• ...and so much more!
  • nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    So the final questions are...

1. Is it safe to just leave "always on" and unattended and set the temp to 40 so it does not kick on as much.

2. When the unit is not heating I take it the bottom "furnance part" will just be off but the pilot light will continue to stay lite (buring gas) to start the furnace should it be needed right?

Meaning I'm still using gas 24/7 at this unit.

View attachment 243417
    That is correct. You can leave it set low with the pilot running and yes it does use a little gas but not much. A lot of people have this type of heater in garages here and many of them shut down the pilot for the summer and then relight it in the fall, but some, like my uncle, just leave it running all year.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm knowledgeable on electrical and comfortable working with it. I looked on both sides of the wall as well as the ceiling of the garage as attic space above the room there is no electrical conduit or wires going to the unit apart from the low voltage wires from the Honeywell thermostat next to it.

I set the temp to 46 and the unit worked. I turned it down to 42 and just now the unit stopped making noise. The fan stopped, the burner on bottom is off just the pilot on. Room is at 44 now.

So I think this will work a-ok!
    Now to make some room in this room cause it has junk all over the place.

I think I'm read y for this storm.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I'm knowledgeable on electrical and comfortable working with it. I looked on both sides of the wall as well as the ceiling of the garage as attic space above the room there is no electrical conduit or wires going to the unit apart from the low voltage wires from the Honeywell thermostat next to it.

I set the temp to 46 and the unit worked. I turned it down to 42 and just now the unit stopped making noise. The fan stopped, the burner on bottom is off just the pilot on. Room is at 44 now.

So I think this will work a-ok!
    Now to make some room in this room cause it has junk all over the place.

I think I'm read y for this storm.
    That fan might be powered by electricity - No?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Williams model 3508732 is what is in that room.
    It looks like you have a Forsaire Counterflow model - that does require electricity for the blower fan

Williams does make Monterey and Monterey Plus models where it says "no electricity required". But even those models have an optional blower which then does require electricity.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So what does power the fan?
    :dunno:
    I can't find any power lines to the unit?
    I do feel the heat at the bottom.
    There is one more route via the attic it could be taking but unsure.

I think I'll power down the house and see if it runs the fan. Because the thought of going back into the attic is a pain in the .....

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I can't find any power lines to the unit?
    I do feel the heat at the bottom.
    There is one more route via the attic it could be taking but unsure.

I think I'll power down the house and see if it runs the fan. Because the thought of going back into the attic is a pain in the .....

It may be a Peltier device-powered fan. It used thermal exchange to produce power. I have one for my wood burner, it works awesome.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :(

And

Room temp at 43.
    Set thermostat to 40.
    Then turned off all power to house.
    Set thermostat to 50.
    Heard a click but nothing else. Only the pilot light was on. The bottom burner did not light up.

Waited a minutes, Set the thermostat to 55. I think I heard a click but unsure.
    In any case the bottom burner did not light.

Turned the power back on to house.
    Retested and after hearing the click the bottom burner did turn on and eventually the fan.

:(

Went back to electrical panel and powered off the house.

The fan stopped and the bottom burner cut off as well.

:crying:

So it is using power but from where unsure. I suspect there must be a attic line going back to the garage panel. There is nothing on the bottom nor in the garage ceiling (it's an open ceiling).

*sigh*
    So the unit works and will work during normal activity for the room.

Sadly for an emergency this will not work. So it's time to decide if a Mr buddy is in order to prep for this storm.

Thanks all for your help.

Top Bottom