• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Clearly they don't understand their own business. If you look at floor space usage in the typical Gander Mtn., it's about 1/3 hunting/fishing/guns, 1/3 camping, and 1/3 clothing & shoes. My guess is that 1/2 of their sales are hunting/fishing/guns.

Perhaps they are trying to change their image or something...

But... which items are most profitable? Even at GM's prices, I'll bet they have a smaller markup on guns than on the North Face stuff. And, the clothing is at the front of the store, so you have to walk past it to get to the hunting/fishing/firearms stuff. To me, the layout says that North Face is where the profit is.

Aside from the occasional sale item, I only visit GM for browsing or when I absolutely need something at night or on Sunday.

Jeepers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Gander started losing their edge years ago. It used to be about getting the outdoorsman the right stuff. Now it's about sales and credit cards. We need a Cabelas in Indy!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That company was going down hill due to coorporate ass hats for a long time. You can tell by the policies in the stores over time. This is just the icing on the cake. So from this day on I vow to never again set foot into gander mountain unless its for a going out of business sale and even then I will probly pay other stores normal full retail.
    I should have done this before simply for their jumping on the evil nlack rifle bandwagon after sandy hook.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    WTF? Sounds like the corporation is being run by businessmen who don't understand their own market or customer base.

I know Dick's crushed the last embers of Galyan's, but the chain was dead when it got yuppified and left its real outdoorsman's roots behind everywhere but the Plainfield store. I miss Galyan's.

Exactly! How does a company as large as this get this type of people as directors and executives?

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Problem can be solved. To make it less offensive to those they THINK might be offended, just remove all the antlered mounts. They can tie pink ribbons to the ears of all the rest and put out PETA applications at the cash registers. Oh...now we're warm and fuzzy in a politically correct kind uh way. ;)

Last edited:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    But... which items are most profitable? Even at GM's prices, I'll bet they have a smaller markup on guns than on the North Face stuff. And, the clothing is at the front of the store, so you have to walk past it to get to the hunting/fishing/firearms stuff. To me, the layout says that North Face is where the profit is.

This^^^ In retail, location is everything and space is valuable. If it's at the front, it's selling AND it's high margin. High margin means they can sell fewer and make more :twocents: and THAT is what matters. I'm sure someone somewhere got paid a lot of $$ to find out what the average North Face buyer likes and doesn't like and the mounts were probably on that list of don't likes. So they go. I like the direction the store in Castleton is going as far as the gun area, though I still wish it was set up so you could look at the long guns without needing an associate to get one down for you. I had a hard time seeing the caliber on some of the rifles I wanted to look at.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm not a hunter, but that's disapointing. My boy liked hanging out in the room w/ all the animals. I'd go in there for no reason other than to kill time so he could see the animals and play in the tents. many times [pre panic] I'd leave w/ a brick or two of .22 or some targets or something. I guess they loose those un-planned purchases now since the store won't have the draw it once did for my 2 and 4 yr olds....

-rvb

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    The article I read said that they felt it would be offensive to some of their customer's.. Try and make sense out of that garbage.. Also I am sure it will have the opposite effect.. It will offend their strongest customer base.. But the city slicker going in the buy his North Face jacket is def the minority.. So ya we should change our stores roots to fit his queasy stomach..
    The yuppy shopping for north-face doesn't need to go past any guns or mounts anyway, they're all at the back of the store.:dunno:

Top Bottom