• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Lets discuss not what is the best first time handgun, not what is the cheapest handgun, etc... there are plenty of those threads. I want to talk about outstanding affordable handguns. When I say affordable, a max of $500.00 out the door - brand new. If you mention a handgun as an outstanding value for the money please explain why.

I hope this will be a departure from the usual recommend a cheap handgun threads...

The handgun with a total cost well under out the door of less than $500 that has impressed me the most are the RIA basic GI 1911A1's in .45 ACP.

You get a proven reliable platform in a proven caliber that is well made and regarded by most people as an excellent manufacture. I have to say that for an economically priced gun this has the best trigger and accuracy I have ever found on a handgun in this class. It does not come with a very durable or attractive finish and it does not come with anything more than the most basic sights, heck it doesn't even have any features to speak of. But its a all steel workhorse that is a pleasure to shoot. For my money, value, reliability, and general purpose the RIA 1911A1 is king. This is one of those guns you can buy without suffering any buyer regret later.

Another gun that has really grabed my attention is the FNP line of handguns. A well made (made in USA) handgun loaded with features. You can get a FNP-9 or FNP-40 for $429 plus tax, still the total well under $500.

For that price you get a DA/SA pistol with stainless steel slide, interchangeable backstrap, accessory rail, ambidextrous decocker, reversible magazine release button, loaded chamber indicator, three dot combat sights, and 3 magazines (currently from Bradis you get 5 magazines). These are well made, quality fit and finish. The trigger is smooth and mine breaks at 4.5lbs. It fits well and is more accurate than I am.

So who else wants to stand up for a particular model?

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm gonna go with the Glock 19. While it may push the $500 OTD limit, a savvy shopper should be able to find one NIB with 3 mags and all the Glock Standard stuff for right at or just $500.

The G19 is easily concealed (barely larger than the sub compact Glocks), has a grip that most hands can get all fingers on (no pinky hanging off), and has a long enough barrel and sight radius to be practically accurate past point blank and out to reasonable target and defense distances for a handgun.

15+1 capacity of 9mm provides plenty of firepower (notwithstanding the caliber debate).

Another plus for the Glock is the ability to upgrade with aftermarket parts that are widely available, as well as many choices and options for holsters.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Thank's for the info! I've loved the 1911 platform for a long, long time (first airsoft gun i ever had, bought years and years ago, was a 1911) and that is well within a range i will be able to afford. and the fact that it is a GI style is perfect. Don't get me wrong the Kimbers and other tactical style 1911's are awesome but i have always had a thing for the plain GI style.

i carry a G23 and an LCP but those were given to me for carrying/shared by my dad, so i love those but i didn't buy them.

maybe that will be the first handgun i buy for myself when i turn 21 in june :D

the1kidd03 said:
    RIA.....FN.......but majority of Glocks can be bought at around $499...sometime
    maybe less depending on circumstances...

that's not out the door though. when my dad bought the G23 it was $489-->$520 out the door

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Ruger sr series pistols

So what is it you like about this gun, what makes it an outstanding affordable weapon?

The point of the thread is to tout why. There are guns out there that come in below $300 like the Keltec's. I love my PF9 it goes bang every time, but it has no features to set it apart. Its not an outstanding handgun.

rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    I say the Smith and Weson M&P. Its pushing the $500 limit, but its well worth the investment. Comes with 2 mags and a case (the carry and range kit is an even better deal) and its a true ambidextrous pistol with the tumb safety & slide release on both sides. Trigger is very crisp. Very accurate & extreamly easy to field strip. And the mag release is reversible. Many compare it to a Glock but I think Glock should compare their pistols with the M&P. The M&P is just as durable as the glocks but I by far prefer the trigger and the grip. Glocks never felt right in my hand. The M&P's grip with their changeable backs are awesome the gun can be very comfortable for both me and my wife.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Gentlemen I really appreciate your votes for certain guns. But why do you think they are outstanding, what is it you think sets them apart. Please share your experience and knowledge.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The Kel-Tec is a fantastic gun for the money. It's lightweight, accurate, and comfortable to carry. I also like the fact that mags are cheap. I think it's hard to beat for the money.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have a couple.

I second the notion of the RIA 1911.

I also throw in the SP2022. Huge advocate of this lightweight, polymer Sig pistol. Available in 9mm, 40 or .357 Sig gives it a little bit for everyone. In 9mm, you have the 15+1 capacity with decocker, but also the tactical rail for flashlight or ect. It can be had OTD w/NS for right abound 450-460 depending on the store. Sig is a name and a quality to be argued with. It has no external safety to manipulate, which can appeal to an introductory shooter. It has a slim frame and can be held comfortably by most people, including those with smaller hands.

In a revolver, a used Ruger GP100 or SP101 in .357 can be had for under 500 in most places or private sale in VG/Exc conditions. These have a long expected life, and because it is .357, you have the option to shoot .38s which are an excellent learning caliber. Also, the revolver is simple and reliable. Pull the trigger it goes bang, if it doesn't go bang, squeeze again. Also very beneficial to a would be learner. They then also have the option to move up to the .357M round, or stay at the .38 or .38+p.

