• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Relocate that owl to my 'hood... There are too many cats running around. And way too much cat crap in my yard as a result!

-J-

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Owls and crows are mortal enemies. I use an owl decoy when calling crows. Maybe put out some crow decoys, it might keep owl away. Just a suggestion.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Hey, I'm just making a little noise to make this area a little less attractive, that's all. Tree huggers can get over it.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Get more small dogs to feet the owl. Great horned owls are one of the most awesome birds. They're like the grim reaper of the forest as they can swoop down almost silently. They're like the raptor ghost of death!

But all kidding aside. Make sure the dogs are properly secured to the ground. At least it'll slow down the great bird.

No?

They don't like loud noises. So don't "purposefully harass" the bird but have some fun with fireworks in the late evening or a few shotgun blasts may encourage the bird to relocate.

I didn't say this, but if I REALLY loved my little dog ... I'd take the bird out if the above didn't work. But I wouldn't post my report here or anywhere (or even tell a pal).

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Keep the dogs in at night and listen to the owls courting. It's getting to be that time of the year. There's very little that's as awesome as seeing a couple of great horned owls in your backyard while they're calling to each other.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Don't get me wrong. I like the owls; I've had them in my trees and on my antennas. I would be honored if one took up residence here. That would be awesome, but there's just this schnauzer that has prior claim. I'll protect her as necessary, as long as she needs it. Not that I'll damage an owl, just, you know communicate to them that this is not their place right now. Noise. It's harmless. I like foxes, too, and plan to make a fox den so they can have a haven. I plan to set it up so I can reject raccoons. With noise, once again. Thinkin some Hendrix might run them off. We'll see.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Funny you should post this thread. Just in the last 2 nights, a GHO has moved in to our neighborhood (which is actually mostly 'commercial' property on the N. side of the road, and residential on the south). Last night, it was sitting in a nearby tree, hooting for a mate (I guess) for about 3-4 hours. I have no doubt, a few cats, etc that belong to those folks across the street... will come up missing in the next week or so.

I held my little Toy Poodle in my arms, while I went out near the fence..... to see if I could tell which tree it was in. Well, my very little dog thinks he's a BIG dog, as well as acting like a guard dog..... when he knows something is amiss. You should have heard 'Samson' growling every time that owl started hooting again.

I warned my wife about letting Sam out n the 'fenced-in' back yard, alone. Told her to watch him closely, as that owl would quickly make breakfast out of him.

Probably the best thing to do...... is have your parents get one of the motion-sensing porch flood lights, mount it where the dog normally "goes" and point it up toward any trees that are close. May well keep the raptor at bay, while the dog is out. They should not let him 'go' unaccompanied, after dark.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Don't get me wrong. I like the owls; I've had them in my trees and on my antennas. I would be honored if one took up residence here. That would be awesome, but there's just this schnauzer that has prior claim. I'll protect her as necessary, as long as she needs it. Not that I'll damage an owl, just, you know communicate to them that this is not their place right now. Noise. It's harmless. I like foxes, too, and plan to make a fox den so they can have a haven. I plan to set it up so I can reject raccoons. With noise, once again. Thinkin some Hendrix might run them off. We'll see.

Justin Bieber would work better than Hendrix.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    We always go out with the dogs..... our largest is 11 lbs. smallest is 2.5 lbs.

I have seen a hawk of some kind circling the yard during the day when the dogs are out. :twocents:

At night I do hear owls hooting, I cannot see them but I know they are close.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Justin Bieber would work better than Hendrix.

He's trying to run it off, Not cause Spontaneous Owl Combustion.
    Exploding_Smiley.gif

Top Bottom