rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Here is my advice.

Leave it alone.
    I have two Mosins, and I have to agree with this here. I feel it is best to leave them as they are...for the most part anyway. I could see buying the new bolt with a turn-down handle, but you better make sure that the head spacing is correct if you do that.:twocents:

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    I have two Mosins, and I have to agree with this here. I feel it is best to leave them as they are...for the most part anyway. I could see buying the new bolt with a turn-down handle, but you better make sure that the head spacing is correct if you do that.:twocents:

Well I did a semi bubba, it's just how it's done is all. Pistol grips........... lol :rolleyes:.

I removed the sight block and had the pin holes welded up.

Removed the front sight post and sanded and smoothed out the entire barrel... which there were a ton of factory defects.

Trimmed the barrel down 1" and had a 11 degree rimless crown added.

Mounted a Rock Solid scope mount, custom handmade turn down bolt handle welded to the original bolt body.

Cut down the firing spring 3/4" for smoother action. They really are over built.

Polished the entire charging system and bolt.

Refinished the stock in a natural soft gloss shellac. Gunkoted all the black bits that go with it and had the stock glass bedded.

And finally had a nice Gunkote finish added to the receiver and barrel so it's superduperblack.

I wouldn't have removed the sightleaf and block if I thought I could have gotten away with it but I wanted to keep my options open on possibly getting a 50mm+ lens scope.

It's still very original looking but it is very much a custom job. I have seen some terrific Mosin builds that DO hang out to a thousand yards with accuracy. For the most part people are adding things to these rifles that they believe will help them with their aim and accuracy. It doesn't of course. The rifle matters but it's amazing that people will spend thousands of dollars on builds to improve their marksmanship but don't bother to learn BRASS for free.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    Well I did a semi bubba, it's just how it's done is all. Pistol grips........... lol :rolleyes:.

I removed the sight block and had the pin holes welded up.

Removed the front sight post and sanded and smoothed out the entire barrel... which there were a ton of factory defects.

Trimmed the barrel down 1" and had a 11 degree rimless crown added.

Mounted a Rock Solid scope mount, custom handmade turn down bolt handle welded to the original bolt body.

Cut down the firing spring 3/4" for smoother action. They really are over built.

Polished the entire charging system and bolt.

Refinished the stock in a natural soft gloss shellac. Gunkoted all the black bits that go with it and had the stock glass bedded.

And finally had a nice Gunkote finish added to the receiver and barrel so it's superduperblack.

I wouldn't have removed the sightleaf and block if I thought I could have gotten away with it but I wanted to keep my options open on possibly getting a 50mm+ lens scope.

It's still very original looking but it is very much a custom job. I have seen some terrific Mosin builds that DO hang out to a thousand yards with accuracy. For the most part people are adding things to these rifles that they believe will help them with their aim and accuracy. It doesn't of course. The rifle matters but it's amazing that people will spend thousands of dollars on builds to improve their marksmanship but don't bother to learn BRASS for free.

Where da pics??

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Compensator- Do want!

Link?

Sorry no link....except maybe to me. I machine all my bolt bodies, bolt handles, flash hiders, compensators, aluminum pistol grips, some scope mounts, cut and crown the barrels, drill and tap the receivers etc. There are some pictures in my other stuff album.
    One of the 5 rifles I posted has a halographic sight and a laser.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To OP (et alia),

This isn't meant to be mean, crass, or condescending. It is your property and you can do what you want with it.

That said, please do not alter a piece of military history that will never be made again.:(:(:(

People believe that because there were millions of them made they will never run out. There is now a finite supply and when they are gone there will be no more. None. These are pieces of firearms history that were mass produced and yet their numbers are dwindling. Some were lost on the field of battle. Some to house fires. Many now to good, decent people who mean well by wanting to make it "just for them."

I know I am a stick in the mud as a collector. But if we think about the millions of Brown Bess's were made over the centuries and where are they now? Very uncommon to find an original because of many millions of them lost over time to various causes.

Again, your property and fully within your rights to do as you will, but I cannot just let it go unspoken that once it is modded it can never be undone. We cannot unscramble an egg and we cannot unmod a rifle.

If you are going to butcher a Mosin please let it be a very common model. I have seen hack jobs on Fins and it is truly sad.

Just some thoughts from the collectors viewpoint hoping to urge you to reconsider.

Regards,

Doug

79BRUISER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    To OP (et alia),

This isn't meant to be mean, crass, or condescending. It is your property and you can do what you want with it.

That said, please do not alter a piece of military history that will never be made again.:(:(:(

People believe that because there were millions of them made they will never run out. There is now a finite supply and when they are gone there will be no more. None. These are pieces of firearms history that were mass produced and yet their numbers are dwindling. Some were lost on the field of battle. Some to house fires. Many now to good, decent people who mean well by wanting to make it "just for them."

I know I am a stick in the mud as a collector. But if we think about the millions of Brown Bess's were made over the centuries and where are they now? Very uncommon to find an original because of many millions of them lost over time to various causes.

Again, your property and fully within your rights to do as you will, but I cannot just let it go unspoken that once it is modded it can never be undone. We cannot unscramble an egg and we cannot unmod a rifle.

If you are going to butcher a Mosin please let it be a very common model. I have seen hack jobs on Fins and it is truly sad.

Just some thoughts from the collectors viewpoint hoping to urge you to reconsider.

Regards,

Doug

I can see your point on this. Can you tell me what a "very common model" would be? I am not real familiar with these rifles. Yet. I do plan on modifying my next one.

Thanks, Bruiser

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    To OP (et alia),

Regards,

Doug

Well...we all have our limits...well at least I do. I only altered 91/30 round receivers, I have been asked to do a couple of hex receivers and refused. There is no comparing the two in quality workmanship.

D the Bruce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    New Castle IN
    I'm looking for a Compensator for my m44 mosin, most of them are $15 to $20. Are they normally that cheap and can someone recommend me one?

Be careful with these. If not mounted correctly they can be unsafe. Seen quite a few fly downrange, one even left a screw or bolt imbedded in a wood bench. Imagine taking one of these to the face or any part of you for that matter

majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Be careful with these. If not mounted correctly they can be unsafe. Seen quite a few fly downrange, one even left a screw or bolt imbedded in a wood bench. Imagine taking one of these to the face or any part of you for that matter

well that sounds horrifying. Are they worth using then?

Top Bottom