For a new revolver, I would have to suggest a Rossi. They are not quite a "American Top Name" but they make very good revolvers in my opinion. My Rossi has well over 10k rounds, and is still going very strong, with a tight lockup and smooth action. ETA: I also suggest a .357 if buying a Rossi for the same reasons as the Rugers.

I hope this is what you were looking for and if it was glad I could help!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    S&W J-Frame hammerless revolver. (442/642 specifically) Should come in under $400, new, OTD, just about anywhere. (how do they do that?)

.38spl is a sufficient load, 5rds is enough to buy some time & space, reliability from a jacket or purse, is, I believe, more consistent than a semi-auto. Manual of Arms is simpler for a non-trained shooter. Weight is a great. It's made by the first name in revolvers. It's not as brutal as the KT PF9? Raindrops on roses. Whiskers on kittens. Bright copper kettles. Warm woolen mittens. Girls in white dresses, with blue, satin sashes. Snowflakes that sit on my nose, and eyelashes.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    S&W J-Frame hammerless revolver. (442/642 specifically) Should come in under $400, new, OTD, just about anywhere. (how do they do that?)

.38spl is a sufficient load, 5rds is enough to buy some time & space, reliability from a jacket or purse, is, I believe, more consistent than a semi-auto. Manual of Arms is simpler for a non-trained shooter. Weight is a great. It's made by the first name in revolvers. It's not as brutal as the KT PF9? Raindrops on roses. Whiskers on kittens. Bright copper kettles. Warm woolen mittens. Girls in white dresses, with blue, satin sashes. Snowflakes that sit on my nose, and eyelashes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    The Kel-Tec is a fantastic gun for the money. It's lightweight, accurate, and comfortable to carry. I also like the fact that mags are cheap. I think it's hard to beat for the money.

I too go with the KelTec. i take the PF9 or P11 with me, wherever I go. They are simple, reliable and "get yourself out of troulble" type of guns. lightweight so you do not notice they are they and no frills and no safeties makes for a point and shoot model. They are my EDC pieces and also an LCP to back them up.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana

.38spl is a sufficient load, 5rds is enough to buy some time & space, reliability from a jacket or purse, is, I believe, more consistent than a semi-auto. Manual of Arms is simpler for a non-trained shooter. Weight is a great. (A) It's made by the first name in revolvers. It's not as brutal as the KT PF9? (B) Raindrops on roses. Whiskers on kittens. Bright copper kettles. Warm woolen mittens. Girls in white dresses, with blue, satin sashes. Snowflakes that sit on my nose, and eyelashes.

A. Mr. Smith nor Mr. Wesson were and still are not Samuel Colt.
    B. What?!:n00b:

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have three that come to mind. The first is the Kahr CW9 after 30 plus years of carrying I finally found a good shooting gun that is really easy to conceal. It simply disappears IWB and I can carry all day with no problems.
    The second is a Ruger Blawkhawk in .357 mag. It is by far the most accurate gun I shoot, and really fun at the range. I have seen Blawkhawks being sold for as low as $100 - of course that gun looked horrible, rust and scratches galore, but I bet it still shoots after it was cleaned.
    The final gun is a S&W M&P .45 I just purchased off a friend for $300. It is three years old and has about 500 rounds thru it, I know because I was with him when he bought it, and I was with him at the range when he shot it. He purchased a S&W M&P 9mm and sold the .45 to me. It is outstanding for the following reasons. It has different size backstraps to fit different shooters, it is well built and easy to disassemble, and its best feature is it has a reversable magazine release. Why in the hell the rest of the gun manufacturers don't adopt this system is beyond me. I can't tell you how nice it is to shoot a gun without the mag release touching my shooting finger. It is outstanding because it is truly a left hand shooting friendly gun.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I will chime in on the Ruger SR9c. It conceals well. Comes with a 10 round and 17 round magazine. Adjustable back strap to accomadate differing hands. Granted the mag loader is not great but it is included. Mine is very accurate, probably the most accurate semi-auto I own, except for the MK II. available in 9mm or 40 S&W. gives good options in caliber choice. Mine has a good trigger, not great but good.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Pocket Gun - Ruger LCP - Ridiculously small, but still reasonably powerful and usable.

Single Stack CC - Kahr CM9 - I think Kahr owns this form factor. Lightweight, thin, 9mm, decent trigger and ergonomics. Often imitated, yet to be duplicated.

Double Stack - Almost too many to mention here, but Glock and M&P get my vote. I like the simplicity of both designs and the weight advantage of polymer (for carry). Glock is the industry standard for reliability and durability imho, and also has a nice stock trigger. M&P has outstanding ergonomics. Both can be had for right at $500 otd, which is an incredible value.

Top Bottom