• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    So haw does the scope base work, is there a specific one to use or what?
    I assume it attaches to the screw hole or whatever it is there on the top of the shield.
    I suppose I will find out once I pay mine off but the more I know the better.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The heat shield just clips on and isn't strong or stable enough to mount anything to it.

The Scout Scope is mounted on a Ranch Products scout mount that replaces the top of the gas block.
    I did that because mine isn't a ranch rifle with scope mount scallops on the receiver.
    It is a very sold mount; I use a 2-7 x 32 pistol scope.

Ranch products web site isn't very good; I telephoned them to get a silver mount. Ranch Products

Midway also sells the mount in black oxide finish. Ranch Scope Base Ruger Mini-14 Black Oxide

If I had a Ranch Rifle, I go with a 1-4 variable for close-up speed and mid-range precision.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    That gb is a nice piece if you like the a team nostalgia of it. I'm guessing they made probably 1 in 10 as a gb with the rest being standard and ranch models. Ruger used to be weird about selling guns with military style features to the general public. The 30 round mags, flash hiders, and bayonet lugs were for a time strictly a police/govt contract proposition.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Newer Ranch Rifles come with a set of scope rings as well as with a rail that will screw onto the tops of the scope ring mounts.

If yours is drilled and tapped for the rail, but doesn't come with one, email Ruger and they'll send you one for free.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Tapco mags work great as long as you don't run m855. The nose of the bullet would catch the front of the magazine and cause a failure to feed almost every time. Could probably file the inside of the magazine down a touch and be just fine. Both the tapco mags I had for my mini did this and I sold it before I could ever tinker with it. Ran 55grain ammo just fine though. Definitely stay away from pro mags. Bought one for my mini and it caused such terrible jams that the bolt was tearing the hell out of the casings making them unsafe to fire.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Anyone who knocks the accuracy of the newer Mini-14s clearly has never shot one. My newer Mini will go toe-to-toe with my 5 ARs @ 100yds. I haven't tested them side-by-side yet at longer distances since I haven't finished my 500yd range yet.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I get the first half check on the first of Feb. I use some of it t put some money on my new Ranch Rifle and then by the end o March hopefully r before if things go better that likely, I will own it and bring it home. Then it is a matter of getting out to the range to shoot is to see if I can shoot it worh a darn. I am looking forward to getting it too. Glad they finally worked out the kinks nd made it a rifle worth having finally. Back in the A-Team days I gor my first and wonder how it was that the A-team could always hit their targets while I found it hard to hit the side of a barn, inside it or out. It is also nice to see Ruger selling 30 round mags to the public where before this they would only sell those to the Man.

It should be great and I will even post a picture or two here for you folks to enjoy too. :)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I would stay away from the Ruger 30rd mags and just stick to the 20rd mags plus they are cheaper.

I haven't heard of anyone who had the Ruger 30rd mags and had problems with those. Have you had trouble with them?

I was given one for Christmas, but I haven't used it yet.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I would stay away from the Ruger 30rd mags and just stick to the 20rd mags plus they are cheaper.
    I need some idea why you say this since I haven't heard of any trouble with them. I have even known people with the FA version that used them and they never told me of any problems. LEO's have been using them for many years now, I would think if there were problems with them they would stick to the 20's too but they don't. :dunno:

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    I have six twenty round Pro Mags for my Mini, and they seem to function just as well as the 5 round Ruger.
    I am satisfied with my rifle's accuracy out to 400 yards.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    No problems with ruger 30 round mags.

Becareful when buying used magazines, its a lot like 1911 magazines where they use tricky wording to make you think you are building a colt made 1911 magazine. Just because it has "COLT 45acp" or "Ruger Mini-14" on it doesn't mean its a colt or ruger made magazine.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Finally, last week I had the chance to test out the Ruger factory 30 round mag in my Mini 14.

The mag worked fine, through about 120 shots, and fed every round perfectly.

Only thing was, 3 times, the bolt locked back after a shot (not the last round in the mag). The gun is still fairly new, not quite 350 rounds, so I'm just gonna keep shooting it (if I can afford the ammo now that it's gone back up).

Anybody else have that problem with a Mini 14?

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    The Tapco G2 mags run fine. I have 4 and I have had no issues. The Gen 1 mags are the bad ones, but have a lifetime warranty and Tapco will replace them with the G2 mags.

Dave

Top Bottom