• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The only reason I'm interested in restoring it is to preserve it. I keep my safe in a humidity-controlled garage and I care for my other rifles pretty well. As for this one, it has a couple of tiny rust marks that I brushed off wi my finger and the blueing on the receiver is gone. I just want to make sure it can be passed to my son, in good condition, when the time comes.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd go so far as to get a used peep sight, one with wear, so it'd match the rest of the gun.
    If you think reg oils might not be good enough protection due to finish issues not allowing sheeting, might want to look into Renaissance Wax.

BTW, WD40................never touches my guns.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Congrats on getting it back, my friend. And FWIW, I'm with esrice and geronimojoe and others who say to keep the finish as is.

My dad never had guns, so this is an experience I will never know. It's one I plan on giving my grandson, though, someday.

Blessings,
    Bill

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Congratulations Que! A few weekends ago I took my nephew shooting for his first time. I taught him to shoot with the rifle I learned on, that my dad bought as a kid back during the depression.

It is a heck of a thing to hold a rifle and know by it's worn finish and nicked stock that it fed and protected your family for decades.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Personally I'd leave it alone. But if you are going to restore it, look into Turnbull. It's not cheap but it is one of the best restoration places. Their case hardening work is second to none and I absolutely love the way it looks.

Turnbull Restoration & Manufacturing #1 in Vintage Firearm Restoration & Metal Finishes

fullrs.jpg

halfrs.jpg

$2,800 for the metal work only, $3,500 for the whole gun.

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Awesome for you! My two favorite guns are my fathers first .22 revolver and his first .22 rifle. Both of which also happen to be the first of each type of gun I ever fired. I also have a Mossberg bolt action .22 that was my paternal grandfathers and a o/u shotgun that was my maternal grandfathers. They all mean lots to me.

I say don't "restore", clean it and leave it how it is.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Kids are amazing. I just introduced my son to the rifle and told him the story about how I obtained it and a few stories about his grandfather. He never had the chance to meet his grandfather. As I was talking, I noticed he was crying. I asked him why he was crying and he said, "It's good to have something of my grandfather's around." He said that it will be his one day and we will have to take care of it.

I must say, this rifle means even more to me now. I won't have it reblued or anything and will show my son how to detail clean it before we take it out.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Kids are amazing. I just introduced my son to the rifle and told him the story about how I obtained it and a few stories about his grandfather. He never had the chance to meet his grandfather. As I was talking, I noticed he was crying. I asked him why he was crying and he said, "It's good to have something of my grandfather's around." He said that it will be his one day and we will have to take care of it.

I must say, this rifle means even more to me now. I won't have it reblued or anything and will show my son how to detail clean it before we take it out.

That is wonderful! Gotta love family!

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    glad you got it where it needs to be good for you! i had a h&r single shot 20 gauge my dad got for me when i was a kid 40 years ago i gave it to a family member when he got old enough then 2 years ago he said he was going to sell his guns (all of them gave to him) i ask if he still had that one he replied yes and was going to sell it too. needless to say it cost me 50 bucks(beer money to him)but i got it back and it will only leave when im in a pine box. lesson learned.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That cool Que!! I'd clean it up and fix what needs fixing. I would not touch the finish! It's cool your son now has a connection with the rifle.

Congrats!!

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    Que, I have seen a couple of these where a scope mount was fitted to the left side of the receiver using the top screws at the front and back, no new holes needed. The mount sits kind of high so the casing can be kicked out the right side but it's not too high. I'm sure you can just google it and find the mounts.

Definitely a nice find and it's great that it will stay in the family.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Thats a wonderful thanksgiving memory you will always have. People dont realise that guns are so much more than they seem.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Very nice Que. I have my Dad's pre-64. Lots of good memories of being on the farm with it. Sits in the safe well oiled now. My Sons get that 'it was Grandpas'. They lost their 'Pa 4 years ago.

:ingo:

Top Bottom