• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Well I just left a pretty strongly worded message in their online customer comment section. Told them their actions were OFFENSIVE to the hunter/shooter community and they were being made famous on the internet forums. Doubt it will have any effect but it made me feel a bit better.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You think you miss Galyan's, I worked at the Plainfield store for five years. It was an absolute awesome place to work, not to mention all the great products we carried and the staff. People who knew what they were talking about when you asked them a question, not these boneheads at Dick's. The only information you get from them is what is on the side of the box or package.

You probably saw me more than once in that store! I bought my first Sig Sauer P226 there back in 1995.

I was also impressed by the hiring practices. Some of the sales staff were . . . impressive. I was impressed by their impressiveness not to mention impressivosity (for those who are not following my increasingly vague allusions, many of the female employess at Galyan's were impressively attractive, and yes, I'm a pig).

Sportsman's Warehouse in Lafayette was the best attempt at capturing the same feel. It was what Gander Mountain should be, but alas the Lafayette store went away and was eventually replaced by . . . Gander Mountain.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    I went to the GM in Lafayette this past weekend. I was actually impressed by the amount of floor space dedicated to shooting/hunting. I was not impressed at all with the staff. A young fellow in the shooting area asked if he could help me. I told him I was looking for 7.62x54r ammo. He stared at me like I was speaking Russian. Said that he didn't think they had any. About that time I found a couple thousand rounds on one of the lower shelves. He then made a bee line to the back of the store.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    This can't be a bad thing. Opens up market to companies that care about their customer base, local and big box.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I don't find hunting appealing, but those mounts were really just plain cool. They're a hunting store! What would you expect to find when you walk in? Freaking hippies.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    You think you miss Galyan's, I worked at the Plainfield store for five years. It was an absolute awesome place to work, not to mention all the great products we carried and the staff. People who knew what they were talking about when you asked them a question, not these boneheads at Dick's. The only information you get from them is what is on the side of the box or package.
    Look what happened to Abercrombie & Fitch. They used to be a high-end outfitter to outdoorsmen and adventurers. Now they just peddle overpriced crap clothing, and have apparently chosen homosexuals and pedophiles as their niche market.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    WTF? Sounds like the corporation is being run by businessmen who don't understand their own market or customer base.

I know Dick's crushed the last embers of Galyan's, but the chain was dead when it got yuppified and left its real outdoorsman's roots behind everywhere but the Plainfield store. I miss Galyan's.

It seems that the occurrence of a corporation whose folks at the top are woefully out of touch with the customer base is not a very rare event.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I make my firearms purchases at over half a dozen stores in the North East part of the State because I believe that each purchase helps a firearms seller stay in business.
    If Gander Mountain, or any of the other stores that I frequent, starts caving in to the Liberals I will scratch them off my list of places to do business.
    Dicks has already been eliminated as a source for my firearms and accessories purchases because of their kowtowing to the purely emotional ravings of the Left over the Sandy Hook disaster.
    If a business doesn't cater to ALL aspects of the Shooting Sports they will not get any money from me.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Look what happened to Abercrombie & Fitch. They used to be a high-end outfitter to outdoorsmen and adventurers. Now they just peddle overpriced crap clothing, and have apparently chosen homosexuals and pedophiles as their niche market.

Ever notice when the employee base weakens, so does the company?

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Offensive Wildlife Mounts at Gander Mountain
    Oh man got that totally wrong. I thought someone mounted animals mounting each other. That would be ironic.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    First, PC actually stands for perfectly castrated, because if your PC you have no balls.

Second, why Gander Mountain? All you ever see here is how bad it is. Buy from a local gun shop, keep the money in your community. Give it to someone you know, not some corporate office . Another plus, they know a lot more about what they're doing compared to Gander.

Third, I too miss the old Galyans. Plainfield was great.

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I miss Galyan's.

There is an Aldi now where the original store was, am I right? When they started bulldozing that place it was a kind of sad event to know the last remnants of Galyan's was gone.

It's getting harder and harder to find a local store that seems to care about the customer.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Life in the Past Lane

I used to go to GM all the time, even lived by the original in WI. Now I keep stopping by the one in Greenwood, can't figure out why? Nothing I like, hi prices, etc, etc,. I guess I am living in the past, continually hoping, and a truely SOF.

Stubborn Old Fart

Top Bottom