• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I am the first person outside of the industry to actually see it or report on it so this really is an exclusive.

Detonics Defense, makers of the little Detonics Combat Master pistols, is on the verge (read that as next couple of weeks) of introducing a fully CNC machined 1911 pistol (that is another industry first for Detonics). The frame will be a modular ~ switch grip ~ type frame that will allow you to change from a wide body double stack magazine to a thin profile compact 1911 pistol (another 1911 first for Detonics).

I can say the gun is very close to production release, production will very limited, roughly 2 to 3 dozen guns a week. These will be full CNC guns that will be hand fitted. Don't expect bargain prices, Detonics has always been geared toward being a professional defensive weapon and the prices have been reflective of that over the years. If you are in the market for a premium grade 1911, and can hold out for a little while, this may be your gun.

I have been told I can only release a limited amount of information about this gun. So what I posted is what you get.

More to come . . .

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I saw a photo of it last week on another page. It looked really cool. Instead of the usual spured hammer, it was triangle shaped. I'd love to see one up close and personel.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I saw a photo of it last week on another page. It looked really cool. Instead of the usual spured hammer, it was triangle shaped. I'd love to see one up close and personel.
    Are you referring to this gun? This is not the modular gun. This is the current production CombatMaster compact 1911.

15-2.jpg

12-5.jpg

18-1.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OK, here is an iPhone snap of the new modular frames.

1.jpg

The 5" guns will NOT be available for civilian purchase for quite some time, those are going to the D.o.D. guys and other secret squirrel types. The CombatMaster size guns will be available very soon.

Take a very close look at the frames, those are modular and can be swapped for either single or double stack magazines.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Will they take proprietary magazines?
    Yes, they are DOUBLE STACK high capacity pistols. There is no established standard for double stack magazines.

With that trigger guard it looks to me it may not take regular Holsters. Looks cool but very expensive.
    The compact version is going to be about $1500 for the MSRP. That is very competitive for a high grade gun, far below the semi-custom brands. As for the trigger guard, that may or may not fit in a standard holster, I don't know. But I suspect that it will probably fit into any of the holsters that accomadate a tactical rail. Time will tell.

The finger relief below the trigger guard will be a very welcome addition to ergonomics, giving a better purchase on the gun and raising the web of your hand up closer to the bore axis.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The grip actually comes off and can be swapped for a different size. The frame is actually the part that contains the rails.

This is a photo from a preliminary brochure they shared with me. Unfortunately I am not allowed to share the contents of the brochure since it is not a final version.

Screenshot2011-10-03at84251PM.png

Right, I know that there are several different double stack mag types. Is the single stack proprietary?
    I presume it is the same as the original Seattle CombatMaster magazines. Of that I am not certain.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't consider myself a 1911 guy but those could sway me. I love seeing some new technology and options to the 100 year old design.

From what I know, the price doesn't seem that high for such a limited availability firearm.

Thanks for sharing the pics and information.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have a lot more information, but I agreed to only disclose what they allowed me to disclose and maintain secret that which has not yet been finalized.

I can tell you that the guns will be released in a two-tone Black over Titanium Grey as well as Black over Black.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for sharing MD, those look awesome. I'm looking to FINALLY buy my first 1911 this year, that may not make it as my first, but I'm liking what I see :yesway:

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    melensdad, any specs on the frame? One of the features I really like on the 1911 is the slim grip, these look wider.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I can't give out any specs, but I can tell you that the grip frame is only marginally thicker than the single-stack CombatMaster pictured in post #3. Basically if you can grip a standard 1911 then you probably won't have any issues with the new frame. If you can barely grip a standard 1911 then the new frame may be an issue for you, but I suspect for most people it will be a comfortable gun to grasp.

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I am anxiously awaiting more info on specs, esp the internals and how much of the small parts are "standard" 1911 sizes.

Maybe it will have a series 100( for the 100th anniversary) safety.;)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I am anxiously awaiting more info on specs, esp the internals and how much of the small parts are "standard" 1911 sizes.

Maybe it will have a series 100( for the 100th anniversary) safety.;)
    I don't think you'll find a lot of interchangeable parts.

The trigger is going to be double wide, like the ParaUSA and other wide body triggers. But none of those are standardized so they can't swap with each other. The magazine release is also going to be a wide body proprietary design, ditto the mainspring housing. However the slide parts should be pretty much standard items, other than the fact that these are all CNC machined out of bar stock instead of investment cast.

By my count there are 63 companies that make 1911 pistols today. Only a handful of companies actually make the frames, a few more make slides, most companies actually "time share" the molds for their frames with other companies so despite what you think about the frame of brand X, it literally may be made in the exact same mold as that from brand Y.

Detonics is slightly different in that they have a grip frame angle on the original guns (Seattle factory) that is 2-degrees off of a standard GI model. The new guns return to this proprietary grip angle and many claim its one of the reasons why Detonics have lower felt recoil than other 1911 pistols.

Going to a fully CNC machined gun makes these guns very unique in the world, other than being fully CNC machined, it also means they are actually built in house. Almost no other gun maker can claim that.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Looks like an awesome gun, my question is when do the number of changes to a gun stop it from being a 1911 and just make it a new gun. This has to be awful close.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Looks like an awesome gun, my question is when do the number of changes to a gun stop it from being a 1911 and just make it a new gun. This has to be awful close.

I don't think its "awful close" to a new gun at all.

The slide, barrel, lock-up system are pure 1911.

The trigger, while it has to fit around a double stack magazine, is pure 1911. The thumb safety is pure 1911, but again designed for a double stack frame. The mainspring and hammer system are also pure 1911 designs, simply adapted to a double stack frame. There are other 1911 frames that have departed from a traditional shape. Safari Arms, ParaUSA and STI all come to mind as having non-standard frames available.

The real difference is the grip shape and the fact that the grip comes off and can be interchanged.

Top Bottom