• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    He's got a point. Some people start foaming at the mouth whenever Rambone posts a thread so they can talk about how inaccurate or exaggerated/sensational/whatever and ignore the fact that even narrowly defined laws are often broadly interpreted.

The simple fact here is that a bill has been proposed to legally allow the government to accuse a citizen of terrorism then ship them off to a military prison with no due process at all. I don't care how unlikely you may think it that the power is abused, (while disregarding that we've already rounded up citizens and put them in camps) the fact that they have that power for any reason is scary. When most republican candidates are openly calling for ignoring the constitution when dealing with "terrorism" I can't see how S. 1867 wouldn't be alarming. To dismiss it so easily seems absurd.

On another note, why haven't we imprisoned all these politicians who hold office for violating their oath to uphold and defend the constitution? In my opinion, they ought to be charged with treason and hung from the highest tree in D.C.

Some nice quotes for you who are so casual about this.

"Free government is founded in jealousy, not confidence. It is jealousy and not confidence which prescribes limited constitutions, to bind those we are obliged to trust with power.... In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in men, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution." -- Thomas Jeffferson, 1799

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." -- John Philpot Curran

“There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men.” -- Edmund Burke

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation." -- General Douglas MacArthur

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty." -- John Adams, 1772

"There is one safeguard known generally to the wise, which is an advantage and security to all, but especially to democracies as against despots. What is it? Distrust." -- Demosthenes: Philippic 2, sect. 24

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -- Patrick Henry

And finally, "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." ~James Madison

Our Founding Fathers --> :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:
    He's got no point. I don't know Kirk, but I've read enough of his posts to get a feel for his view of the world and his place in it (what he allows us to see, anyway). I get the feeling there's absolutely no loyalty to the status quo for the sake of loyalty nor for the sake of self-preservation or the evasion of fear. Kirk seems to be doing what most rational people would do.

The problem with Rambone's posts is that he is guilty of exactly the same thing he finds fault with: hyperbole and exaggeration for the sake of manipulation and control through the instillment of fear. That bill wasn't proposed for the purpose of rounding up U.S. citizens and enlarging the police state. That such a consequence is more easily implemented through this bill (or others) is cause for concern and diligence, to be sure. And no one here would have any problem with anybody, even Rambone, pointing that out.

Histrionics are never effective means of persuasion because it doesn't appeal to the rational people.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The purpose of the federal government is to kill our enemies and to enforce our rights.

We must ensure that our rights do not become causalties in any war.

I do not believe this bill poses the danger that the OP claims. However, he is right for raising concerns. Those concerns will always be there regardless of a particular federal statute. This is why we must remain skilled, armed and vigilant.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    He's got no point. I don't know Kirk, but I've read enough of his posts to get a feel for his view of the world and his place in it (what he allows us to see, anyway). I get the feeling there's absolutely no loyalty to the status quo for the sake of loyalty nor for the sake of self-preservation or the evasion of fear. Kirk seems to be doing what most rational people would do.

The problem with Rambone's posts is that he is guilty of exactly the same thing he finds fault with: hyperbole and exaggeration for the sake of manipulation and control through the instillment of fear. That bill wasn't proposed for the purpose of rounding up U.S. citizens and enlarging the police state. That such a consequence is more easily implemented through this bill (or others) is cause for concern and diligence, to be sure. And no one here would have any problem with anybody, even Rambone, pointing that out.

Histrionics are never effective means of persuasion because it doesn't appeal to the rational people.

I was under the impression that most of Kirk's issue was that the wording didn't allow for this to be used against citizens and legal residents, however that wording had been removed.

Anyway, here's the main body of Rambone's post:
    rambone said:
    S. 1867 takes us one step closer toward a military dictatorship, all under the auspices of safety and security. It contains provisions that allow American citizens to be sent to military prisons indefinitely if they are accused of a terror-related crime. Its not enough that we have militarized Federal agencies reigning over us and destroying our liberties... these sadistic cretins actually want the military itself to start enforcing the laws and delivering justice.

Due Process is dying before our eyes. Did it really matter if Obama or McCain were elected? McCain wants a dictatorship just as bad as Obama.

