• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The best thing about the Mini is a lot of folks think poorly of them so it is easy to find and buy the things you want for it. No competition means they aren't always sold out. Now that they have fixed the barrel walk they are a pretty nice rifle. I get that a lot of folks want the rRanch or Tactical but I really do want th basic wood, I like the way it looks. IF and yes this is an IF, things go well I ill have it by March if not next payday. I will then see how the TAPCO mag works and all but should the SHTF I already have a few factory magazines for it from the old pencil barrel I had 15 years ago.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The best thing about the Mini is a lot of folks think poorly of them so it is easy to find and buy the things you want for it. No competition means they aren't always sold out. Now that they have fixed the barrel walk they are a pretty nice rifle. I get that a lot of folks want the rRanch or Tactical but I really do want th basic wood, I like the way it looks. IF and yes this is an IF, things go well I ill have it by March if not next payday. I will then see how the TAPCO mag works and all but should the SHTF I already have a few factory magazines for it from the old pencil barrel I had 15 years ago.

The Ranch Rifle is the one with the wood stock.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Ranch = not threaded
    Tactical = threaded
    GB = threaded +bayo lug
    Target= weird comp thingy that looks like a silencer

Mini 14 inaccuracy is grossly exaggerated like ak inaccuracy.

Soon some guy will come a long and try to tell you how they are inaccurate and the bullets from them magically destabilize past 100 yards. Put the rifle on the paper. The paper doesn't lie.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    GB? I guess I need to look on the Ruger site and see what that one is...

I owned and ridiculously inaccurate Mini 14 so it isn't just a myth.
    I agree though about the AK, I don't own an AR and I don't feel like I can't shoot out to the same distances.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The first Mini 14 that I considered buying was (I believe) a retired police duty-weapon, 1995 vintage. It looked like a well-used gun with a lot of "trunk-dings" in the stock, but otherwise well cared for. I put 100 rounds through it and it was a great shooter. But, when I stripped it for cleaning, I was surprised to see the rear end of the bolt, where it strikes the hammer, was badly peened and rounded over.

That made me decide to just spend the extra cash and get a new one, which I did, and I'm happy with that. But that does make me wonder what the expected round count should be expected with a Mini-14 under normal use.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Only downside I've noticed is that it dings up the brass and slings them a country mile.

But that motivated me to finally make myself a brass catcher.

I put a 1911 buffer at each end of the operating rod movement. It smoothed the operation and reduced the brass fling by about 2/3's.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I put a 1911 buffer at each end of the operating rod movement. It smoothed the operation and reduced the brass fling by about 2/3's.

Is that the little plastic thing that you can get from Midway? I've seen those, and thought about trying them.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    It appears that Ruger no longer makes a "basic" Mini-14 that isn't a Ranch.
    I checked on the one being held for me and it is indeed a Ranch :yesway:

I am looking forward to getting it. I have a rather large Ruger collection and I felt that, now that the barrel problem has been solved, I decided it was time I added a Mini-14 to the group. It would be nice if it had a bayonet lug and a threaded barrel woild also be nice but I really prefer wood over plastic, yes that much, so this is what I am getting. As a former blacksmith it seems I could move the front sight back and thread the barrel if I really felt it was needed but right now I am fine without.

While I do have a few mags now, will e needing more. That was what brought up the TAPCO Intrafuse 30 round mag. I suppose I will have to see for myself but I do know it fits the magwell fine because I checked it already.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    AR is the better rifle for sure. If you just cant dig the AR and still have to have a Ruger I would have Accuracy Systems build me one. That way you know what you are getting and all the shortcoming of the rifle are corrected.

I weighed it out and went the AR route never looked back. I love my AR and wouldn't part with it unless it was for another AR. I watched two of my uncles screw around with Mini's and they both threw a bunch of money in the toilet only to go the AR route in the end. Accuracy was the problem in both those rifles especially when things got hot. Rifles were super loud and dinged brass and threw it onto the neighboring shooter. Made competition hard and they eventually gave up.

Mini is fine for blasting stuff and if you don't ever plan on shooting a lot or accessorizing much. If you like to stack bullets in the same hole and shoot high volume and enjoy working on the gun yourself an AR is the way to go. Give it some thought.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I will take a production model and be fine. I have plenty of SD rifles, like an FAL for instance. This is something I have wanted for a while though and will take it as is without any worry. I do think that people sell the rifle short, with good reason, though now that the reason has been addressed, I bet I can take on an AR for accuracy, if I were accurate at least, and do just fine. I have a Ruger SR556 which is AR-like, in fact it is what the AR should be since it isn't direct impingement. If I was ablle to find someone local selling 80% receivers I would consiger an AR too but so far I can't and I don't want to order one and have a paper trail. This isn't because it is better, it is because they are everywhere and the magazines can be picked up loaded off the dead when the SHTF. :):

Until then I want a Mini-14 and not an AR. Don't want to ruin my record. :)

Also, thank you for the GB answer Sig1473. If I had the money all at once I would probably buy that rifle but it will be two months of paying, half now and half later, for me to do this as I am on disability. :(

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    AR is the better rifle for sure. If you just cant dig the AR and still have to have a Ruger I would have Accuracy Systems build me one. That way you know what you are getting and all the shortcoming of the rifle are corrected.

I weighed it out and went the AR route never looked back. I love my AR and wouldn't part with it unless it was for another AR. I watched two of my uncles screw around with Mini's and they both threw a bunch of money in the toilet only to go the AR route in the end. Accuracy was the problem in both those rifles especially when things got hot. Rifles were super loud and dinged brass and threw it onto the neighboring shooter. Made competition hard and they eventually gave up.

Mini is fine for blasting stuff and if you don't ever plan on shooting a lot or accessorizing much. If you like to stack bullets in the same hole and shoot high volume and enjoy working on the gun yourself an AR is the way to go. Give it some thought.

They are not as accurate as a DI AR but what miltary general issue gun is? DI system is just more accurate then piston system.

I am not big into competition but i doubt you see many hk,sig, ak, etc... rifles. That doesn't make them bad rifles just not easy to setup for competition.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns-rifles-shotguns/370274-pre-ban-gb-mini-14-a.html

So let me ask the experts here, any reason not to get the above rifle?
    Anything wrong with it anything evident? Should this one have the barrel waver?

What is barrel waver?

I'm guessing you are talking about groups opening up when the barrel gets hot? Yea it will happen with all guns that gun has the thinner barrel so it will happen sooner. I guess i don't understand the problem if you are doing mag dumps what does it matter if it goes from 1.5moa gun to 3-4 moa gun.

I personally wouldn't buy that rifle. The price isn't bad per say but you can catch better deals on new rifles. I will say if that wasn't being banged up that rifle would be going for a lot more there is GB collectors but I'm certainly not one of them.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Did, have both. To be honest, I have never been attracted to the AR platform even though it is more accurate but I have one and another to build. I just like the Mini's looks and handling and the Ranch Rifle's wooden stock. If I had to grab a rifle and run out the door I would probably grab the AR (since I keep it near the door).

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    . If I had to grab a rifle and run out the door I would probably grab the AR (since I keep it near the door).
    I would grab a shotgun personally but if it was something needing a rifle, it would be an AK.

I thought that might not be a good choice but wondered and the new one is pretty close in price. I thought maybe the mags ight make it a deal though.

I suppose I will go for the Ranch I have on hold then. :) I should be able to take it home by the end of the month.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I originally wanted an M-1 carbine.
    I found a used Mini-14 for about the same money. It is about the same size and ammo is cheaper and more powerful.
    That's how I got my Mini and I like it.

With Scout Scope:

Top Bottom