• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Going to a fully CNC machined gun makes these guns very unique in the world, other than being fully CNC machined, it also means they are actually built in house. Almost no other gun maker can claim that.
    Can not claim what, exactly, that they are CNC manchined or they're "built in house"?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    When the parts are no longer interchangeable with a 1911. ;)

So are you trying to say that a Series 80 Colt is not a 1911 because not all its parts will interchange parts with a Series 70? Or the fact that the 70 has a collet bushing while the 80 has a solid bushing? Or are you saying that the 1911 guns that have tapered target barrels are not 1911s because they don't any front bushing and you can't fit a tapered target barrel into a government model slide? Or are you saying that a Colt series 90 models are the made in the devil's workshop because the slide/barrel/recoil system won't simply interchange onto a Colt 5" government model?

Based on your criteria it seems like when Colt introduced the Series 70 in 1971 that was the beginning of the end of the 1911 by your book. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Can not claim what, exactly, that they are CNC manchined or they're "built in house"?
    Both. But by "built in house" we are referring to built with parts that are made in house, rather than simply assembled in house with outside sourced parts. There are only a couple companies that actually make their own bits and pieces and assemble them into their own guns.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    So are you trying to say that a Series 80 Colt is not a 1911 because not all its parts will interchange parts with a Series 70? Or the fact that the 70 has a collet bushing while the 80 has a solid bushing? Or are you saying that the 1911 guns that have tapered target barrels are not 1911s because they don't any front bushing and you can't fit a tapered target barrel into a government model slide? Or are you saying that a Colt series 90 models are the made in the devil's workshop because the slide/barrel/recoil system won't simply interchange onto a Colt 5" government model?

Based on your criteria it seems like when Colt introduced the Series 70 in 1971 that was the beginning of the end of the 1911 by your book. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Not my book, your own statements, in your posts. :rolleyes:

Colt introduced 70G01001 in 1970.

Both. But by "built in house" we are referring to built with parts that are made in house, rather than simply assembled in house with outside sourced parts. There are only a couple companies that actually make their own bits and pieces and assemble them into their own guns.
    Such as?

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Looks like the retarded offspring of a 1911 and a CZ. I'm sorry, it had to be said.

I'm sure sometime in the future I'll be able to handle one (I'll probably have to buy a few cigars first).
    Regardless of it's looks, if it performs well, and feels good, might be just the thing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Looks like the retarded offspring of a 1911 and a CZ. I'm sorry, it had to be said. . .
    And the CZ is the generally considered to be the best of the DA/SA pistols and is based on the ergonomics and controls of the 1911. Honestly I have no clue if the new Detonics guns were designed to mimic the look of the CZ pistols or not, but I totally agree with you that the grip/frame area does look a lot like the CZ. I supposed I should have asked that question when I had the chance.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Another thing that I thought about.
    In regards to the modular feature, I know you probably can't get into it, but how modular will it be?
    Will it be just size (grip thickness, bbl length, grip length) or will it include caliber as well?

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Huh? You are the one who said when the parts don't fit. I simply pointed out the Colt parts that don't fit Colts so by your standard even a Colt is not a real 1911.
    More parts of the Series 80, 70s and 90 interchange than do the new Detonics.

I don't think you'll find a lot of interchangeable parts.
    The trigger is going to be double wide, like the ParaUSA and other wide body
    triggers
    The magazine release is also going to be a wide body proprietary design, ditto
    the mainspring housing.
    You made the comments, not me.
    How about you try to list the companies that do it. Hint, not most of the big names!
    Colt does (yes, I have been through the factory), Baer does, and yes you are correct, many of them do use vendors.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    In regards to the modular feature, I know you probably can't get into it, but how modular will it be?
    Will it be just size (grip thickness, bbl length, grip length) or will it include caliber as well?
    He posted some good photos of it on the first page.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    You made the comments, not me.
    Yes, but in the context that those are still 1911 pistols. You clearly are taking things out of context and twisting what I wrote.

At this point the focus of the company seems to be on self defense. That said, they are focusing on the 45acp. The 5" barrel guns are all going to defense contractors, Dept of Defense analysis, etc. The 3.5" barrel guns are apparently going to both the civilian and the police markets.

I would suspect that AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE the modular 5" guns would be attractive to the competitive shooters, but the way I was told, there are many months worth of production of the 5" guns that are already spoken for and it may be some time before we get a chance to get our hands on that size gun. If competitors gravitate toward it, and create a real market demand, its likely the company will respond with either 38 Super or 9mm caliber variants. I don't see that in the near future, at least nothing was indicated to me, but I also admit that I didn't ask specifically.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes, but in the context that those are still 1911 pistols. You clearly are taking things out of context and twisting what I wrote.
    I took nothing out of context, and did not twist anything, very few parts are interchangeable, that is not out of context.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Huh? You are the one who said when the parts don't fit. I simply pointed out the Colt parts that don't fit Colts so by your standard even a Colt is not a real 1911.

How about you try to list the companies that do it. Hint, not most of the big names!

Olympic Arms is included in this short list. Although through ignorance people still diss this brand as well.
    full-constable.jpg

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I have been scouring the internet for more info but melensdad is the best. I really like this pistol from what I see so far: all the things I like in a 1911, minus what I don't. I think I will have to rustle up some cash or sell somethin'. Where does one buy a Detonics anyway? I have only seen one sale used at a local gunstore several years ago.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have been scouring the internet for more info but melensdad is the best. I really like this pistol from what I see so far: all the things I like in a 1911, minus what I don't. I think I will have to rustle up some cash or sell somethin'. Where does one buy a Detonics anyway? I have only seen one sale used at a local gunstore several years ago.

Detonics guns are almost always sold by ordering one from the factory or from a wholesaler and having it shipped to an FFL. You can typically go to your local gun store and they can order one for you. These have always been low production guns. Stocking dealers are (and were always) pretty much non-existent (with the exception of in the Seattle, WA area in the 1970's and 80's when the factory was located there).

I was told this new model will be posted as available to be ordered in the next couple weeks. I don't know if they will go through a wholesaler or if they will sell 'direct' from their website and ship to local dealers. I already have one on order, but I know a guy in the factory so he put me on the list.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    kinda neat, have a feeling this version will go the way of all the others. sad thing is I have at least 1 from every Detonics upstart, might have to get one of these

Only time will tell. While the Georgia guns were probably the best made of the CombatMasters in terms of technical excellence, and tolerances, and may have had lots of small technical improvements that were overseen by Sid, they never inspired anyone. The AZ guns before them seemed to focus on looks. The Seattle gun were really the inspired guns and were Sid's dream. Seattle guns were the real innovators that broke new ground in 1911 design.

All that said, it looks like Illinois is going to carry on the torch that was lit by Sid Woodcock in the mid-70's by breaking new ground in 1911 development. Some of it with totally modern manufacturing, some of it with new features.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    So MD, since your so close to the Detonics personnel, do you get a free one or at least a major discount? Not for resale of course but for your personal?

Top Bottom