• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's only an illusion. Since the Pintos are usually on fire, they attract more eyes.

I drove a 1981 Citation 4-speed from my last year in high school through college. Very reliable, very room, and had an unexpectedly high top speed for an early 1980s Detroit 4-cylinder.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hmmmm, I'm kind of liking the idea of a Monon March. We should do this. Regularly. Combine fitness with sheepdogging. Win-win. Make it like a neighborhood watch. INGOers could claim segments for various times to be armed on the Trail.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I drove a 1981 Citation...very room...

Yeah, your brain wouldn't even let you finish typing that lie. Very room, indeed.

joseph-ducreux-meme-generator-i-am-skeptical-of-your-statement-until-you-provide-visual-proof-i-believe-it-to-have-not-occur_zps3c0af70f.jpg

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There was the kid today near 42nd St and the joggers up near 86th St with Broad Ripple in between. That's a lot of trail with a lot of trees, satellite map can't see the trail in a lot of places. With that said, my ASICS are made for walking.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, doubting Thomas, I also drove a 1974 VW bug from the time I got my license until I inherited the use of the Citation. So there!

Keep in mind this was before cameras were invented.

Yeah, your brain wouldn't even let you finish typing that lie. Very room, indeed.

joseph-ducreux-meme-generator-i-am-skeptical-of-your-statement-until-you-provide-visual-proof-i-believe-it-to-have-not-occur_zps3c0af70f.jpg

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Time to take out the gd ear buds, stop looking like food and travel in a team, not riding alone like Lonnie Lonenuts was.

I agree with the obvious attempt at situational awareness. And it's nice to exercise in a group if it fits your recreational schedule. But a lot of people exercise on the Monon on their own time, or even use it to bike to work. Part of the benefit of the trail is not getting run over by a car.

If the guy was carrying his laptop etc he was likely biking to work or school. I'm not going to call him "nuts" for that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm dismayed by the number of people who are completely absorbed in their phone, computer, music, etc. when walking outside. It's dangerous for a lot of reasons

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I forgot this was INGO.... where the victims are chastised for exercising alone with music

It's possible to exercise while listening to music AND still hear whats going on around you. When I go running, I always have my ear buds in, but I keep the music low enough to hear everything around me. It's called being smart.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It's possible to exercise while listening to music AND still hear whats going on around you. When I go running, I always have my ear buds in, but I keep the music low enough to hear everything around me. It's called being smart.

I think I still get some distraction from listening, especially since it's usually a podcast or an audiobook, but I generally now use a bluetooth piece in one ear. No tangled cord, plus sound only in 1 ear.

I still think a large dog is the best protection/deterrent when walking/running.

As for the Monon, most people on foot are either in exercise clothes or walking a dog. I would be rather suspicious of anyone in street clothes unless they are in a location where the Monon intersects with the normal sidewalk/business area.

Biking is different. There are cyclists with helmets and bike clothes as well as casual riders.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I was at a rails to trails conference a while back. One of the presenters made the statement that a trail does not draw in criminals so much as reflect the area through which it runs. So yeah, if you ran a trail up Meridian Street some areas would have no increased problems and some would be best avoided. :dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But a lot of people exercise on the Monon on their own time, or even use it to bike to work. Part of the benefit of the trail is not getting run over by a car.

No excuse to neglect SA.

There are no ambushes there. They are meeting engagements and you can see the threat coming, assuming you are not absorbed in your self-phone or ear buds like some self-centered tool.

I forgot this was INGO.... where the victims are chastised for exercising alone with music

He wasn't in his basement. He was in public. No excuse for not being aware.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    No excuse to neglect SA.

There are no ambushes there. They are meeting engagements and you can see the threat coming, assuming you are not absorbed in your self-phone or ear buds like some self-centered tool.

He wasn't in his basement. He was in public. No excuse for not being aware.

What did he see? Another guy on a bike?

Like Rhino said, start blasting everyone on the Monon because "officer they were coming straight for me!!!!"

Seriously, I'd like to think my best defense if someone approaches me in an odd way while on a bicycle is to just ride away quickly, but we don't know if he suddenly turned in front of him nor what he did.

Top Bottom