Only my police officer friend has the right to take your weapon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you want YOUR FRIEND to take a gun from a LTCH holder for "officer safety?"

• Total voters

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I don't mind handing the weapon over to the officer, but ill be dammed if I let them unload it. I will always politely tell them I will unload it first, and explain why I wont hand a loaded weapon to anyone. Plus I have had 2 officers keep my ammo.....so anymore the mags stay wit me.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I've never had any issues thus far, anyways, why would you want to hand a loaded weapon to an officer who may not be familiar with it. That's more of a threat to his safety than the owner.

I won't be handing it over loaded or unloaded.

If they want it, they'll have to take it.

You should have quit resisting :D

Resisting, conducting... it all feels the same when the electricity starts flowing. ;)

hvacrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Jay County
    Post removed

So I speak the mind of an LEO about weapons and traffic stops. First I am told I am voilating RIGHTS in your opinion. But according to the courts I am not. Then I come on this site every dayand today I realize my post have been removed. So this really shows the true colors. What happend to freedom of speech did the mods forget about that? And yes it is a right to possess a firearm but in INDIANA it is a Privilage to carry it. I have never violated Rights but most of you have desk jobs and some a prior military and I respect that 100% but get back to reality.

And for the mod who removed my posts please explain why it was removed through PM.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    So I speak the mind of an LEO about weapons and traffic stops. First I am told I am voilating RIGHTS in your opinion. But according to the courts I am not. Then I come on this site every dayand today I realize my post have been removed. So this really shows the true colors. What happend to freedom of speech did the mods forget about that? And yes it is a right to possess a firearm but in INDIANA it is a Privilage to carry it. I have never violated Rights but most of you have desk jobs and some a prior military and I respect that 100% but get back to reality.

And for the mod who removed my posts please explain why it was removed through PM.
    PM the MODs with your question as I doubt it will be publicly answered, and rightly so.

As to the 1st Amendment on INGO? You are here at the pleasure of an individual. You have no right to speech on another's property. You must abide by TOS or get TOSsed.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    PM the MODs with your question as I doubt it will be publicly answered, and rightly so.

As to the 1st Amendment on INGO? You are here at the pleasure of an individual. You have no right to speech on another's property. You must abide by TOS or get TOSsed.

So, would this then be true?

As to the 2nd Amendment in BWWs? You are there at the pleasure of an individual. You have no right to carry on another's property. You must abide by the Manager's TOS or get TOSsed.
    :dunno:

(yes, this is a reference to another thread, sorry for any confusion)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Fenway shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble on INGO, and to petition the MODs for a redress of grievances.

Help, help! I'm being repressed...

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    So I speak the mind of an LEO about weapons and traffic stops. First I am told I am voilating RIGHTS in your opinion. But according to the courts I am not.

That is not his opinion. That is the opinion of the Indiana Supreme Court. Go read Washington v Indiana and Richardson v Indiana.

And yes it is a right to possess a firearm but in INDIANA it is a Privilage to carry it.

Wrong again. Have you ever actually read the Indiana Constitution? Article 1, Section 32 "The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'd say that was some great shooting considering the stress/pressure he was under at that given moment.

I agree, iirc all of his shots hit the vehicle. I posted that video because and officer on here stated that it would be impossible to grab a handgun without the officer knowing if he was standing at the window. That video shows that to be false, the LEO had no idea that the guy had a gun until it was in his face.

First I am told I am voilating RIGHTS in your opinion. But according to the courts I am not. .

Mr. Habib answered quite well about carrying a firearm. But you are wrong about the courts. You might want to read this link, under most circumstance taking a persons firearm at a stop is an unconstitutional seizure.
    http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/03041001jsk.pdf

Wrong again. Have you ever actually read the Indiana Constitution? Article 1, Section 32 "The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    +!

wlerner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    I guess my first question would be "Why is the gun sitting in the open on the seat?" That would arouse my suspicion as a police officer right off the bat. If I were the officer I would have to ask for the LTC and why the gun was out. Given a good reason I don't think it would be pursued any further. I do think that there are way too many crazies out there that carry illegally and have no right to own a firearm. Officer safety is a priority.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I guess my first question would be "Why is the gun sitting in the open on the seat?" That would arouse my suspicion as a police officer right off the bat. If I were the officer I would have to ask for the LTC and why the gun was out. Given a good reason I don't think it would be pursued any further. I do think that there are way too many crazies out there that carry illegally and have no right to own a firearm. Officer safety is a priority.

And what would you do then if he gave you the valid LTCH, stared at you with a polite smile & didn't say a word or move his hands (IOW, invoking his right against self-incrimination)? Exercising a right does not provide probable cause or even reasonable suspicion. If so there would be no purpose to the right.

It's not illegal to have a gun on a seat in a vehicle with a LTCH or at all if the gun is a long gun.

Officer safety is a priority over what? Everything? I certainly hope you honestly don't feel that way. There are MANY rights which could easily trampled by that one simple statement if everybody felt that way & the statement was taken at face value.

Oh, and :welcome: to :ingo:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    IMPD Mission Statement:
    We are dedicated to upholding the highest professional standards while serving the community in which we work and live. We are committed to the enforcement of laws to protect life and property, while also respecting individual rights, human dignity, and community values. We are committed to creating and maintaining active police/community partnerships and assisting citizens in identifying and solving problems to improve the quality of life in their neighborhoods.

Just throwing it out there for discussion...

Top Bottom