• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Because IMPD cannot pretend that it does not have personal responsibility for the moronic laws that exist.

I just all morning listening to people rock on their heels and pull on their labels and talk about aiding and abeting, acting as an agent and conspiracy, oh, and don't forget the "personal responsibility" thrown about when they don't have an answer to your inquiries.

No way it only works one way.:laugh:

Sure, it's a moronic set of laws and if you ask the police they will likely agree, but as the law is founded on a gun, the police are part of the process.

And your point of view is exactly why LE can never win in the eyes of some people.
    This reminds me of a time, I responded to a noise complaint round 1am a few years back. A group was celebrating their grandparents 50 anniversary, and had a live band. A very loud live band that was clearly in violation of city code. The neighbor across the street was seriously annoyed and demanded that I shut down the party. I arrive, talk to the people and ask that they shut down. One of the grandkids asked if they could be allowed to play 2 more songs, even though they had paid for a full hour more. I said sure. I waited for the two song to be over, and thanked the family for hutting down. The next day, I had 2 complaints; one for making the party shut down, and the other from the guy across the street because I didn't make them stop fast enough. :n00b:

So concerninh a lemonade stand, what if, it's another citizen that doesnt want kids selling lemonade on the sidewalk. And let's say this "grinch" knows that city code prohibits them. What do I say to them "pound sand?" Or do I uphold the law as it is written? 99% of officers aren't looking to stomp on kids having fun; calls like these are typically generated by Mr. "Name Withheld by Request."

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So concerninh a lemonade stand, what if, it's another citizen that doesnt want kids selling lemonade on the sidewalk. And let's say this "grinch" knows that city code prohibits them. What do I say to them "pound sand?" Or do I uphold the law as it is written? 99% of officers aren't looking to stomp on kids having fun; calls like these are typically generated by Mr. "Name Withheld by Request."

I vote the "pound sand" option. Tell them there are too many real criminals out there to waste time on this. :yesway: :):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I vote the "pound sand" option. Tell them there are too many real criminals out there to waste time on this. :yesway: :):

You would rather an officer choose selectively which laws to enforce? Not merely exercising discretion but actively not enforcing a law even when a citizen DEMANDS that action be taken?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    You would rather an officer choose selectively which laws to enforce? Not merely exercising discretion but actively not enforcing a law even when a citizen DEMANDS that action be taken?

Absolutely. I want every officer to weigh his conscience when serving his community. Then no matter how horrible the laws (have already) become, a Peace Officer has the option to move on and look for some real crime. I would grant every officer full discretion for walking away from a stupid law. Consider it the final check and balance in the system. The Executive Branch has its opportunity to shine when the Legislative and Judicial run away from any semblance of preserving liberty.

Then we might not have to discuss how true blue Americana is being mindlessly shut down by dutiful enforcers. If people want me to play along with the notion that they will not confiscate our guns, then I would like to use harmless lemonade stands as a proving ground.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I did exactly that... and if someone complained, I would drive by stop, wave (probably buy some lemonade), find out who the complainant was and as exactly what the problem was.

I had a similar call where a guy driving well marked VFW van was going around and picking up donations for homeless vets. Some moron called in on him because he was black. The call was dispatched as black man driving a black van, "casing" the area. No mention was made of the 2 ft white "VFW, Donation Pickup" lettering on the side. I saw the guy, made contact with him as he was making a pickup. Nothing wrong. I then met with the complainant and had them explain to me exactly what made that guy suspicious. Which was, of course, the ole "I've never seen him around here before" excuse.... :rolleyes:

So did they call in and say they'd never seen you around there before, despite the conspicuous logo on your vehicle?:laugh:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Absolutely. I want every officer to weigh his conscience when serving his community. Then no matter how horrible the laws (have already) become, a Peace Officer has the option to move on and look for some real crime. I would grant every officer full discretion for walking away from a stupid law. Consider it the final check and balance in the system. The Executive Branch has its opportunity to shine when the Legislative and Judicial run away from any semblance of preserving liberty.

Then we might not have to discuss how true blue Americana is being mindlessly shut down by dutiful enforcers. If people want me to play along with the notion that they will not confiscate our guns, then I would like to use harmless lemonade stands as a proving ground.

Then a liberal officer who finds your 2nd Amendment rights (or at least local laws clarifying where they are permitted to apply) to be as stupid as these laws could simply ignore them? Stupidity is in the eye of the beholder, after all.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Then a liberal officer who finds your 2nd Amendment rights (or at least local laws clarifying where they are permitted to apply) to be as stupid as these laws could simply ignore them? Stupidity is in the eye of the beholder, after all.

I'm talking about walking away from enforcing ****ty laws. If they are acting like a mindless enforcer, looking for a reason to arrest you, then they obviously aren't using that discretion I mentioned.

Is it even possible for a local ordinance to override more restrictive state gun-control laws? Can you think of an example of what you are saying?

When cops are told that they are obligated to enforce every law, well, here we are. Lemonade stands can't even operate on a private driveway. I can't really imagine how adding discretion to the equation could make things worse.

gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Didn't they have a big deal awhile back where kids sold lemonade to learn about small business ownership and have one stand on the governors lawn

Top Bottom