• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    OCing a pistol is quite different than OCing a rifle. It's an issue of common sense. Again, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    Yea it's common sense, we get your argument. We also realize your argument is a logical fallacy. Care to try again? Stop pretending you know what is best for another adult.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I, as a 300lb man, can walk around in a sling bikini like borat, but I don't... :):
    So? You didn't answer my question. There are a lot of things I could do, but don't. I could clean my house more frequently. I could get up and exercise in the morning instead of get another hour of sleep. I could spend less time on INGO.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Since I do not like others deciding how I should defend myself, I try to extend others the same courtesy.
    Guess not everyone thinks the same thing.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    So? You didn't answer my question. There are a lot of things I could do, but don't. I could clean my house more frequently. I could get up and exercise in the morning instead of get another hour of sleep. I could spend less time on INGO.

The difference is, carrying around a rifle in public will cause a panic, just like my fat *** in a thong. Common sense dictates not to do it, even though you can.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The difference is, carrying around a rifle in public will cause a panic, just like my fat *** in a thong. Common sense dictates not to do it, even though you can.

And there are people that say having a gun is not common sense. Do you listen to them, or decide for yourself?

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    And there are people that say having a gun is not common sense. Do you listen to them, or decide for yourself?

The argument at hand has nothing to do with lawful ownership of firearms.

With that said...

The fact of the matter is that most people are fine with open carry of handguns because they see them daily with officers, but when someone is carrying around a rifle, something that is magnitudes more powerful then what officers walk around carrying, then it's a bit unsettling.

Prior to the 1990's, people carrying long guns wasn't common, but it was socially acceptable.

Now with mass hysteria brought on by everyday biased media coverage of shootings, carrying of long guns in public, while legal, is frowned upon because it can, and will cause panic.

So, if your intention is to cause panic, and to be pestered by the police, by all means, open carry a rifle. :dunno:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

With that said...

The fact of the matter is that most people are fine with open carry of handguns because they see them daily with officers, but when someone is carrying around a rifle, something that is magnitudes more powerful then what officers walk around carrying, then it's a bit unsettling.

Prior to the 1990's, people carrying long guns wasn't common, but it was socially acceptable.

Now with mass hysteria brought on by everyday biased media coverage of shootings, carrying of long guns in public, while legal, is frowned upon because it can, and will cause panic.

So, if your intention is to cause panic, and to be pestered by the police, by all means, open carry a rifle. :dunno:

Yet a few years ago, there were many on this site that said open carry wasn't common sense or socially acceptable, and they were hurting "the cause".

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So you too subscribe to the notion that a man with a gun is grounds for panic.

The only reason it might cause a panic is because there are people who continue to let it be that way. Keeping things hidden is the surest way to keep the fear alive. Congratulations, you're perpetuating the fear.

My common sense says a man who is free and operating within the law should not be bothered by his fellow man.

It absolutely does. On two levels. First, if it didn't, then there'd be no reason for any of you to be whining like school girls about this huge risk to our legal rights. Second, this is about a man choosing to exercise a LEGAL right. Neither you nor anybody else has any authority to tell him to stop (though businesses can ask him to leave :)).

With that said...

And you don't see the ridiculous irony in this statement?

Back it up. I would argue that it was socially acceptable because it was common enough. But you made the claim, so back it up with some data on the frequency of carrying long guns.

I usually have a very low opinion of people as a group. The intelligence seems to drop geometrically as individuals are added to the total. However, I do believe that in small groups and individually, we are capable of some rational and logical thought processes. So as long as the only reality people have to evaluate is the false one provided by the media, then they will only know what the media tells them and behave and think accordingly. Give them an alternative against which to compare the propaganda and many will recognize the disconnect.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    So you too subscribe to the notion that a man with a gun is grounds for panic.

I'm going to reply to this only, because I don't have the time or will to disseminate your post further.

I, personally, do not see someone with a gun as grounds for panic. I don't.

But the majority of everyone else does.

Majority being key term here.

Yes, you, we, are the minority in this situation, and as the minority, you will be persecuted for taking actions outside of the norm. You, and you alone, will be the one to have to deal with the consequences.

As I said previously. You want to open carry a rifle and cause panic? So be it, but be prepared to get pestered by police.

And an fyi, while you're not doing anything criminally wrong, you open yourself for lawsuits civilly. So be prepared to spend money on defending yourself in court, even though any possible lawsuit will be asinine in nature. We live in a very litigious country.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm going to reply to this only, because I don't have the time or will to disseminate your post further.

I, personally, do not see someone with a gun as grounds for panic. I don't.

But the majority of everyone else does.

Majority being key term here.

Yes, you, we, are the minority in this situation, and as the minority, you will be persecuted for taking actions outside of the norm. You, and you alone, will be the one to have to deal with the consequences.

As I said previously. You want to open carry a rifle and cause panic? So be it, but be prepared to get pestered by police.

And an fyi, while you're not doing anything criminally wrong, you open yourself for lawsuits civilly. So be prepared to spend money on defending yourself in court, even though any possible lawsuit will be asinine in nature. We live in a very litigious country.
    Good, then I can expect all of you *****ing about how this is hurting the cause to STFU.

What civil lawsuits? Please.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This reminds me of an acquaintance that sees no need for 15 round magazines.
    10 rounds is enough.
    Bring up a 7 round limit, and he says its stupid.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    MDA need's to put more focus on raising children with proper value's. Go in to the community's and offer parenting classes. Programs for these troubled youth. Not spending time trying to grab sporting guns and personal protection guns away from law abiding citizens. Those are more realistic answer to serious problems.

Top Bottom