• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    RULE #1 Always treat a gun as if it is loaded.

Then why is the first thing out of the shooter’s mouth usually “I didn’t think (or know) it was loaded!”. Cooper’s Rule #1 isn’t a rule at all, it’s a mindset. And one which fails far too often. As long as what we are handling is a functional firearm we should treat it as a such whether or not we know or think it is loaded. We do this through observable, correctable action. And first on that list should be keeping a pointed in a safe direction always. This mitigate the damage of a negligent or accidental discharge. Introducing the concept of pretending a gun is always loaded unfortunately invites some to believe they can be more careless if they think it isn’t.

My :twocents: anyway

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    RULE #1 Always treat a gun as if it is loaded.

And 3... 2... 1...

Then why is the first thing out of the shooter’s mouth usually “I didn’t think (or know) it was loaded!”. Cooper’s Rule #1 isn’t a rule at all, it’s a mindset. And one which fails far too often. As long as what we are handling is a functional firearm we should treat it as a such whether or not we know or think it is loaded. We do this through observable, correctable action. And first on that list should be keeping a pointed in a safe direction always. This mitigate the damage of a negligent or accidental discharge. Introducing the concept of pretending a gun is always loaded unfortunately invites some to believe they can be more careless if they think it isn’t.

i always love these discussions! YMMV

You were right on cue!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011

The way I was taught. FIFO.
    ”Always treat a gun as if was loaded.” Sums it up in my opinion. If that person and another I knew would have done that they would not have gone to the ER. Also have heard “only point a weapon in the direction of something you want to destroy” the other has served me well. If the person being told these maxims are not listening in the first place, then it is moot. Keeping it simple ....

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    About 30 years ago in a state far away. A co worker had a discharge on a back up 380 in his squad car Hit the fire extinguisher. Next qualification his target had a blown up photo of said fire extinguisher (scoring rings and all) on it.

He couldn't see it until when the targets turned to face the line. Wish we had cell phones back then. That look on his face was priceless!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Honestly I’m surprised this isn’t more common this time of year. Especially this year with the election going how it has. A bunch of first timers buying guns with their Christmas bonus, fondling it in the parking lot checking it out, losing a little muscle mass in the process.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Honestly I’m surprised this isn’t more common this time of year. Especially this year with the election going how it has. A bunch of first timers buying guns with their Christmas bonus, fondling it in the parking lot checking it out, losing a little muscle mass in the process.

I believe that 95% of those first timers probably never even load the gun, let alone leave the house with it.

There's going to be a huge surplus of single boxes of ammo and unfired pistols at estate sales in the future.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

In my experience first time gun buyers aren't the problem on those type of an AD. The notorious Master Jedi ot Navy Rangers of the gun community are!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I believe that 95% of those first timers probably never even load the gun, let alone leave the house with it.

There's going to be a huge surplus of single boxes of ammo and unfired pistols at estate sales in the future.

Or in the classifieds. I better start working on 50 quality posts!

In my experience first time gun buyers aren't the problem on those type of an AD. The notorious Master Jedi ot Navy Rangers of the gun community are!

Sadly, you’re probably correct. People get so overwhelmed by their pride and arrogance they ignore the 4 rules and end up digging lead out of their leg.

Funny/Not funny story. My brothers best friend from school became a cop (he ended up in prison for selling cocaine in Kentucky). He was cleaning his glock and pulled the trigger to break it down. Unfortunately, he didn’t make sure it was clear. Even more unfortunate (or fortunate, since it stopped anyone else from catching the bullet), it was aimed at his leg. The way he told the story he ran into the road in front of his house, waving his badge trying to get someone to stop and rush him to the hospital, but everyone was too scared to stop so kept driving by. I’m assuming he didn’t radio in for help because he didn’t wanna announce his mistake for the entire force to hear. Great guy, poor choices. Haven’t seen him in years.

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood

We can only hope! High supply and low demand would be a welcome change.

BTW, I don’t think anyone mentioned that clearing his firearm should not have included pulling the trigger... so yes to pointing the firearm in a safe direction, but no need to pull the trigger after proper clearing procedure.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    We can only hope! High supply and low demand would be a welcome change.

BTW, I don’t think anyone mentioned that clearing his firearm should not have included pulling the trigger... so yes to pointing the firearm in a safe direction, but no need to pull the trigger after proper clearing procedure.

It'll happen. The tide comes in, the tide goes out. If this is the time that things never do revert to the previous pattern, then we've got bigger problems.

As regards trigger pulling, you have to pull the trigger to field strip a Glock (and possibly other striker fired pistols). If I were to place a bet, I'd venture that at least a quarter of all NDs are Glocks being field stripped.

FWIW, I also always function check my stuff upon reassembly, which means making sure there's a click when the trigger is pulled. I'll risk the almost 0% chance of an ND (in a safe direction) vs. finding out I put it together wrong or jammed it up with a corner of a patch or something when I need it.

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    It'll happen. The tide comes in, the tide goes out. If this is the time that things never do revert to the previous pattern, then we've got bigger problems.

As regards trigger pulling, you have to pull the trigger to field strip a Glock (and possibly other striker fired pistols). If I were to place a bet, I'd venture that at least a quarter of all NDs are Glocks being field stripped.

FWIW, I also always function check my stuff upon reassembly, which means making sure there's a click when the trigger is pulled. I'll risk the almost 0% chance of an ND (in a safe direction) vs. finding out I put it together wrong or jammed it up with a corner of a patch or something when I need it.

Makes sense. I was thinking that he was clearing it—can’t imagine someone would field strip it in a parking lot? The time to function check is at home, after cleaning and before going to the range. If you want to ensure it’s unloaded, clear the gun and don’t pull the trigger. Then again, who knows? No matter how you slice it, you shouldn’t point it at your leg and pull the trigger.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Makes sense. I was thinking that he was clearing it—can’t imagine someone would field strip it in a parking lot? The time to function check is at home, after cleaning and before going to the range. If you want to ensure it’s unloaded, clear the gun and don’t pull the trigger. Then again, who knows? No matter how you slice it, you shouldn’t point it at your leg and pull the trigger.

Sorry. I didn't realize your thought was in direct relation to the guy in the OP. I thought you were just making a general statement of it being an unsafe practice.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The way I was taught. FIFO.
    ”Always treat a gun as if was loaded.” Sums it up in my opinion. If that person and another I knew would have done that they would not have gone to the ER. Also have heard “only point a weapon in the direction of something you want to destroy” the other has served me well. If the person being told these maxims are not listening in the first place, then it is moot. Keeping it simple ....

Appendix carry reholstering makes that and cb's rule one ... problematic

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom