• ...and so much more!
  • jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Yes, it does matter.

When youd like to educate yourself instead of shooting down things you dont know anything about, post up! Congrats on the purchase!

Hmmm. I've been shooting, teaching classes, and studying ballistics ever since I first started carrying a handgun nearly four decades ago--I'm going to have to side with JGulley on this one. The advantage, if there is any, to using 124 grain rather than 115 grain bullets is minimal--certainly not enough of a difference to warrant the above comment. :twocents:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Hmmm. I've been shooting, teaching classes, and studying ballistics ever since I first started carrying a handgun nearly four decades ago--I'm going to have to side with JGulley on this one. The advantage, if there is any, to using 124 grain rather than 115 grain bullets is minimal--certainly not enough of a difference to warrant the above comment. :twocents:

Ammunition choices do make a difference; for example, in the 1986 FBI Miami shootout, the poor terminal performance of the 9mm, 115 gr. bullet (Winchester silvertip) contributed greatly to the deaths of SAs Dove and Grogan, and the wounding of five other SAs.

From the work of Dr. Gary K. Roberts, Letterman Army Institute of Research (LAIR), Stanford Medical Center, San Jose, CA:

"Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers—pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of pistol you choose, and best suits you likely engagement scenarios."

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

.40 S&W:
    Barnes XPB 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
    Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
    Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (RA40B/Q4355/S40SWPDB1)

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Source: Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums first two posts by Dr. Roberts.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Ammunition choices do make a difference; for example, in the 1986 FBI Miami shootout, the poor terminal performance of the 9mm, 115 gr. bullet (Winchester silvertip) contributed greatly to the deaths of SAs Dove and Grogan, and the wounding of five other SAs.

From the work of Dr. Gary K. Roberts, Letterman Army Institute of Research (LAIR), Stanford Medical Center, San Jose, CA:

"Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers—pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of pistol you choose, and best suits you likely engagement scenarios."

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
    Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

.40 S&W:
    Barnes XPB 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
    Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
    Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (RA40B/Q4355/S40SWPDB1)

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Source: Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums first two posts by Dr. Roberts.

What an awesome list, but I'm not sure what your trying to say. The debate is 115g vs 124g and both are on the list, as well as 127g, 137g and 147g. It looks like it comes down to the cartridge as an overall package and not the bullet gain itself.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    What an awesome list, but I'm not sure what your trying to say. The debate is 115g vs 124g and both are on the list, as well as 127g, 137g and 147g. It looks like it comes down to the cartridge as an overall package and not the bullet gain itself.

Exactly! However, the bullet, itself, is the major factor, with the assumption of proper velocity, usually around 1,000 fps. More velocity is a detriment, not an advantage, in most instances.

The only 115 gr. bullet on the list is the Barnes all copper bullet--very different from a jacketed lead bullet.

In general, among bullets/rounds that pass protocols, the heavier bullets tend to perform better, especially against intermediate barriers.

All of the rounds on the list meet/exceed the seven FBI parameters for terminal ballistic performance, with adequate penetration (12" minimum) being the most important.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Hey congrats on your 1st handgun purchase- seriously that is awesome and I still remember mine in 1997. I have only been a Glock owner for about a year and now I have 2. I really like them for what they are intended to do. That 26 is a great shooter. It is amazing how much better your get with a gun with just a few hundred rounds down range. The ballistic discussion is great too, but accuracy is first right?

Rip007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Congrats on your G26. I have one also. Very nice handgun. Your on the right track, A saftey class, and plenty of range time!

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Yes, it does matter.

When youd like to educate yourself instead of shooting down things you dont know anything about, post up! Congrats on the purchase!

I just don't see why it matters because it wouldn't effect you at all. It's my choice. Right now I'm more concerned about increasing my shooting skills then the bullet it's self. If I was worried about that I would have purchased a 40. or 45. Let's agree to disagree. Thanks for the congrats.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Hey congrats on your 1st handgun purchase- seriously that is awesome and I still remember mine in 1997. I have only been a Glock owner for about a year and now I have 2. I really like them for what they are intended to do. That 26 is a great shooter. It is amazing how much better your get with a gun with just a few hundred rounds down range. The ballistic discussion is great too, but accuracy is first right?

Yes, I believe the ballistics test results and a more powerful round is very important. Though none of that matters if your not accurate. I want to be more proficient before I start worrying about that stuff.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I think, from what I've read and been taught, that shot placement is more important in a gunfight than what size bullet does the hitting. After all, a .22 can kill just like a .44mag, if used properly. So, yeah, learn to shoot what you've got well and get comfortable with it before you start experimenting.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I think, from what I've read and been taught, that shot placement is more important in a gunfight than what size bullet does the hitting. After all, a .22 can kill just like a .44mag, if used properly. So, yeah, learn to shoot what you've got well and get comfortable with it before you start experimenting.

Thanks man, I totally agree!

et_aruba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    NWI
    G26 is a great weapon. Excellent choice! Upgrade to Trijicon night sights when you have extra cash. I put Trijicon night sights on my G27, and thought it was the best money spent.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    By all means congrats and welcome to the unofficial Glock Club here at Ingo.

Once you break it in and consistantly hold your group, you can try different bullet weights, remember start close, hold and group well and then set the target back a few feet/yards. Once you group well at that distance. move it back some more and repeat the process. A lifetime insurance policy, this new friend of your should be well worn in years to come when its time to pass it on, while I carry its twin in .40, I would not feel undergunned with one in 9.mm.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Congrats. Very nice choice. Yes, I may be biased. But, they are good, functional, and simple. I have a 26 (newest addition), 19 and my original 17. I shoot all the same. The 17 even has trigger work done on it as well as night sights. They are great.

I agree with the others about shooting and classes. Get the training, then practice what you learned. Look around at all the possible sights and even shoot (or at least take a sight picture) of guns with those sights until you find the ones YOU like. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

BTW, AA makes a 22LR conversion kit for the Glock so you can practice with cheaper ammo.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    If its a Gen 4 did you get both rod springs? I got both with my 19. You can feel a difference. Some people are having trouble with one or the other.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Congrats! That is the 2nd best gun available (G19 being 1st, in many folks opinion).

That is a good combe, btw. G19 on your hip, G26 on your ankle & a G17+2 spare mag (will work with either 19 or 26).

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Congrats! That is the 2nd best gun available (G19 being 1st, in many folks opinion).

That is a good combe, btw. G19 on your hip, G26 on your ankle & a G17+2 spare mag (will work with either 19 or 26).

You carry your 26 on your ankle? I would think that would be a little big. To each his own I guess. Maybe I'll give it a try...

Top Bottom