• ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    To Whomever is bringing the Saiga 12 with the bumpski, does it run ok with cheapo low brass target loads?

Low brass is good to go. Gas ports have been enlarged and gas block has been ground out. Had it there last year and it was overgassed, so I have an adjustable plug now.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    M-16, suppressed, Soundtech M3 (.22LR)
    -Winchester 555 .22LR bulk pack (most reliable)
    -CCI Mini mags (most reliable)
    -Federal 550 .22LR bulk pack (slightly less reliable)
    How picky is this weapon with ammo? Are these the only allowed options or are they recommendations? Finding the listed options is proving difficult. Is there something specific that should be searched for? jacketed/Round nose/etc...?

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    How picky is this weapon with ammo? Are these the only allowed options or are they recommendations? Finding the listed options is proving difficult. Is there something specific that should be searched for? jacketed/Round nose/etc...?

This particular upper has a 4.75” barrel so it prefers high velocity .22lr with a heavy projectile. Plated projectiles keeps the gun running more reliably for a longer period of time between cleanings due to the reduction of lead fouling. Furthermore, using plated projectiles yields a reduction in the coefficient of friction when pushing the cartridge up the feed ramps. The plating also reduces the amount of lead particulate that gets into the suppressor thus reducing the duration between cleanings of the can. The other factor is powder charge consistency of ammo manufacturers. As seen in the video below (note that this was filmed at a range that did not permit full auto, hence the semi auto only), the Remington golden bullet .22 value pack ammunition lacks powder charge consistency. A few will be under charged and will not cycle the gun (as seen in the beginning), and a few will be over charged resulting in a more noisy ballistic crack from the projectile braking the sound barrier (Note 90% of all high velocity ammo from various mfgs will be subsonic out of this upper).
    [video=youtube;rUpAmpItYWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpAmpItYWg[/video]

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey everyone, if anyone is planning on going to the n00b day. Some of us can do a group buy on 8mm! Gunbot has a link for 1000 rounds @ .28 cents a round

Anyone interested? I know I am!

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Is surplus ammo from the 1930's OK to use in the MG42? The deal i found on 8mm is from the 1930's area.

Also, i know this is going to sound dumb, so forgive me, but when we talked about 8mm, we ARE talking about 8mm Mauser correct?

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Is surplus ammo from the 1930's OK to use in the MG42? The deal i found on 8mm is from the 1930's area.

Also, i know this is going to sound dumb, so forgive me, but when we talked about 8mm, we ARE talking about 8mm Mauser correct?

The first post says no to the 40'/50's surplus, so I would doubt that would be good.

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    I guess I should of read this post much earlier. I could of brought
    Colt m16 5.56 & 9mm
    Uzi w/ suppressor 9mm & 22
    mac 11 9mm w/ supressor
    mac 10 45 w/ supressor
    american 180 .22lr
    rising 45
    rising 22 (only 3 made)
    browning 1919 .308
    ithaca stakeout
    60mm mortar
    several more suppressed firearms

Is there a plan to do this again in the future?

BrinNutz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    SBN
    I guess I should of read this post much earlier. I could of brought
    Colt m16 5.56 & 9mm
    Uzi w/ suppressor 9mm & 22
    mac 11 9mm w/ supressor
    mac 10 45 w/ supressor
    american 180 .22lr
    rising 45
    rising 22 (only 3 made)
    browning 1919 .308
    ithaca stakeout
    60mm mortar
    several more suppressed firearms

Is there a plan to do this again in the future?

Every year since 2008 I believe it's been done.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    341   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN

Yes, 8mm Mauser. And no, the 1930's stuff cant be shot through the MG42. Modern production 8mm ammo only. Mil surp runs about $0.70/round. I'll have some there, or it can be purchased in advance and reserved.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I can't find any .458 SOCOM or 5.45x39 ammo. Anybody know any places in NWI that has these in stock?

EDIT: I found 5.45x39 buts its Russian Military Surplus. It says the gun takes All Factory Made. Im guessing those would be a no go.

