• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Back in the 80s during an informal get together at old Atterbury with about 40 shooters. Looking west we could see about 10 ISP cars and a CO coming east towards the range. They all pull in, announce over speaker for us to unload and get paperwork out. Polite, professional, and courteous, afterwards they started shooting some of the guns when invited to do so. Must have just been a slow day.

I would love to see that play out now. I don't think it would go as smoothly. Myself? I'd probably take that as my cue to end my day at the range and I probably wouldn't go back.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've had leo show up at a private property shoot just to make sure it wasn't a war happening. He didn't ask to see any stamps and was very cool about it all. There were all kinds of classlll, SlideFire and exploding targets.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Unless we have probable cause s crime is being committed we shouldn't be doing any of the things you listed. So I'm curious to see what people respond

Is seeing what looks to be too short to be a legal rifle probable cause?

If they wanted to be sure that no one is using "illegal" weapons they need to run every serial number of every gun that goes to their range. Plus do a background check on each person. I asked if he saw the paperwork for the people in the line in front of me and he said no, they said they were shooting hand guns. I asked how he didn't know there was and AOW or pistol with a stock in the case and if he even looked at the guns. He said he didn't.
    I didn't "over-react". I reacted in kind to his temperament and demeanor. When he said it's policy I reminded him of some policies from the 1950's and 60's. He then said all* ranges are required to see it. This I knew was a flagrant lie. As LJK basically said it's not a document they should have access to unless they are IRS or ATF.
    Do a search on here for NFA and Point Blank. There are multiple threads about it. Even one from a mod on here who was threatened by the RO. PB is a flippin' joke.
    Dan

*His world view only pertains to their chain. He probably meant all Point Blanks must do the check because its company policy and not law. A buddy of mine with a full auto got the same treatment at the one in Greenwood.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    None of you guys did anything illegal, if the cops understand what their jurisdictions, why would they care about the stamps.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013

SBR is legal, in the state of Indiana, what are you talking about.

So, it is required by law that you need to have a valid driver's license to drive a car. Is it a proper cause to pull you over, just because you're driving a car, nothing else.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    SBR is legal, in the state of Indiana, what are you talking about.

So, it is required by law that you need to have a valid driver's license to drive a car. Is it a proper cause to pull you over, just because you're driving a car, nothing else.

Can you repeat that in the form of a question?

But seriously, dont get so damned snippy. Just asking as its quite common to drive a car, not so common to carry a gun, and even LESS common to have an SBR. And yes they are legal provided you have jumped through the hoops. Thats all. Sheesh.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Can you repeat that in the form of a question?

But seriously, dont get so damned snippy. Just asking as its quite common to drive a car, not so common to carry a gun, and even LESS common to have an SBR. And yes they are legal provided you have jumped through the hoops. Thats all. Sheesh.

Guns are pretty common at a Shooting range, just sayin'.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I've had leo show up at a private property shoot just to make sure it wasn't a war happening. He didn't ask to see any stamps and was very cool about it all. There were all kinds of classlll, SlideFire and exploding targets.

At our July 4th this year shoot a local deputy sheriff showed up because of a neighbor's complaint. (She complains if the sun's too bright or the night's too dark!) The Deputy spent a few moments making sure of our back stops and targets and went to leave. We asked her if she wanted to shoot anything. My 8 year old grand son suggested the suppressed .22lr he had been shooting. She smiled, declined and left. We had SBR's, suppressors and SBS's out there on the table with other non-NFA items and at no time was there any mention of needing to show any paperwork of any kind. Fast forward 2 weeks. One of the guys there is the manager of an LGS. The deputy came into his store and recognized him. After a short conversation she said she wished she had taken us up on the offer to shoot. She was impressed with out professionalism and the positive attitude of the young man who wanted her to shoot his gun.
    Dan

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I don't frequent many, pay to play, ranges, but I will not go to Point Blank because of their policy. It's none of their business whether or not I paid my taxes.
    If Mikes Express Carwash demands to see my registration before they'll wash my truck, they can kiss my ass too. Again, it's none of their business.

Like Dan said, their house, their rules, but I won't support their stupidity with my cash.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    A former member and I think a couple others where handcuffed downtown Indy afew years back by some impd downtown district dayshift thugs for open carrying a fully legal MP5. It does happen

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've been told by other cops to avoid the dayshift downtown cops in regards to about anything. That's all the advice I need to stay the hell away unless absolutely necessary.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana

Absolutely not!
    The mere possession of an SBR is not grounds enough for me as an LEO (NON ATF) to ask for proof that it is legal. I could only ask for that type of information AFTER I had knowledge that a crime was committed or was about to be committed.
    Probable cause is suppose to be the safeguard that protects you from unlawful search and seizures. Unfortunately not all LEO's play fair.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I've never been asked . Had an officer show up over a complaint .
    He asked a few questions, looked at the range out of curiosity , BS'ed for a bit than left .
    We had Sbr;s and suppressors out .
    We did invite him to stop by after shift for some cold beer and smoked brisket . So maybe he just forgot .

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Absolutely not!
    The mere possession of an SBR is not grounds enough for me as an LEO (NON ATF) to ask for proof that it is legal. I could only ask for that type of information AFTER I had knowledge that a crime was committed or was about to be committed.
    Probable cause is suppose to be the safeguard that protects you from unlawful search and seizures. Unfortunately not all LEO's play fair.

Thanks, and you are correct on your second point. ("ill take this for officer safety" :rolleyes:)

Top Bottom