Only my police officer friend has the right to take your weapon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you want YOUR FRIEND to take a gun from a LTCH holder for "officer safety?"

• Total voters

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A good friend graduated from the police academy on Friday and is an Indiana State Police officer. We talked just a bit about his training and the weight he lost and then I went in for the real question: "If you pull someone over and see a Glock 22 on the seat, what would you do?" His answer: "I would ask for the gun for my safety, unload it and put it in my car." Of course we went through about 30-minutes of conversation, disagreeing with each other. Also, many other friends joined in and took his point of view. No matter what I said, he always went back to "officer safety."

Now, this was his question to me that really put me on my heels: "What would you want me to do if I'm not sure the person will not shoot me, regardless what piece of paper he has?" Now, this is a very close friend and when I pictured in my mind, him pulling me over or any other person I know from INGO, I would want him to treat us like law-abiding citizens who are legally in possession of a firearm. However, I must admit, if that was not the case, I would want my friend to do whatever he deemed necessary to avoid losing his life, while trying to ensure someone is not offended or believe their rights were being infringed upon.

I am sure I am in the minority here, but I could not say, "Yes, I want you to leave everyone alone after they present their LTCH." Bottom line, I would rather someone be pissed off and my friend get home safely to his family. To me, it's more than him choosing the job and, "If he doesn't want to do the right thing, he should have become a baker instead of a police offier."

I know this is not right, but it's how I feel. How would/do you feel about your friend who happens to be a police officer?

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I understand what you are saying. I have several buds who are in law enforcement and 99.999% of the people who he/they would pull over and present their pink piece of paper are NOT going to cause any trouble....

just sayin'

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    If he was that adamant about the issue and since he is a recent graduate of the ILEA then I'd surmise that this is what he was taught on or off the record or is an SOP or General Order of ISP. I at face value disagree that everyone holding an LTCH should be disarmed unless I would be in violation of a standing order of the department. Circumstances may vary accordingly :dunno:

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I have to say, even though it might be an unpopular stance, that if an officer wanted my firearm I would most certainly comply. I realize it is my right to have it and there wouldn't be any reason for him to feel he was in danger, but if it helps him keep his cool and the barrel of his sidearm out of my face, so be it.

I would then ask if he would allow me to hand over my gun in the holster or if he would prefer to disarm me himself. At that point, I have done everything I can to keep it secure.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think a nervous cop is more dangerous than an unloaded Glock on his front seat.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I understand what you are saying. I have several buds who are in law enforcement and 99.999% of the people who he/they would pull over and present their pink piece of paper are NOT going to cause any trouble....

just sayin'

Exactly, Josh! But, it was that .001% that made me come to the realization that, yeah, I want Officer Brown to back off when he's presented with a LTCH; however, I want my friend to do whatever he feels is necessary to ensure his safety. I know it's jacked up, because what I'm actually saying is, I am comfortable with my friend infringing upon the rights of 99.999% of the gun owners he pulls over. Ray Charles can see that's not right, but that's where I am. :dunno:

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    You whiners who yap about being treated like a criminal until proven innocent apparently think somebody can tell just be looking at you that you are not a criminal. So, LEO experts.....please tell us exactly how a citizen who has never laid eyes on you before is going to make the determination as to whether you are a complete psycho with a badge & gun who came downtown just to get drunk and run over someone, shakedown someone or a law abiding LEO.

Fixed it for you, it works both ways...

Post #33
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._and_in_downtown_read_this-4.html#post1668875

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    BINGO!

If he was that adamant about the issue and since he is a recent graduate of the ILEA then I'd surmise that this is what he was taught on or off the record or is an SOP or General Order of ISP. I at face value disagree that everyone holding an LTCH should be disarmed unless I would be in violation of a standing order of the department. Circumstances may vary accordingly :dunno:

I did ask him if he was taught that in the academy and he said that he was. He was also very eloquent with directing the conversation back to "officer safety," so I guess it was taught is some formal fashion.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    The last time I was pulled over, the young officer said, "Eh, just leave it alone. I figure if you were planning on shooting me you would have already."

This was even though my Glock 33 was in my glove compartment and I had to handle it several times to fish my registration out. He allowed me to dig for my registration and move the gun to the side repeatedly.

I don't think I have had an officer play with my gun in years. I think it is a very bad idea for officers to handle other people's firearms and attempt to unload the guns. Some people just do not maintain their firearms.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    "What would you want me to do if I'm not sure the person will not shoot me, regardless what piece of paper he has?"

1. Get a different job.
    2. Don't do any traffic stops.
    3. How does any of us know that a person isn't going to shoot us, regardless of what kind of uniform/badge they have?

It is impossible to prove a negative, but he is unlikely to be shot at by someone with this particular piece of paper.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    legal is legal.

I understand your friend being cautious and I want our State Troopers to perform their jobs safely and return home each night. I do not agree to him releaving a legal gun owner of his firearm. I would hate to think that if the police show up at my home they are going to remove my weapons until their business is finished. I have had concerns about being shot by an over zealous officer reacting to my having a firearm. How do I know he won't over react and shoot me regardless of what badge he happens to have pinned to his chest. As has been stated 99.99% of the legal gun owners are no threat and he is taking a precaution for that .01%. He has a better chance of being shot by someone that will not admit to having a firearm or has it hidden.

Just my :twocents:.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Exactly, Josh! But, it was that .001% that made me come to the realization that, yeah, I want Officer Brown to back off when he's presented with a LTCH; however, I want my friend to do whatever he feels is necessary to ensure his safety. I know it's jacked up, because what I'm actually saying is, I am comfortable with my friend infringing upon the rights of 99.999% of the gun owners he pulls over. Ray Charles can see that's not right, but that's where I am. :dunno:

Oh, I understand completly what you're saying bud.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Why not just ask the person to step out of the vehicle and conclude the rest of the stop outside of the car? I have a number of friends who are or have been LEOs. They have all been in states that don't allow much legal carry, so I never had this discussion with them. In those states, if you see a Glock on the seat it is most likely NOT legal, so I'd want them to take precautions for their safety.

I am all for officer safety, and I have no objection to being asked to step out of my car. I would completely understand and would prefer that to them handling my firearm.

Redneckbuckeye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Sheridan
    I agree why not just have them step out of the.vehicle leaving the firearm in the car.

The last time I was pulled over, the young officer said, "Eh, just leave it alone. I figure if you were planning on shooting me you would have already."

This was even though my Glock 33 was in my glove compartment and I had to handle it several times to fish my registration out. He allowed me to dig for my registration and move the gun to the side repeatedly.

I don't think I have had an officer play with my gun in years. I think it is a very bad idea for officers to handle other people's firearms and attempt to unload the guns. Some people just do not maintain their firearms.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I agree why not just have them step out of the.vehicle leaving the firearm in the car.

I presented a specific scenario and understand there can be thousands of others. The discussion is about an officer taking a gun away from a LTCH holder. My friend didn't say that he would have them step out of the car. He said he would take the gun. The question is, how would you feel if the officer were your friend who believed he needed to do that in order to protect himself, regardless if you know he was wrong in doing so?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I did ask him if he was taught that in the academy and he said that he was. He was also very eloquent with directing the conversation back to "officer safety," so I guess it was taught is some formal fashion.

Thats Called CYA for his Academy Instructors or ISP. I believe Officer Discretion is a Great Tool and should be utilized. If ISP feels that strongly about LTCH Disarmament then they should petition the Legislature to change the Law. They are circumventing the Law by Claiming an Officer Safety Exception. One day they will lose a pivotal court case that will set aside an Officer Safety Claim and that will be harmful to all officers. Law Enforcement at times is it's own Greatest Enemy :noway:

Top Bottom