bit tougher.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    So Citizens' Water has gotten the Mayor to approve an emergency ban on watering lawns, rinsing driveways, filling empty swimming pools. Fines can be levied for up to $2500 (for a third citation in a one-year period) but police won't be looking for violators; they'll depend upon citizens' complaints to identify ordinance-breakers.

So, the question I have for INGOers is: Is this a typical "police state power grab" and are citizens who rat out their neighbors being "good citizens" or just "squealers"?

No, they just want to know who the low down, wormy, *******s in the neighborhood are.. If they can get you to tell on your neighbor for that, what else is there?(to tell)

Top Bottom