• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm not sure where the tradition of using two bibles instead of one comes from.
    Obviously George Washington couldn't use his onw bible and one belonging to a former president.
    i think it's more of a recognition of the huge undertaking of the office and a respect for some of the greatest to come before them.

raider600

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Beech Grove
    All this religious involvement in the inauguration is the most depressing part of the whole thing. How embarrassing that this is the image the US sends out to the rest of the world. As I watch the ceremony I realize just how much it pains me watching grown and intelligent people that will rule this country descend into archaic rituals of christian "voodoo." I truly hope there will come a day when we can rid ourselves of these ancient shackles.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    All this religious involvement in the inauguration is the most depressing part of the whole thing. How embarrassing that this is the image the US sends out to the rest of the world. As I watch the ceremony I realize just how much it pains me watching grown and intelligent people that will rule this country descend into archaic rituals of christian "voodoo." I truly hope there will come a day when we can rid ourselves of these ancient shackles.

I'm not sure they have to use bibles.
    I assume an atheist president could use something else.Like directly swearing on the constitution.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are worse things to guide the governance of a people.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Considering we had a Muslim screwing the country for 8 years and moral values took a dive for 8 years I found the invocations and speeches asking God for strength and wisdom and President Trump saying God is on our side quite invigorating

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

The Founders strongly disagreed with your opinion. The Founders expressly worshiped, as they put it, "our Creator", notice the capital "C" in Creator, signifying that they meant God Almighty. Most, if not all the colonists were God-fearing people, and there are numerous quotes attributed to the Founders in which they express their faith in the Lord, and their belief that God not only blessed their war against Great Britain, but that He was the only reason they were able to defeat what was at that time, the most powerful army on earth. When the Continental Congress met do the people`s work, they not only prayed, but they held full-blown worship services prior to working. Clearly, you`re entitled to your opinion, but, this government was absolutely set up upon the foundation of a strong faith and reliance upon God, America IS a Christian nation, and, we pray that it shall always be thus.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    i believe a bible must be used. Hopefully it will always be a bible.
    just like you use a bible in court

Actually I recently looked it up, you are not required to use a bible in court if you are not religious, as it should be.
    An atheist swearing on a bible would have no value anyway.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."
    [SUB]--The Trumpet Voice of Freedom: Patrick Henry of Virginia, p. iii.[/SUB]

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    More of the tearing down of America and her values.

Freedom of religion, including the freedom of not having a religon is part of the values of America IMO.

Having someone who does not believe in god swear on a bible wouldn't make any sense anyway. :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    And President Trump deffinately has more grace than me because I would have put the obamas asses on a value jet back to Kenya. Not Air Force one to comifornia

I was thinking the same thing. A yellow cab for the "X" and a "uber" for the vice X.
    i was just informed that the Vice took ACCIA train everyday to and from work.
    Did he have a private car? Who paid?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    And President Trump deffinately has more grace than me because I would have put the obamas asses on a value jet back to Kenya. Not Air Force one to comifornia

I was thinking the same thing. A yellow cab for the "X" and a "uber" for the vice X.
    i was just informed that the Vice took ACCIA train everyday to and from work.
    Did he have a private car? Who paid?

Avana looked HOT!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Freedom of religion, including the freedom of not having a religon is part of the values of America IMO.

Having someone who does not believe in god swear on a bible wouldn't make any sense anyway. :dunno:

I hear ya Sylvian, you`re absolutely correct inthat, freedom of religion is a cornerstone of this Republic. That however, does not change our history and heritage of being a Christian nation. What that means is that we`re all free to worship as we see fit, or to not worship at all, if we so choose.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I hear ya Sylvian, you`re absolutely correct inthat, freedom of religion is a cornerstone of this Republic. That however, does not change our history and heritage of being a Christian nation. What that means is that we`re all free to worship as we see fit, or to not worship at all, if we so choose.

You can be an atheist and still respect the undeniable Christian heritage.
    Refusing to swear on a bible in a court of law is not denying that heritage.

I think they use a book with blank pages for if the person doesn't want to swear on a bible.
    It doesn't change that you can lie regardless of the book used or your faith anyway.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You can be an atheist and still respect the undeniable Christian heritage.
    Refusing to swear on a bible in a court of law is not denying that heritage.

I think they use a book with blank pages for if the person doesn't want to swear on a bible.
    It doesn't change that you can lie regardless of the book used or your faith anyway.
    i have no problem with respecting an atheist not using a bible. Like you said it means nothing to them anyways. Also I know atheist that are very moral and good people.
    i am not a practicing Christian but I am a Christian. I do know our country was founded on Christian platforms and that is good and I hope we always stay a Christian nation.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Today in this country I sensed a great disturbance, as if millions of liberals suddenly cried out in terror and their hopes were crushed for several years.

Top Bottom