• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I am the cheese

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    I bought a Mosin from a friend. I have been tinkering with it here and there. Rubber recoil pad. Sling swivel stud for bi pod mount. Customizing it right now for a pistol grip. Any one bend the bolt handle themselves? if so, any advice on what not to do?

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Just purchase a new bolt with a slant, then you will have two. Never hurts to have extra. I will say that all that matters is if you like it not anyone else. May I ask why a pistol grip?

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Why is there a pistol grip going on this?... There isn't enough material to properly bend the bolt handle. You have to buy one.

RipkinC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Indy
    buy a completely "professionally" done one, I got mine here from Boltman. nice guy too. and not i have a "back up" bolt, pin etc
    some may laugh at you but its a fun gun to work on and learn. Many I am sure would criticize you modding a $100 gun but I have scene them turn out real nice and many in the sub-moa range. the round has about the same punch as a 30-06
    Have fun, dont listen to the nay-sayers unless they are talking about something that is dangerous, not just a waste of time/$$ because its a MN

D the Bruce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    New Castle IN
    I love my mosin and have also thought about the pistol grip. Many people will knock altering the weapon but at around $100 why not. Hell, buy 2 or 3. I like the feel of a pistol grip on
    a long range rifle. As far as the bent bolt with a scout scope its not needed. Good luck and remember as long as your comfortable with what you add then go for it.

Win1300

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    New Palestine
    I am too building a mosin into my own creation. Took me a long time to change it from stock but I think I finally am... anyways the topic of the bent bolt, I have a buddy who sent his to this guy in Arizona. For 45 bucks he bent and polished the bolt portion of your bolt. Great service and quick turn around. One week or so. I am going to do the same thing soon. I am keeping my original stock on the gun. Put the rubber pad on cause I think it fits the gun. I am doing the bent bolt also. Some other things i plan to do it clamp on barrel bi-pod, and scope.

Here is the link to the ebay guy.
    Mosin Nagant Bent Bolt Conversion Service | eBay

Enjoy shooting it! I recently just received 880 rounds of surplus Bulgarian for mine!

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I love my mosin and have also thought about the pistol grip. Many people will knock altering the weapon but at around $100 why not. Hell, buy 2 or 3. I like the feel of a pistol grip on
    a long range rifle. As far as the bent bolt with a scout scope its not needed. Good luck and remember as long as your comfortable with what you add then go for it.

Why do you say a scope and bent bolt are not needed? I've hit a 24" x 24" steel target at 600yards with my M44 with iron sights and would have been more accurate had it been scoped. I do see the benefit of scoping a Mosin, just not all the other silliness.

D the Bruce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    New Castle IN
    Why do you say a scope and bent bolt are not needed? I've hit a 24" x 24" steel target at 600yards with my M44 with iron sights and would have been more accurate had it been scoped. I do see the benefit of scoping a Mosin, just not all the other silliness.

Just saying that a bent bolt isnt a must if you have a scout scope. If the guy wants to put a car horn on his weapon as long as its safe who cares. Its all down to the shooter what he wants is what he wants. Whats the elevation on that 600 yard shot? 6.5 feet?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    somehow i knew the purists were going to jump all over this.. :whistle:

chop the barrel to 20 inches, shave the stock down, float the barrel. thread the muzzle. little to no recoil, good results.. and no one at the range knows what it is.

Top Bottom