Also, I can't find any of the Winchester 555 .22lr or CCI Mini Mags for TheUziButton M-16 Suppressed. Do you have any other ammo recommendations for it?
    Thank You!

Last edited:

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    I can't find any .458 SOCOM or 5.45x39 ammo. Anybody know any places in NWI that has these in stock?

EDIT: I found 5.45x39 buts its Russian Military Surplus. It says the gun takes All Factory Made. Im guessing those would be a no go.

Also, I can't find any of the Winchester 555 .22lr or CCI Mini Mags for TheUziButton M-16 Suppressed. Do you have any other ammo recommendations for it?
    Thank You!

How much 458 are you looking for? I have some I will sell (rent) you as long as I get my brass back. It it 300gr. Barnes TSX
    also I have 100 rounds of 22 mini mags I don't have a use for I'd sell you if you were wanting the 458 also.

However, since the 458 is Andrew's I'm sure he has 458
    ammo for you to rent/buy.
    If you end up buying some and want to sell the brass let me know.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I found 5.45x39 buts its Russian Military Surplus. It says the gun takes All Factory Made. Im guessing those would be a no go.

Russian Milsurp is good to go.
    Here is a Labor day sale for 5.45
    5.45*5.45x39 - Russian Surplus - 2160 rds-SEALED CRATE*A545RUS-SC
    Use Coupon Code LaborDay to get 19.2 cents a round delivered.

Here is the same Russian Milsurp 5.45x39 in action...
    [video=youtube;AI2XPRP1NG0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2XPRP1NG0[/video]

Thank You!
    I cannot find any either.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Thank You!
    Ryan, I think I have two Winchester Bulk Packs at home. If you are having trouble finding some, I can help you out. As a matter of fact, If anyone for the n00b day is having trouble finding .22lr, shoot me a PM. I'm sure I can sell, or trade, some to people. And NO! I will NOT be asking panic prices. Everyone deserves to shoot these guns, so i will not ask for your left leg to do so.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Uhm anyone want to PM me on exactly what this event is... New guy here and have no clue what's going on

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have a question regarding ammo. I am sure you guys get this all the time too.

What ammo would be comparable if any to the ammo that is to be used in the .22's I have some of what is listed below, and I am just trying to see if I need to look for something I dont have.

CCI Stinger CP HP 32Gr
    CCI Quiet 22 LRN 40Gr
    Remington Thunderbolt LRN 40 Gr
    Winchester Super X CP HP 36 Gr
    Federal Target LRN 40Gr

Also for the HK MP5 will Blazer Alum brass be ok through it?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    341   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I have a question regarding ammo. I am sure you guys get this all the time too.

What ammo would be comparable if any to the ammo that is to be used in the .22's I have some of what is listed below, and I am just trying to see if I need to look for something I dont have.

CCI Stinger CP HP 32Gr
    CCI Quiet 22 LRN 40Gr
    Remington Thunderbolt LRN 40 Gr
    Winchester Super X CP HP 36 Gr
    Federal Target LRN 40Gr

Also for the HK MP5 will Blazer Alum brass be ok through it?

For my .22's, you can feed them whatever you want. They feed most anything. Blazer is fine for the MP5.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I just want to make sure, are there any weapons at the event that can't fire steel cased? Mainly in pistol calibers?

I don't want to speak for everyone bringing their stuff, but anything I bring that has steel ammo available for the caliber is good to shoot with steel. My stock MAC .45 upper and my AMP 10 9mm upper shoot great with steel, which is what I primarily feed them. I should have my SABRE upper by then (I just shipped my lower to Alliance/MAG Tactical for fitting, which should be plenty of time to get it back before NFA day), which I assume will be fine with steel 5.56/.223 as well.

My semi Uzi and MP5 shoot steel fine and the full autos I've fired dealt with steel with no problems (the MP5 doesn't particularly like flat tipped 147 grain ammo though, but that might just be mine).

I imagine most owners are in the same boat. Probably not everyone will be cool with corrosive ammo, though, except maybe anyone running 5.45x39.

Top Bottom