• ...and so much more!
  • USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Hi guys I just recently read that indiana is open carry. I have the license to carry a handgun. I called the local state police station and they said the pink handgun permit is for concealed carry only. Is there anything i can legally carry on me so I can solve this problem with me quickly and easliy. A law paper or something. Seems like most people don't realize Indiana is Open Carry. Thanks

Why would you want to OC? :rolleyes:

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm getting used to hearing about LEO that discourage OC, but to read ISP actually telling an individual that it is illegal just blows my mind.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I just got through reading this thread, and while I laughed at the picture of "Aw Jeez, not this **** again!" the point is made. We discuss and hash and rehash this issue and many others almost constantly. Why? Here's my thought on why: We've all heard and/or used the "tactical" arguments (BG takes you out first vs. BG chooses somewhere else to rob) We've all made our own decisions as to whether we will or will not OC. We all know about some LEOs misinforming (perhaps because they are misinformed, perhaps because they feel threatened by others having the same power they do, perhaps because they truly believe citizen OC is a true threat. Personally, I think if there's any validity to that, it's in the fact that a LEO responding to a MWG is not available for a real emergency, but I've digressed)

Why do we keep coming back to this and other arguments? We keep hoping someone will come up with a new answer that might make sense, perhaps even enough sense to convince us to do it. (and the OCers keep coming back to defend their choices.)

I think that when we discuss ad infinitum, it shows that we are open-minded and trying to make something workable for us that has not been before.

I've said before: I don't OC now because of a variety of factors. I haven't ruled it out, and I don't speak against it, I just don't do it myself. If someone else wants to, more power to him/her. For me, I think that an absolute necessity is a retention holster. I don't own one, which is one of the reasons for my choice. It just doesn't make sense to me to carry in such a way as to say "Hey, there's a gun here!" and not have some method other than my hand to ensure it stays where it belongs.

I like the idea mentioned elsewhere about "carry cards". The ones I have are designed to be given to businesses, not individuals. I've not had the need to do so, thanks to the fact that signs have no force of law here.

I really like the idea of using OC as an entre for people to come and ask questions.

For those who carry and will face a LEO telling them that OC is not lawful. I suggest, "I hear what you're saying, officer. Would you please cite for me the code I'm being accused of violating by carrying my pistol in the open?"

One new thought that has come to me during these discussions was due to a LEO saying that those who OC are just doing so to make a political statement, not for any true defensive value. I replied that if OC had no true defensive value, perhaps there was some explanation for uniformed LEOs to not CC, but rather OC. I never got a reply.

It does come down to personal choice. Let's face it, carrying a gun is not going to again become as commonplace as wearing a (fill-in-the-color-name) shirt without a fundamental and monumental shift in our society. That said, every small battle won is one more vote for (or at least one less against) our cause. Is that worthwhile? You bet it is. Carry. I don't care how you carry so long as you do so safely.

And don't forget to contact those legislators for the bills you like!

Blessings,
    B

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Good stuff, B.

I just printed off a copy of IC-35-47-2 (unrelated-I had a buddy ask about non-resident LTCH and I thought we didn't have one, so I looked it up, and sure enough, he was right, and he can apply for a LTCH because he is regularly employed here) and was thinking I might make another couple copies of it to put in my vehicles. It's only 10 pages so it might be worth the effort, assuming that a cop would let you get the code out of your car and would stand there reading through it after he tried arresting you for legally open carrying.

xd45opencarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Really the only reason i wanted to see about open carry is I am having problem in normal summer clothes concealing my weapon and wanted to know if it was against the law for my gun to imprint on my shirt. Thanks everyone for their answers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Officer Troy or something fort wayne post (260) 432-8661. Sounded like a young one. I just don't want to be out in public open carrying and getting in cuffs around my family. That is my only worry. Really I won't open carry all the time but sometimes it would be nice.Thanks for all these replies this website is awesome

I understand your concern, but there would be no grounds to cuff you as you are not breaking any law. Remain civil, polite, and firm. You cannot be arrested for legally carrying.

Also, do not inflate the possibility that you will be hassled. Everyone thinks that when you OC you will be tackled by a herd of soccer moms and sheriff's deputies. This is not the case. The problem is that it is easy to let your mind make this "problem" bigger than what it truly is.

As others have said, read around this site, get more info, and get to a point where you are comfortable with the facts. You will gradually get to a point where you are ready to make your decision.

Best,
    Josh

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    +1 Well stated.

Thank you, sir.

Good stuff, B.

I just printed off a copy of IC-35-47-2 (unrelated-I had a buddy ask about non-resident LTCH and I thought we didn't have one, so I looked it up, and sure enough, he was right, and he can apply for a LTCH because he is regularly employed here) and was thinking I might make another couple copies of it to put in my vehicles. It's only 10 pages so it might be worth the effort, assuming that a cop would let you get the code out of your car and would stand there reading through it after he tried arresting you for legally open carrying.

Good idea to have it available. Better idea to know it. I don't think you need to have it to prove you're legal, though. "Officer, under what section of the IC am I being charged? Indiana doesn't have any law against open carry." The burden of proof is on him to prove there is a law, not on you to prove there is not. JMHO. :twocents:

Really the only reason i wanted to see about open carry is I am having problem in normal summer clothes concealing my weapon and wanted to know if it was against the law for my gun to imprint on my shirt. Thanks everyone for their answers

Printing isn't unlawful in IN like it is in FL or TX, among others. Good for you for checking, though. Smart decision. :+1:

I understand your concern, but there would be no grounds to cuff you as you are not breaking any law. Remain civil, polite, and firm. You cannot be arrested for legally carrying.

Also, do not inflate the possibility that you will be hassled. Everyone thinks that when you OC you will be tackled by a herd of soccer moms and sheriff's deputies. This is not the case. The problem is that it is easy to let your mind make this "problem" bigger than what it truly is.

As others have said, read around this site, get more info, and get to a point where you are comfortable with the facts. You will gradually get to a point where you are ready to make your decision.

Boy, that's a tough one to get past, isn't it? You're absolutely certain you're either going to have a knee in your back on the pavement or will be eating Crown Vic, but it's all in your presentation. A calm, reasonable, self-assurance goes a LONG way, especially considering the laws here in IN.

Good posts, folks.

Blessings,
    B

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Boy, that's a tough one to get past, isn't it? You're absolutely certain you're either going to have a knee in your back on the pavement or will be eating Crown Vic
    I know that's not funny, but I had to chuckle because that's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I first OC'ed.

Top Bottom