• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Looking into it a bit I like the idea of the mountain bike and adjusting the tires if needed.
    The Trek Marlin comes in this beautiful matte olive grey.... Seems affordable, relatively, haha.

It looks like a lot of the gravel bikes come with drop bars, and no suspension. Suspension sounds good.
    The mountain bikes seem to be about 10 pounds heavier than a similar priced gravel bike.

Also, I just figured out what I am seeing in my neighborhood. The fat bikes, with the 4.5" knobby tires that sound like my truck tires when I don't rotate them enough!
    I just bought a fat tire bike and tried it out yesterday at Griffin bike park in Terre Haute. The bike did fine on a flow trail and moved fast enough for me. If you're looking for something maybe a bit more leisurely they're worth a test ride. We're about the same age and as mentioned in other posts, I don't have plans to "send it!" for big air. I rode some "light trails" in Michigan on a commuter bike and it was quite enjoyable so figured the fat tire would work good also on trails which have some sand. I've visted Arizona the last couple years so could have used it then.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    How do you like the Trailforks app? I just downloaded the free version and it looks like something useful to find trails nearby and traveling, so I may join.

As for your post #24 about Griffin bike park in Terre Haute....I was there yesterday for the first time and it's very nice. Something for everyone and was glad to see families bringing their kids, who seemed to love the place. see this trail map link and I watched some Youtube videos last night if you search for "Griffin bike park".

I'm new to MTB trails but not biking. People were very friendly and happy to be at Griffin. One thing I noticed, which you mentioned the distance, is the people I spoke to had traveled quite a distance to be there (Bloomington, IL and Bedford), or were traveling and stopped to check it out due to it's reputation. Believe it's been around 10 years now and the volunteers have put in massive amounts of work, along with fundraising to get trails and bathrooms and other items built.
    TF pro is just like GPS navi in your car, shows a little blue arrow representing "you" on the trail map and shows which way you're pointed. If you routinely go new places that are poorly-marked, and hate being lost, it's great. But if you mostly ride familiar places and know the trail intersections by heart, you probably don't need it.

Glad to hear the good review on Griffin. Still on my bucket list :yesway: .

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I just bought a fat tire bike and tried it out yesterday at Griffin bike park in Terre Haute. The bike did fine on a flow trail and moved fast enough for me. If you're looking for something maybe a bit more leisurely they're worth a test ride. We're about the same age and as mentioned in other posts, I don't have plans to "send it!" for big air. I rode some "light trails" in Michigan on a commuter bike and it was quite enjoyable so figured the fat tire would work good also on trails which have some sand. I've visted Arizona the last couple years so could have used it then.
    What did ya get :postpics:

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    What did ya get :postpics:
    Lol ok. Trek Farley 9.6. I rode the Freedom loop today at Griffin in Terre Haute. It's rated beginner but was a bit challenging and fun.

Named in memory of Sgt. Dale R. Griffin. His father and family helped to organize, develop, finance/raise money, and build the trails with many volunteers. Just read it was 7 years ago it opened. It's Fowler Park area, Vigo County Parks and recreation. Biker today told me he spoke to the father who volunteers and visits often.

Most all of the trails and training areas are military named and there's nice yard signs on the the Freedom trail, and a monument (see pic), with many other military servicemen pictures that lost their lives serving our Country. It's very moving to see.

They have a non profit Trips for Kids also to give kids a opportunity to ride a bike and explore.

PXL_20231010_215301203~2.jpg
    PXL_20231009_212306420~2.jpg

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Wow that is a sexy bike
    It's sexier than my riding skills :) I'd been riding an Electra Townie Go on some light trails in Michigan so this should work out much better. Particularly in more sandy regions like Michigan, areas out West and even some southern areas I'd like to visit.

I was speaking to a mountain biker yesterday who's been all over the US and parts of Canada. He mentioned that some members of the Walton family had given mega $$ to the Bentonville, Arkansas area for MTB trails. Looks like a fun place to visit and has the Ozark National Forest in the area for off grid camping.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It's sexier than my riding skills :) I'd been riding an Electra Townie Go on some light trails in Michigan so this should work out much better. Particularly in more sandy regions like Michigan, areas out West and even some southern areas I'd like to visit.

