• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Ok, I'm starting to get comfortable enough with the gun I purchased to EDC (M&P Shield 9) to actually begin carrying it. I also have an M&P 9 compact that I am considering possibly using as a night stand gun. The compact has a rail that I could mount a light on and use it if needed in the middle of the night.

Currently the Shield is my night stand gun and the compact is in the safe, but eventually the plan is to carry the Shield and leave the compact in the night stand...but at night when I take the Shield off it will just go on the nightstand with my phone, knife, etc...

So, guys with a different gun for EDC and nightstand, what do you do with your EDC when you take it off at night? Is there a real advantage to having 2 separate guns for EDC and nightstand if your EDC just sits on the nightstand while you sleep anyway?

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    My carry gun is my night stand gun. I see no advantages and only disadvantages to having two separate types of guns to try to manipulate. Having the controls in a different spot or a different weight trigger is asking for trouble in the middle of the night when you have crusties in your eyes. My opinion of course.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I'm still rather new to carrying, but to answer your question, I have an XD9 next to the bed, but I usually carry my Sig P238.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Xds carry.
    226 house.
    With other weapons readily available as well as flashlights and other things in various places. In a nutshell

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    When I'm done for the night, my edc (Sig p250 Compact) goes back in the locked car in the garage. My night time bedroom gun is the Sig p250 Full size. On Saturdays when headed to church, it is the Glock 22. Always Armed. Really looking forward to the P320 striker!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    XDS for carry, and i have an XD40 that was meant for the bed gun (among other things, love this gun), but typically is the XDS because, well, I don't wear it when I sleep and I gotta put it somewhere. Honestly I have a shotgun close by that would be my go to "bump in the night" gun. The XD40 has turned into more of a hidden gun if needed than a bedside gun.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Left out something... I'm not going to trust a gun with my life that I don't shoot quite often. So, I try to keep regular shooters/carry guns to one or two. Don't get me wrong, it's great to have several guns and enjoy them all at the range, just want to be 100% sure of the tool I'm using when it matters most. So back to the OP, keep up on each tool, and keep a tool where you will always hopefully never need it.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    My carry gun is my night stand gun. I see no advantages and only disadvantages to having two separate types of guns to try to manipulate. Having the controls in a different spot or a different weight trigger is asking for trouble in the middle of the night when you have crusties in your eyes. My opinion of course.

i have a dry eye condition .. I am immune to crusties .. Therefore can be fully aware at a moments notice.

Purple implied

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    When I'm done for the night, my edc (Sig p250 Compact) goes back in the locked car in the garage. My night time bedroom gun is the Sig p250 Full size. On Saturdays when headed to church, it is the Glock 22. Always Armed. Really looking forward to the P320 striker!

I assume you bought the 2 Sum package. Were you able to purchase a second firing package? If so, where and how much did it cost?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I used to have one gun for the house and a different one for carry. Right now I use a glock 19 with night sights for everything. I am thinking about putting a flashlight and night sights on my full sized xd 9mm and using it for a house gun, but I'm just going to chew on that idea for a while. I really like the idea of having one gun around all the time. The xd and the glock do not have tremendously different controls, but they are a little different and I think I would be better served keeping it simple.

Maybe I should instead get a flashlight for my 19 and just carry it with a light. Choices, choices.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Actually bought the compact first, then the Two Sum after that contained the Full Size and Sub Compact. Don't really have a use for the sub compact right now. So, I had two different fcg's. First was from gander about 650 and the two sum was gun broker at 500 (great price!).

Tatorchip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    My EDC is a Walther PPQ .40; Nightstand is EAA Windicator .357 revolver with Glaser Blue safety slugs

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why don't you just carry the 19 with the light?

I thought about going your route and carrying one without a flash light and keeping one at home with a light, but how much more of a pain in the but would it be to just carry the G19 with a light?
    Chicks dig it when I carry the G with light appendix.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    EDC and nightstand is the same 1911. At home, however rests a SBR AR with a light, and night sights, also by the nightstand. Not that I don't trust my 1911, but I've used an AR in combat, and just feel more comfortable with a long gun in my hands... even a short one. A pistol is for when you can't carry a rifle.

RangerRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Fountain County
    Judge. with strobe light attached in the night stand . 12 gauge with pressure pad light hung under dust ruffle( god I hate that thing). Better half keeps a 9mm with laser on her stand.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    My night stand is a Beretta Border Marshal 9MM. I am trying to get a sig P938 for an EDC as the Beretta is way to big IMHO. Want to stay with the same caliber.

Top Bottom