• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    I love my PF9 it goes bang every time, but it has no features to set it apart. Its not an outstanding handgun.

...sounds like the most outstanding feature anyone could ever want :dunno:, not to mention the affection you express. I don't know about you but something has to be pretty special in order for me to love it :naughty: ........................yeah, I own one also :D.

I also like the Ruger95 for the price range specified

Feature #1. It also goes "bang" everytime. I bought mine used from a relative and still going strong after owning it for the last 4 or 5 years.

Feature #2. These can be bought for around the $350ish to $450 range new with double stack 15+1 mag x2.

Feature #3. Mine is the de-cock model DA/SA so.. "one in the pipe" cocked or not, i prefer not, is nice.

Feature #4. there is a rail, altough i do not use the rail I would like to get a light for it eventually. This is my "nightstand" piece and would like to add this accessory in the future.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely on the Ruger P95, except you're way off on the price; PSS has them out the door, brand new, with two 15 rd mags for $325. They're tough, reliable, and shoot the inexpensive 9mm caliber. The polymer frame keeps the weight to a manageable level for daily carry and the rail allows adding a light or laser, still keeping the cost well under $500.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the correction on the price MadBomber, you just made my point more appealing. :yesway:

airmotive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Count me in with the Bersa crowd. Under $300. Never a single failure to go bang in nearly 10 years. Easy to clean. Easy to carry.

Mags a little expensive. A magazine should never cost 20% of a new gun.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Lets discuss not what is the best first time handgun, not what is the cheapest handgun, etc... there are plenty of those threads. I want to talk about outstanding affordable handguns. When I say affordable, a max of $500.00 out the door - brand new. If you mention a handgun as an outstanding value for the money please explain why.

I hope this will be a departure from the usual recommend a cheap handgun threads...

The handgun with a total cost well under out the door of less than $500 that has impressed me the most are the RIA basic GI 1911A1's in .45 ACP.

You get a proven reliable platform in a proven caliber that is well made and regarded by most people as an excellent manufacture. I have to say that for an economically priced gun this has the best trigger and accuracy I have ever found on a handgun in this class. It does not come with a very durable or attractive finish and it does not come with anything more than the most basic sights, heck it doesn't even have any features to speak of. But its a all steel workhorse that is a pleasure to shoot. For my money, value, reliability, and general purpose the RIA 1911A1 is king. This is one of those guns you can buy without suffering any buyer regret later.

Another gun that has really grabed my attention is the FNP line of handguns. A well made (made in USA) handgun loaded with features. You can get a FNP-9 or FNP-40 for $429 plus tax, still the total well under $500.

For that price you get a DA/SA pistol with stainless steel slide, interchangeable backstrap, accessory rail, ambidextrous decocker, reversible magazine release button, loaded chamber indicator, three dot combat sights, and 3 magazines (currently from Bradis you get 5 magazines). These are well made, quality fit and finish. The trigger is smooth and mine breaks at 4.5lbs. It fits well and is more accurate than I am.

So who else wants to stand up for a particular model?

Then that would be my MP Pro, 9mm....paid $490 out the door. It's an excellent gun, and is what I carry when I carry.

Another one I have been eyeballing is the S&W 637 snubbie.....easy to carry, affordable.....and just darn cool looking.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Count me in with the Bersa crowd. Under $300. Never a single failure to go bang in nearly 10 years. Easy to clean. Easy to carry.

Mags a little expensive. A magazine should never cost 20% of a new gun.

Not one in 10 years? Now that's understandably hard to believe. Promag offers a 17rd for the bersa 9mms at about half price of the factory stuff. No clue if it's reliable or not.

Reel Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Ruger SR 40

For my two cents, have to agree with the Ruger SR. I bought the 40 got it for well under $500 and it is one of the best shooting handguns out of the box I ever purchased.
    The reason I say that (and don’t why don’t know) when I buy a new gun I take it out and shoot it at 100 yards. Just to see it the bullets gets there, the Ruger did a good job. I am sure it would work at 12 feet also. Good thread.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    have to agree with everyone if you can find a M&P for under 500, which is possible, get one(I enjoy the compact to the full size) easier to carry and all.
    If you are looking for something a little cheaper look for a S&W SD9 or SD40.
    Cheaper than the m&ps but almost the same:D

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    I do own a sigma 40 its ok for first handgun. But in your price bracket their are better choices. If your nracket was lower maybe then consider it but the trigger is tough so one positive thing is your finger eould be ready for lots of plinking before getting tired lol

victor 1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    The region
    Hey! Not enough is being said about the Taurus 24/7millenium .45! It only holds 11 rounds but they sell for 350 only. Reliable as hell and accurate. If you're looking for compact personal defense with a big punch.......enough said. I don't even own one, but I have friends with them and I am always considering it. I just prefer full size.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    have to agree with everyone if you can find a M&P for under 500, which is possible, get one(I enjoy the compact to the full size) easier to carry and all.
    If you are looking for something a little cheaper look for a S&W SD9 or SD40.
    Cheaper than the m&ps but almost the same:D

The M&P is on my next to get list. If I find it for under $500 ;)

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    #1 choice: G19 9mm.
    #2 Back up: S&W 442 38 spec.
    Honorable mention: Ruger P95 9mm, RIA 45 Acp, Sigma 9/40, S&W M10 38 Spec 4inbbl
    Have shot and owned all above at one time or another. Never real issues if kept clean, slight lubed, and not thrown around or dropped. #1 and #2 are current everyday carry. Prices since Obama have gone up and stayed up, demand has dropped though.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    All I can share with you is the gun that I have that is the closet fit to what you are looking for. That is my S&W M&P 9c. I do think you can find it now for under $500.

Why? Several reason of which I'm not sure which is best but it goes like this: This gun fits my hand well and if it didn't there are 3 different back of the handle grips to change out for best fit. Next, your hand will ride high behind the slide for better control. Next, the trigger is nice when you bring it home new but the more rounds you put through it the better it feels. Next, I love the way the trigger curves around my finger. Next, the gun is just the right size for concealing with the right holster. Next, its works every time. Lastly, I love the way this gun looks.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    One gun that comes to mind to me( if already mentioned I apologize, I didnt read every page) is the Smith&Wesson SW99 the smith and Walther hybrid. I have heard of people accquiring these used as low as $250.00-350.00. The gun is ambidextrous mag release, adjustable back straps, de-cocker. Nice trigger, tactical rails. The literally feels like it melts and molds to your hand. :draw:

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Any Bersa/Firestorm pistol.
    Very resonably priced, reliable, accurate and
    great customer service, if you would ever need
    it.
    Chances are you will never need it.

growl18

Plinker