• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Question: Can a natural gas furnance be kept off, not even the pilot flame on, and be ok for and extended period of time say years? Or should at least the flame pilot be kept on?

I have a bedroom above the attached garage. However neither the garage nor bedroom above are heated/cooled by the main house.

The bedroom has a natural gas furnance, see image below, which worked when I got the house. It was inspected, tested and operational and I was provided the paperwork by the heating company that looked at it during closing back in 2020.

The winter of 2020 I decided not to use that bedroom and turned off the natural gas line to the room furnance which in turn caused the pilot flame to go off.

The room stayed cold during the winter of 2020 and 2021. There is no plumbing in the room so no issues of water pipes bursting. Electrical has worked fine in the room.

There are no plans to use the room this winter either. Maybe the fall of 2023 is when the room would get used.

Or perhaps call the same company to reinspected it when ready to be used?

20221218_152555.jpg

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I just did a cleaning on mine, cleaned the burners, everything. Vacuum, detail brushes, air. Changed the high limit with factory replacement, bought a new capacitor but decided to keep it for a spare. Cleaned the damper. Ran the blower and checked the heat exchanger.

It's in top notch shape but there's still a little yellow in the blue flame. I'm chalking it up to the quality of the gas piped to the house.

Admittedly I didn't check or adjust the pressure exiting the gas valve.

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    That furnace is not too much different than the ones in large campers that get shut down every winter and then used again in the spring and sometimes probably not even checked.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I just did a cleaning on mine, cleaned the burners, everything. Vacuum, detail brushes, air. Changed the high limit with factory replacement, bought a new capacitor but decided to keep it for a spare. Cleaned the damper. Ran the blower and checked the heat exchanger.

It's in top notch shape but there's still a little yellow in the blue flame. I'm chalking it up to the quality of the gas piped to the house.

Admittedly I didn't check or adjust the pressure exiting the gas valve.

depends on how much yellow is there.
    if you're talking natural gas, well that's pretty 'clean'.

Ideal Furnace Flame Color​

Your goal is to have a strong, almost completely blue flame in your furnace, which is the hottest flame color. Look toward the center of the flame for a light blue triangle to show correct combustion. The flame is also good if it's mostly blue with a small sliver of yellow in it. You'll get a blue flame when your gas is clean with the right amount of oxygen for proper combustion with very little moisture or contaminants.

Causes of a Yellow Flame​

Yellow furnace flames happen with incomplete or inefficient combustion and can indicate that your furnace is not currently operating safely or efficiently. This usually happens if the furnace is dirty, especially the burner or heat exchanger. The dirt can prevent the gas and oxygen from mixing properly, which can affect the flame. Yellow flames can also be caused by contaminants or moisture in your fuel. In some cases, the yellow flames mean the furnace is old and needs to be replaced.

Incomplete combustion indicated by yellow flames does more than make your furnace inefficient. It creates carbon monoxide, which is a potentially deadly situation. The odorless, tasteless, colorless gas can cause flulike symptoms initially, but it can eventually kill you. You need carbon monoxide detectors on each level of your home to protect your family from this danger.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's the "and go" part that scares me thinking it will "and go" like this... :)

Don't fill your house up with gas.
    They even put mercaptan in it to try to help you.

Next, before lighting it off, take a look around. Is your burner filled up with cobwebs.
    After lighting, take a look around. Do you have a healthy flame color and pattern.

If you want, in the fall before all the people are trying to light their old furnaces, have a professional check it out. $$ spent on it is well spent on piece of mind.

DO NOT BYPASS ANY SAFETIES.

GET a CO detector.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Don't fill your house up with gas.
    They even put mercaptan in it to try to help you.

Next, before lighting it off, take a look around. Is your burner filled up with cobwebs.
    After lighting, take a look around. Do you have a healthy flame color and pattern.

If you want, in the fall before all the people are trying to light their old furnaces, have a professional check it out. $$ spent on it is well spent on piece of mind.

DO NOT BYPASS ANY SAFETIES.

GET a CO detector.
    It was a joke acteon!!

The room does have a fire alarm and carbon monoxide device that I installed when I moved in as I was unsure at the time if I would use the room.

Sometime next year the goal is to remodel the room. If that occurs then I would need the device.

I did find the paperwork of the company that inspected it last. It was a $75 service call to inspect, ensure it was good and start it back up. I might just do that once the room is done for peace of mind.

Screenshot_20221218-210941_Opera.jpg

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It was a joke acteon!!

The room does have a fire alarm and carbon monoxide device that I installed when I moved in as I was unsure at the time if I would use the room.

Sometime next year the goal is to remodel the room. If that occurs then I would need the device.

I did find the paperwork of the company that inspected it last. It was a $75 service call to inspect, ensure it was good and start it back up. I might just do that once the room is done for peace of mind.
    I worked with dangerous gases.
    So.. I get a bit serious about them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thabk you all for your help.

Attach14583_20221220_092610.gif

With some help of youtube I was able to light the pilot and start up the wall furnance.

Nice blue flames I can see via the pilot hole glass and just now the fan kicked in and I can feel heat coming from bottom and top!

This is great!!!! This unit does NOT need power to work so I'm all set if I need to hunker down for the cold spell should we lose power.

WIN!!!!!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So the final questions are...

1. Is it safe to just leave "always on" and unattended and set the temp to 40 so it does not kick on as much.

2. When the unit is not heating I take it the bottom "furnance part" will just be off but the pilot light will continue to stay lite (buring gas) to start the furnace should it be needed right?

Meaning I'm still using gas 24/7 at this unit.

20221220_093454.jpg

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Thabk you all for your help.

View attachment 243414

With some help of youtube I was able to light the pilot and start up the wall furnance.

Nice blue flames I can see via the pilot hole glass and just now the fan kicked in and I can feel heat coming from bottom and top!

This is great!!!! This unit does NOT need power to work so I'm all set if I need to hunker down for the cold spell should we lose power.

WIN!!!!!
    That is awesome!
    I would check to be sure there is no fan that needs power though. Typically the fan, if it has one, would only run when the furnace is hot enough and then blow the heat out into the room.

Top Bottom