• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Does any one have any information on the Smith & Wesson 40VE Sigma? I have seem it online for $289. Thanks

I just picked my SW40VE up at the Fort Wayne Gun Show a few weeks back for $285 new and it seems to be a good gun. Shoots decent, but the trigger pull is what turns many people off. The trigger pull is about double what a Glock is, but the rest of the gun has many almost identical features as the Glock. I'm sure I'll get a response from Glock enthusiasts on that, but I find it to be true.

Bottom line: A good starter gun for the money.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    May not be what you are looking for, but Ruger's Blackhawk in 357/9mm and the 4 5/8" barrel gets my vote.

- normally about $500, but I had the opportunity to pick up a new one for <$460 just two weeks ago from one of the local dealers, so you should be able to stay under $500
    - Single-action trigger (clean break)
    - legal for dear hunting (inside of 125yds w/ good bullets, the .357 does just fine)
    - outstanding accuracy w/ 357 & 38spc loads
    - simple and reliable with very little to fail
    - grip just seems to fit most hands
    - can switch to cheaper 9mm ammo (although most people report loosing the superb revolver accuracy with 9mm ammo) if 38Special ammo is still running high just by changing out the cylinder
    - adjustable sights

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    May not be what you are looking for, but Ruger's Blackhawk in 357/9mm and the 4 5/8" barrel gets my vote.

- normally about $500, but I had the opportunity to pick up a new one for <$460 just two weeks ago from one of the local dealers, so you should be able to stay under $500
    - Single-action trigger (clean break)
    - legal for dear hunting (inside of 125yds w/ good bullets, the .357 does just fine)
    - outstanding accuracy w/ 357 & 38spc loads
    - simple and reliable with very little to fail
    - grip just seems to fit most hands
    - can switch to cheaper 9mm ammo (although most people report loosing the superb revolver accuracy with 9mm ammo) if 38Special ammo is still running high just by changing out the cylinder
    - adjustable sights

Good pick, I often don't think about revolvers.

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Ruger's SR line up. I know they have to much safety for some people but its a great durable gun for well under $500. Great trigger as well!

3shots

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Doans,Indiana
    Outstanding Affordable Handguns

Charter Arms Revolvers 38 special and 44 special , ruger P95 , SW 9/40ve,cz75 accuracy, and sig2022 . You can pay more you can't buy better.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    CZ-75 is the best handgun for the money under $500.

If you want a polymer gun the original XD models come in under the budget. Glocks can if you join the Glock club. The FN is a great sub 5 handgun also.

Where are you finding cz75's for under $500 out the door?

Please...let me know.

XD's and Bersa's....$.02

God bless
    -Shred

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have owned several SW #10 38spec over the years and feel for the dollar spent they are the finest quality, most dependable handgun you can buy. Even now, if you look hard, you can find a nice clean 4" one for under $300.00 maybe $325.00

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I will toss in my vote for the Ruger SR series. I own a SR9C and like the safety features. I even like the "chambered" indicator on it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The Bersa Thunder 9s, 40 and 45 are excellent guns that can be bought for around $350 to $450. I've had two 9s and a 45 and all of them were really nice guns. They are now with new shooters as their first guns.

Why do I think they are good guns?

Excellent reliability
    Solid warranty if needed
    Easy to shoot well
    Easy to disassemble for cleaning
    Strong community support (BersaChat.com)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Ruger SR series, smith and wesson sd or sigma series. Out the door under 400!!

I would consider all of the above exception of the sigma. Sigma is the worst handgun I have ever shot. I would take a Hi-Point over a Sigma. We are looking for outstanding affordable handguns under $500 not just something you can pick up for under $500.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    An old trade in K-frame smith does it for me.
    Solid guns, great performance, well under $500.

This man speaks the truth! I lust after my $350 Model 66 every time I open the safe. Just can't beat those sweet Smith triggers.

A close second to these would be a Ruger Security Six.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    There are a lot of really nice guns that can be had for under $500 used, but a good quality new gun for $500 is really geting hard to find. I would probably consider the S&W M&P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Im pretty happy with my first pistol and daily carry, a Regent R100 1911A1. Bought in late October, I now have right around 1000 rounds through the gun with no problems. I mainly shoot ball ammo, but have shot around 200 rounds of various hollow points to see if they would feed. I know the gun can shoot better than i can right now, maybe an inch or a little more at 7 yards. It has a forged slide, cast frame, roughly 6 pound trigger, stainless steel barrel, and price is right around $400

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Bersa Thunder 9s, 40 and 45 are excellent guns that can be bought for around $350 to $450. I've had two 9s and a 45 and all of them were really nice guns. They are now with new shooters as their first guns.

Why do I think they are good guns?

Excellent reliability
    Solid warranty if needed
    Easy to shoot well
    Easy to disassemble for cleaning
    Strong community support (BersaChat.com)

Plus that warranty is a lifetime warranty.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What? No Hi Points?

I just sent in a C9 that needs a new slide and frame. Yes they are cheap but the no questions asked repair is not to be trifled with and they go bang when you pull the trigger.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Im pretty happy with my first pistol and daily carry, a Regent R100 1911A1. Bought in late October, I now have right around 1000 rounds through the gun with no problems. I mainly shoot ball ammo, but have shot around 200 rounds of various hollow points to see if they would feed. I know the gun can shoot better than i can right now, maybe an inch or a little more at 7 yards. It has a forged slide, cast frame, roughly 6 pound trigger, stainless steel barrel, and price is right around $400

1000 rounds since October? Congrats to you for taking that thing out and actually shooting it! Makes my heart glad!

eblevins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    phoenix 22 less than $200.00

The Phoenix 22 is a quality gun not expensive gun. They function very well. The only down side I see with is too many safety's. It is easy to get confused if you use both of them. Choose which one is most natural to use and stick to it.

Top Bottom