All it really does is mention that the bill provides for a legal way for the government to deprive U.S. citizens of due process and put them in military prison indefinitely. The same government that already does this with hundreds of suspected terrorists who have been released with no charge, and the same government that rounded up Americans of Japanese descent and put them in a camp. Do you think his title is exaggerated? I don't think so, because should this bill pass and be implemented, it's pretty much a certainty that American citizens will indeed be sent to military prisons.

I really can't see how any of what he says is "hyperbole." The way I see it, U.S. Senators openly proposing a bill to strip U.S. Citizens of due process based upon suspicion is a big ****ing deal. It's an enormous step in the erosion of our rights and every rational person who gives a damn about freedom should be upset about it. Rationalizing politicians pissing on the Constitution by saying that they don't intend for their illegal power to be misused, and therefore the bill is just "cause for concern and diligence" seems to me an attitude that will fully bring us to a police state. I think the problem is that more Americans should be really pissed off about what our government is doing.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I do not believe this bill poses the danger that the OP claims. However, he is right for raising concerns. Those concerns will always be there regardless of a particular federal statute. This is why we must remain skilled, armed and vigilant.
    Thank you for the lively debate Kirk -- I think your analysis adds an important element to the discussion. I'd prefer to know if my concerns were unfounded.

Lawyers will argue, no question. It is a disagreement between two sets of lawyers. And, as my father says, ask two lawyers, get three opinions.
    And now that we've established and agreed that the bill is silent about who it will apply to, we are left at the mercy of notoriously indecisive lawyers and an executive branch that loves to push the limits.

I am left feeling the same about this as I did when I first posted it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was under the impression that most of Kirk's issue was that the wording didn't allow for this to be used against citizens and legal residents, however that wording had been removed.

From the Senate version for now of the bill but the language is in other federal statutes. The argument is between two sets of lawyers in the Senate and the White House.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    From the Senate version for now of the bill but the language is in other federal statutes. The argument is between two sets of lawyers in the Senate and the White House.

Well I can only hope the provision excluding citizens and legal residents stays in, if the bill is passed. If that's the case then I don't see that it would be a major issue. Otherwise there definitely would be.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    You guys are debating about big historical, policy, and legal matters. I just want to keep my habeas corpus and my due process. You know, stuff from the Magna Carta, a pretty advanced legal document for the Middle Ages and, it looks like, even for today. This way if I ever get false accused, I stand a fighting chance. Please? Can I haz my rights?

If McCain wants to turn back the clock to the time of King John, he should consult my buddies Bill and Ted. They're righteously excellent.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Anyway, here's the main body of Rambone's post:

All it really does is mention that the bill provides for a legal way for the government to deprive U.S. citizens of due process and put them in military prison indefinitely. The same government that already does this with hundreds of suspected terrorists who have been released with no charge, and the same government that rounded up Americans of Japanese descent and put them in a camp. Do you think his title is exaggerated? I don't think so, because should this bill pass and be implemented, it's pretty much a certainty that American citizens will indeed be sent to military prisons.

I really can't see how any of what he says is "hyperbole." The way I see it, U.S. Senators openly proposing a bill to strip U.S. Citizens of due process based upon suspicion is a big ****ing deal. It's an enormous step in the erosion of our rights and every rational person who gives a damn about freedom should be upset about it. Rationalizing politicians pissing on the Constitution by saying that they don't intend for their illegal power to be misused, and therefore the bill is just "cause for concern and diligence" seems to me an attitude that will fully bring us to a police state. I think the problem is that more Americans should be really pissed off about what our government is doing.

Either our military hierarchy will have to be radically altered or there will have to be a complete breakdown of civilian government before we get to the place where we have a "military dictatorship" in this country. My reason for making that statement is that the military in this country has, since its founding, always been operated under the doctrine of civilian control. It is much easier to conceive of circumstances where a legitimate office holder would finagle control of the country through unconstitutional government orders that created a pretext for declaring Martial Law than that the military services would seize power.

My problem with Rambone and others is, as I've said before, that they squeal so loudly about issues which, when looked at rationally, pose little-to-no danger to the country - or at least not as much danger as they claim - to the point that no one takes them seriously. And it's the use of hyperbole and stridency that makes it difficult to cut through the noise to the heart of the potential issue which makes me largely ignore Rambone and filter his comments through other responders to his posts.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Judge Andrew Napolitano and Col. Douglas Macgregor seem to be wearing their tinfoil hats too tightly. The Judge thinks that these detainment provisions "shred the last vestiges of the constitution."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcKw_MOKAyE[/ame]

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Guys like kirk will try to explain it away because thats easier than facing the truth.