I was speaking to a mountain biker yesterday who's been all over the US and parts of Canada. He mentioned that some members of the Walton family had given mega $$ to the Bentonville, Arkansas area for MTB trails. Looks like a fun place to visit and has the Ozark National Forest in the area for off grid camping.
    I could never figure out why Bentonville was a MTB mecca...it's a rather, um, "specific" place. I should have known...

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Went riding at Hoffman Nature Area for the first time today. That place has some serious dips in it. There were a couple where I didn't have enough momentum and ran out of steam on the way up, with the resulting "clip-splat." It is an interesting track and not a lot of elevation change and climbing, but you have to be ready for the tech dips around every corner. If I get back there, it will probably be on flat pedals until I get better.

The leaves, moisture, and walnuts (!) are starting to make things sporty out there. Need the squirrels to start doing their damn job :nailbite:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Went riding at Hoffman Nature Area for the first time today. That place has some serious dips in it. There were a couple where I didn't have enough momentum and ran out of steam on the way up, with the resulting "clip-splat." It is an interesting track and not a lot of elevation change and climbing, but you have to be ready for the tech dips around every corner. If I get back there, it will probably be on flat pedals until I get better.

The leaves, moisture, and walnuts (!) are starting to make things sporty out there. Need the squirrels to start doing their damn job :nailbite:
    I have been wanting to check out Hoffman. Good to know about the dips!

Walnuts are definitely a tough one!

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    New frame day for me! Picked up this Stumpjumper Evo Alloy yesterday at Gray Goat North. I couldn't believe they had one in stock. It is a 2022 clearance frame which I believe is one of the cheapest trail frames out there right now. Plan is to swap everything from my Siskiu T7 over to it. I did have to order a new dropper post as this frame takes a 34.9 and my T7 takes a 30.9. This frame calls for a 160mm front fork, and my fork from the T7 can be adjusted to 150mm. I'm going to rock it at 150 for the time being until I find a deal on a Fox 36 or 38.
    20231017_155632.jpg

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Been a busy day! Waiting on Amazon to drop off a hose barb and olive to finish the rear brake line then it will be done. I'm sure I'll have to make a few adjustments but pretty happy with the results. This is the first time I have built a complete bike. Hopefully if it doesn't rain tomorrow I can get out on the trail!
    20231018_155445.jpg

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Rode a couple intermediate trails at Griffin yesterday on the fat tire, named Stryker and Sniper. Stryker snakes around the strip out in a bench cut trail and Sniper is on the north side through the woods. Enjoyable flow and skill improver without major hills, yet plenty of smallish climbs to boost the heart rate.

Guess the map shows Stryker as beginner but I'd say otherwise.

View of strip pit that Stryker weaves around with the floating trail and ramp, neither of which are on my short list ;)
    PXL_20231009_214720275.jpg PXL_20231009_214744347.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231009_214725222.jpg
      PXL_20231009_214725222.jpg
      1,006.6 KB · Views: 1

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Rode a couple intermediate trails at Griffin yesterday on the fat tire, named Stryker and Sniper. Stryker snakes around the strip out in a bench cut trail and Sniper is on the north side through the woods. Enjoyable flow and skill improver without major hills, yet plenty of smallish climbs to boost the heart rate.

Guess the map shows Stryker as beginner but I'd say otherwise.

View of strip pit that Stryker weaves around with the floating trail and ramp, neither of which are on my short list ;)
    View attachment 306451 View attachment 306449
    Brings a whole new meaning to the word "consequence." How deep is the strip pit? I always wondered how you fish your bike out of that. (Or if it's like Amsterdam and filled with abandoned ones...)

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Brings a whole new meaning to the word "consequence." How deep is the strip pit? I always wondered how you fish your bike out of that. (Or if it's like Amsterdam and filled with abandoned ones...)
    I was told it's quite deep and good for fishing. For the ramp the video shows floats tied to the bike. As for the Stryker trail around it, there are almost too many trees to slide into it...in most places :) I've just starting using an inflatable paddle board so it'll be on there next year at some point.

@tim87tr did you ride the water bridge? I don't think I could.
    I was sort of ambiguous when I said it's not on my short list but I think at some point much later on, I'd try it in warm weather. The park is filled with a lot of balancing boards of various widths to practice skills. They haven't been my favorite and I need to continue practicing.

I walked across it, does that count?;). The floating path does move and it's mentioned in videos I've watched. Then there's this Jeff Lenosky (pro) who helped design some of the advanced trails. He has a pretty good channel with tips. Short floating bridge clip:

Top Bottom