• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I think it takes the modularity concept from the pages of the failed Sig P250, the sexy lines of a CZ and the baller status from the Detonics name. I would feel honored to own one of these pistols. It looks fantastic and I bet it shoots even better. If I could justify that kind of scratch on a pistol, I'd select one of those in a heart beat.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Infinity Firearms

Sandy Strayer has been building fully modular 1911-pattern guns, made from bar stock, including grips, for at least two years. If you go back to the polymer grips, he and STI have been at that since the 1990s.

Durability, even with polymer frames is superb. I own two (40 and 38 Super) with over 15k between them - no issues. Many that I shoot with have 25k+. Most people look to fit new barrels before replacing frames or grips.

Reliability will be the key. Experience has shown that magazines are the weak point and tuning double-column mags in 1911-framed gun is tricky at best. My bet is that, despite the option, people are likely NOT to switch grips or anything else once things are running right.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    This week will be interesting for Detonics. According to my source, the final assembly, test fire and packaging for shipment of the new modular guns is scheduled to begin. If all goes as planned, guns will begin to ship out sometime during next week (week of Oct 24).

I'm waiting to see if the new guns are officially "announced" on the Detonics website this week, or if they will wait to announce the guns after they get them boxed up and into the distribution stream. With the exception of Ruger, seems like most companies official announce a new product months before it is in actual production. Not sure what Detonics is planning to do, but I am guessing the new modular gun being announced this coming weekend. . . but I'm not going to wager any money on that. Its a guess, not a bet.

Sandy Strayer has been building fully modular 1911-pattern guns, made from bar stock, including grips, for at least two years...
    As has been previously stated, those are not production guns.

This is the first production gun to offer all these features in one 1911 package that an end user can reconfigure with an off-the-shelf production pistol that is found in retail/stocking gun stores.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    As has been previously stated, those are not production guns.

This is the first production gun to offer all these features in one 1911 package that an end user can reconfigure with an off-the-shelf production pistol that is found in retail/stocking gun stores.

And you previously claimed that what Detonics is doing is an "industry first" and when you put up your original post you did not limit your claim to makers of production guns.

What Detonics is doing may be unique among production gun makers, but it is clearly not an industry first.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . .What Detonics is doing may be unique among production gun makers, but it is clearly not an industry first.

I believe we have established that, I did concede it previously.

WTF is your problem? Why are you continuing to be a nit-picker? I amended my point in response to your prior post. I even said I learned something. How many times must you post and must it be acknowledged?

Do you not follow the thread? Post #51 from 3 days ago.

If you don't like this gun that is fine, just don't become a jerk.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Why do I get the feeling that the screws holding the grips to the rails would bend/warp/break after a couple thousand shots?

After looking again at all the pictures, it's an interesting idea, but why try to fix something that isn't broken?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Why do I get the feeling that the screws holding the grips to the rails would bend/warp/break after a couple thousand shots?
    Time will tell, but I think many would share similar concerns. Then again, there are only 2 little lugs that hold the upper to the lower of an AR15 and some fairly powerful cartridges like the 458 Socom and 50 Beowulf don't seem to be snapping those aluminum lugs. Honestly, I think frame strength its a fair thing to question, we won't have the answer until we see some reports from the field.

After looking again at all the pictures, it's an interesting idea, but why try to fix something that isn't broken?
    For the same reason that ParaUSA (formerly Para-Ordnance) developed the production double-stack 1911 . . . and then later developed the LDA trigger. For the same reason that someone (no clue who) first "Bobtailed" their grip frame. For the same reason there are lightweight alloy frames. For the same reason that the slide was cut and the barrel coned. For the same reason that all stainless steel pistols were developed that would not gall when the frame and rails rubbed. For the same reason there are 1911 compensators.

Because it can be done. Because some people love to tinker. Because some people foresee a perceived need.

Or, I dunno. :dunno:

melensdad, please post a detailed review with range report when you get yours.
    Look for something near the end of this month or the beginning of November . . . presuming they actually ship on/close to the schedule that I'm hearing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    For those concerned about the grip size, here is some information and comparison that I can release. The new Detonics pistols is designated the MTX, the traditional Detonics is designated the CM.

You can see the new gun's grip is actually going to be similar to, or smaller, in most ways that the Glock 26, a traditional 1911 or a Sig 250.

Screenshot2011-10-11at80435PM.png

Hopefully this will help clear up some things. :)

The grip, by the way, holds 12 rounds of 45acp and is 5/8" longer than the original CombatMaster grip. That makes this grip just about "Officer" size instead of the shortened CombatMaster size which left your little finger grasping for air.

Last edited:

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Thanks for the info melensdad. I had been thinking about a Stinger but this pistol has my interest.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . this pistol has my interest.

If my information is correct, the grip circumference of the double-stack Stinger is 5.8 inches, a traditional/original CombatMaster is 5.218 inches, and the new Detonics modular double-stack grip is only 5.34 inches while my 2nd generation Glock 17 is 5.96.

In addition to being slightly smaller, you'll notice the grip is relieved in the front under the trigger guard and in the rear to allow for a higher grip to bore axis. One would expect the new Detonics modular grip to be easier to control under recoil than other guns. I'd liken it to the CZ75b grip, a gun that is often hailed as the peak of double-stack ergonomic design.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OMG i want one really bADDDDD!!!
    i would sell my kimber for one of those

It looks like Detonics on schedule to begin to ship the guns during the week of October 24.

The initial production will be very limited, about 25 guns. Followed by another similar size batch. They expect to be at that level for a couple months, but once they have everything up and running they will be producing something in the range of 125 guns a week/roughly 500 per month.

Broadsword

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    I own an original Seattle built Detonics Combat Master, Professional Model. It's a great gun. Very well built and hand fitted. It's the stainless model and is a great concealed carry .45 ACP.
    I'm up in the air right now as to if I'll keep it or trade/sell it. I want a Glock 17L or G34 9mm for tactical carry backed up with a G19 for CCW. I'm also looking at that Lone Wolf AR lower built to take Glock mags. I like the idea of having a common caliber and interchangable magazines.
    Broadsword

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Your CombatMaster, if it says Professional Model on the slide, is a MK VI gun and should have a satin fished frame with polished sides on your slide. It was different from other MK VI guns only by the words Professional Model engraved on the side. All of the MK VI guns were considered to be the deluxe models as they had the highest level of finish, an interchangeable leaf adjustable rear sight. It probably has a CR prefix serial number and is likely in the 15xxx to 22xxx range.

If you have the box, papers, pistol rug and manual then the value of your gun is a couple hundred dollars higher than a brand new G34 will run you.

Broadsword

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Your CombatMaster, if it says Professional Model on the slide, is a MK VI gun and should have a satin fished frame with polished sides on your slide. It was different from other MK VI guns only by the words Professional Model engraved on the side. All of the MK VI guns were considered to be the deluxe models as they had the highest level of finish, an interchangeable leaf adjustable rear sight. It probably has a CR prefix serial number and is likely in the 15xxx to 22xxx range.

If you have the box, papers, pistol rug and manual then the value of your gun is a couple hundred dollars higher than a brand new G34 will run you.

Wow, sounds like you know your Detonics stuff. It is marked Mark IV and the serial number is CR107XX. It is the satin finish with polished slide sides. I do not have the box but I do have the original gun rug, manual and other paperwork as well as two Detonics factory stainless mags. It also has rubber Pachmyer wrap around grips with matching mainspring housing.
    Broadsword

Top Bottom