The original quote at issue.

UM made it the issue when he highlighted it.

You quoted him and made the statement that he (dlbrown75) had a point.

The issue, then, is whether or not Kirk is trying to explain it away because he's not capable of facing the truth.

Now, is that your impression of Kirk, or not?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Senate Bill to OK Indefinite Detention of U.S. Citizens Without Charge or Trial | The New American
    In what may be a tale too bizarre to be believed by millions of Americans, the U.S. Senate appears ready to pass a bill that will designate the entire earth, including the United States and its territories, one all-encompassing “battlefield” in the global “war on terror” and authorize the detention of Americans suspected of terrorist ties indefinitely and without trial or even charges being filed that would necessitate a trial.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Republican Congressman speaks out

U.S. Rep. Justin Amash opposes defense authorization bill, calling it "anti-liberty"
    U.S. Rep. Justin Amash, R-Cascade Township, is speaking out against a defense bill being debated in the U.S. Senate this week, calling it “one of the most anti-liberty pieces of legislation of our lifetime.”
    According to the American Civil Liberties Union, the National Defense Authorization Act will allow the U.S. military to declare national territory part of the "battlefield" in the “War on Terror.”
    Authored by U.S. Sen. Carl Levin, D-Michigan, and Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, the act would “permit the federal government to indefinitely detain American citizens on American soil, without charge or trial, at the discretion of the President,” Amash said in a Facebook posting.
    “It is destructive of our Constitution,” said Amash, one of five House Republicans to vote against the measure when it passed in the House on a 322-96 vote in May. The Senate is scheduled to vote on the bill this week.
    “The President should not have the authority to determine whether the Constitution applies to you, no matter what the allegations,” Amash said. “Please urge your Senators to oppose these outrageous provisions.”
    Although the bill says “the requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to citizens of the United States,” Amash said the language is “carefully crafted to mislead the public.
    “Note that it does not preclude U.S. citizens from being detained indefinitely, without charge or trial, it simply makes such detention discretionary,” he wrote.

czyhorse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Seymour
    Even if the exception to American Citizens is left in the bill...we already have set a precedent in the killing of a suspected terrorist who was an American Citizen. We only need to label an undesirable a domestic "terrorist" and send in the drones.

The PTB are scared and will do anything to stay in control. The stage is being set to put the jackboot to any resistance that challenges the status quo.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    Are you not a citizen then?:dunno:

If you are a citizen and are accused of being a member of AQ then they would go to the USA, convene a grand jury and get an indictment and a warrant for your arrest. You would be taken away but not to any gulag, but to Hammond.

You then have a bail hearing, attorney status and a trial date.

That would happen with or without 1867.

Unless, of course, the POTUS orders your execution!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Passed the House in May

This bill already passed the House in May with a 322-96 vote. Your Senator could be the last thing standing before this monstrosity from becoming law. This is very serious.

H.R. 1540: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 (GovTrack.us)

Out of the entire House of Representatives, only 6 Republicans saw anything wrong with this bill. The other 227 Republicans supported it.
    NO - Amash, Justin [R] (MI-3)
    NO - Campbell, John [R] (CA-48)
    NO - Chaffetz, Jason [R] (UT-3)
    NO - Duncan, John [R] (TN-2)
    NO - McClintock, Tom [R] (CA-4)
    NO - Paul, Ron [R] (TX-14)

Every single Indiana Representative voted for the government to have these new powers.
    AYE - Visclosky, Peter [D] (IN-1)
    AYE - Donnelly, Joe [D] (IN-2)
    AYE - Stutzman, Marlin [R] (IN-3)
    AYE - Rokita, Todd [R] (IN-4)
    AYE - Burton, Dan [R] (IN-5)
    AYE - Pence, Mike [R] (IN-6)
    AYE - Carson, André [D] (IN-7)
    AYE - Bucshon, Larry [R] (IN-8)
    AYE - Young, Todd [R] (IN-9)

Top Bottom