• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    Went to the Gander Mountain in Fort Wayne and noticed an employee carrying out Wildlife Mounts.. Asked him what was going on.. Found out some new people at corporate find the mounts to be OFFENSIVE.. So they are getting rid of all wildlife mounts in all Gander Mountain outlets.. Just to put my 2 cents out there.. There are plenty of online stores out there like Cabelas and Bass Pro.. That respect and understand the reasons for Wildlife Mounts.. I won't be buying anymore products from Gander Mountain if I can help it.. I also plan on writing an E-mail to the corporate office which I know won't do much of anything.. But this one sided tolerance deal these types of people have needs some kind of response..

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Ya I heard this from my taxidermist. He supplied all the mounts for the Ganders in MI. We went to his shop and it was packed with all these clearance mounts. He explained corporate's decision and that all of these mounts had been in a Gander. We proceeded to take home a couple cool ones.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Went to the Gander Mountain in Fort Wayne and noticed an employee carrying out Wildlife Mounts.. Asked him what was going on.. Found out some new people at corporate find the mounts to be OFFENSIVE.. So they are getting rid of all wildlife mounts in all Gander Mountain outlets.. Just to put my 2 cents out there..

WTF? Sounds like the corporation is being run by businessmen who don't understand their own market or customer base.

I know Dick's crushed the last embers of Galyan's, but the chain was dead when it got yuppified and left its real outdoorsman's roots behind everywhere but the Plainfield store. I miss Galyan's.

Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    Exactly Right

WTF? Sounds like the corporation is being run by businessmen who don't understand their own market or customer base.

I know Dick's crushed the last embers of Galyan's, but the chain was dead when it got yuppified and left its real outdoorsman's roots behind everywhere but the Plainfield store. I miss Galyan's.

The article I read said that they felt it would be offensive to some of their customer's.. Try and make sense out of that garbage.. Also I am sure it will have the opposite effect.. It will offend their strongest customer base.. But the city slicker going in the buy his North Face jacket is def the minority.. So ya we should change our stores roots to fit his queasy stomach..

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Clearly they don't understand their own business. If you look at floor space usage in the typical Gander Mtn., it's about 1/3 hunting/fishing/guns, 1/3 camping, and 1/3 clothing & shoes. My guess is that 1/2 of their sales are hunting/fishing/guns.

Perhaps they are trying to change their image or something...

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I wonder how this will apply to the make over of the GM in Hobart. They are doing a major remodeling and an employee told me they are doing away with camping, fishing and concentrating on just shooting and reloading. The only clothes they will carry will be hunting/shooting related. And no, rumors of a gun range are false. Possibly changing the name?

kevhed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Chesterton
    I think I might be a little young for that song.. Also i am not sure exactly what PC stands for? Would you be willing to explain that to me?

PC is Politically Correct. There is way too much PC BS nowadays. People need to grow thicker skin and deal with it. If I like something and you don't, or I say something that offends you then we either agree to disagree or we don't communicate with each other. The same is true in reverse. We don't need to make it huge deal and walk on eggshells to make sure nobody is offended or gets their feelings hurt.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm not surprised. In fact if anything, I'm surprised they've lasted this long. Knowing how so many people feel about animal exploitation, wearing furs, and that sort of crap, removing these things is probably a natural "next step" in the PC evolution.

(I have no problem with them myself, just reflecting with disdain on another example of the "progress" of our country.)

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012

You think you miss Galyan's, I worked at the Plainfield store for five years. It was an absolute awesome place to work, not to mention all the great products we carried and the staff. People who knew what they were talking about when you asked them a question, not these boneheads at Dick's. The only information you get from them is what is on the side of the box or package.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wonder how this will apply to the make over of the GM in Hobart. They are doing a major remodeling and an employee told me they are doing away with camping, fishing and concentrating on just shooting and reloading. The only clothes they will carry will be hunting/shooting related. And no, rumors of a gun range are false. Possibly changing the name?

Interesting. I was talking to my brother this weekend and he said, he was told that the GM where he lives was doing away with the reloading stuff.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Odd, the GM in Lafayette has NO reloading supplies or tools of any kind! I did go in the store on the Grand er Opening, went one more time cause I needed a scope mount. Probably one of the last times, sure miss the Sportsman there...

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    The article I read said that they felt it would be offensive to some of their customer's.. Try and make sense out of that garbage.. Also I am sure it will have the opposite effect.. It will offend their strongest customer base.. But the city slicker going in the buy his North Face jacket is def the minority.. So ya we should change our stores roots to fit his queasy stomach..
    ]

I resent that remark. I grew up in downtown Indianapolis, then a little outside of the downtown area, so I'm as city slicker as they come. Those mounts don't bug me one bit, the prices on the other hand...:D

Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    ]

I resent that remark. I grew up in downtown Indianapolis, then a little outside of the downtown area, so I'm as city slicker as they come. Those mounts don't bug me one bit, the prices on the other hand...:D

Following the example set by Gander Mountain I should go back and edit my post to something a little less offensive :D On a more serious note I obviously was not including anyone who has an account on this web-site.. I was think more of the type like the picture of our president skeet shooting with his fingers wrapped around the top of the barrel..

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    The people that is offended by that should stay home and never leave. I don't hunt and my son has ask me several times about those animals hanging on the wall and told him that hunting is been big part of the human race ever since we were created (is part of life).

Top Bottom