• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    I'm all for the right to OC, but realize as Machinegun has stated that there are negative attributes that are associated with it. If you are willing to take on those attributes for the 1/4 second decrease in draw speed and the ability to make a statement to those around you about your beliefs then go for it.

He's just doing his part to make sure that those who have never oc'ed before and may even be new to firearms and carrying in public realize that even though the letter of the law says one thing, the actual enforcement of the law and people's ability to twist other laws against you are still out there.

I'm not concerned enough about getting my message out or that 1/4 second decrease in draw time to put up with the hassle of MWG calls and other annoying issues.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I find it unlikely this would be considered brandishing, but with all things the more facts would be needed. Generally speaking, you're just altering your carry mode (from concealed to open). I would think you need to remove your weapon from its holster before you move into the field of brandishing. I looked for a short bit to find the IN code on brandishing, but didnt' find it.

As a side note on the whole OC v. CC debate, MACHINEGUN's point that while you may do it, the action of OC may come with negative side effects. There does come a point, when those negative side effects in sum total amount to infringement of your right. When you pile enough of the side effects together that they are a major factor in how you exercise your right, that has become infringement. Changing our behavior to avoid the consequences is a form of accomodation. With enough accomdation any right can and will be lost.

The solutions are to stop accomdating and deal with the consequences, hopefully shedding enough light on the infringement that it is stopped (think civil rights movement of the 1960's boycotts and sitins) or a political solution where the majority make changes to protect the rights. Sometimes the political solution can't enough traction without enough of the first.

Just more food for thought on the topic.

As for myself, I geneally CC because I learned to carry while living in FL, where CC is the only option. I do, however, open carry around Indy but only in a very casual manner. Usually just an untucked shirt over my IWB holster. The over shirt conceals the holster about 95% of the time regardless. Again, this has more to do with my habits formed while living in FL than anything else.

Just an off-wall question. Say you CC and while walking out in a dark parking lot your spider tingly goes off. You lift your shirt so the weapon is in plain sight and ready but still holstered. Would this be considered Brandishing?

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I both CC and OC and my decision has nothing to do with educating the public or achieving quicker draw times, per se. I do it when I feel like it, whether it is for comfort or convenience. If the need arises to educate, I will do so. If the need arises to draw, I will do that as well. I feel neither compelled by tactics nor politics to conceal.
    I continually hear, on this board, about the negatives of OC but have yet to hear one negative comment from either the public or LEO's in the entire 4+ years I have been OC. In fact, most of the comments I read on this boards about people who OC is that they have NEVER been approached by anyone about their weapon, for good or ill.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    As for myself, I geneally CC because I learned to carry while living in FL, where CC is the only option. I do, however, open carry around Indy but only in a very casual manner. Usually just an untucked shirt over my IWB holster. The over shirt conceals the holster about 95% of the time regardless. Again, this has more to do with my habits formed while living in FL than anything else.

See I'd never "walk the line" between the two like that. It's either 100% concealed or 100% open. Anything else looks like you're trying to hide something and just not doing a good job of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Where I live in Speedway... they have a local code that states it's illegal to open carry and conceal carry any firearm.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say above. The actual statute in the Speedway code prohibits concealed carry, not open carry. The only way to carry in Speedway and be in full compliance with both state law and the Speedway Municipal Code is to carry openly with a valid License to Carry Handgun or other jurisdiction's equivalent if you're not an Indiana resident.

Your personal experiences with multiple problems with the police in Marion County for open carry certainly are noteworthy. I've carried openly in Marion County many times, as have some others here. Some carry openly in Marion Co. all the time. Among us, problems with law enforcement are uncommon.

If you have experienced so much trouble with open carry, then it's understandable why you would choose to refrain from doing so. You experience is not typical, however.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    100% Concealed Carry is a great deal more effort than 95% CC. 100% CC means no printing, not partially exposed, etc. That takes some effort and I know from living in Florida where the printing and partial exposure is a problem.

There is more to looking like your hiding something than a partial exposure of a gun or a print. The way I interact with people, dress, etc. influences that to a great extent. I dress well, act politely and responsibly, and go about my business as if I were anybody normal. Other than the more frequent pants pull up, nobody is normally the wiser.

I just think there is more to the equation than the visibility of your gun to whether there are issues OP vs. CC.

Happy and safe carrying to all regardless of carry method.

See I'd never "walk the line" between the two like that. It's either 100% concealed or 100% open. Anything else looks like you're trying to hide something and just not doing a good job of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Correct me if I'm wrong Rino, but I'm pretty your statements weren't about OC events, they were about OCing around town, singularly.

Absolutely. Now I understand what he was trying to say.

Open carry events or open carry in groups is just something we do a few times a year or so. I was not referring to that.

I was referring to open carry by myself or others doing the same.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wasn't aware there are local laws against carrying in Indiana. So my carry permit doesn't allow me to carry in certain jurisdictions?:dunno:

There do exist some ordinances that were enacted prior to 1994 when statewide pre-emption when into effect. Ordinances that went into effect after statewide preemption in the IC are not valid.

The ordinance in Speedway is virtually unknown and I've never heard of it being enforced. I suspect the only way it would get enforced is if someone was acting like a total a**wipe and it was the only thing the police could use against them.

There are also jurisdictions where the police and others will overtly lie and tell people that such ordinances exist, when in fact they do not. Terre Haute is the shining example, where several people have reported being accosted by police officers who try to intimidate them into concealing by citing a non-existent ordinance that prohibits open carry in Terre Haute.

Top Bottom