• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Good news here from the local branch. I'm thinking of moving my business account anyway so I stopped in a northside Indianapolis branch to talk to the manager. This branch had 2 sets of doors, but no detectors. They did have a sign asking you to remove hats, sunglasses, etc.

Amongst account questions, I asked her directly about the detectors and about bank policy on firearms. She said that some branches have metal detectors but they do NOT have a policy against firearms. She said she has some customers open-carry (well actually her term was "you can see it sticking out of their holster"). It was fairly clear she wasn't a gun owner and did express some concern about the open carry "gun being grabbed" by some one, but she moved quickly on from that to say the metal detectors are at some branches to deter some who need to be deterred.

There was no hesitation or sign of attempted guesswork on her part. It seemed clear to me she knew the bank policy was to follow the law.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    In that case your keys, coins, and cell phone would set it off.

Yeah, I think if stopped somewhere by a metal detector (assuming it's legal to carry), and they ask me what I have, the answer is just "nothing illegal". I don't need to tell them anything, I just want to know what their policy was.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I would leave my bank (well credit union) if they had metal detectors. First off, I will never enter a bank/credit union without a gun. Second, despite that I'm not going to remove everything that would set it off (keys, boots, glasses, pocket knife, belt buckle, and so forth.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    "I have an artificial hip."
    "I have a knee replacement."
    or
    "I want to withdraw all my money and move it to a different bank."

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Get a Texas sized belt buckle to clip on when you enter, along with a set of Mr. T necklaces to hang around your neck when entering the bank. I pity the fool who asks you if you have steel toe boots.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I was in my credit union this morning. No metal detectors. I had my EDC and my new to carry ankle back-up.

Don't think I have ever been in a bank and not armed. Have been to a couple that had the no hoodies and sunglasses. I didn't have a problem with showing my face and they didn't have a problem with dealing with me.

I had to wire funds for a house purchase today, which would not fly at the drive thru.

Heck, I bought a gun from another INGO guy in the parking lot of the same credit union. Took it out, inspected it and chatted for some time. Nobody ran out and said anything.

Maybe I am with a good one?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lottsa good wording in this thread. "Stainless steel 'n my hip." "Nothing illegal here." "I have steel toes."
    :yesway: I like it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm a PNC customer, albeit in Hamilton Co., but I have never seen such a thing in any branch up here. Anyone know if that place has a history of being robbed?
    I'm also in the "I cant say I blame them boat. Lots of bad happening at banks nowadays. If they asked me why I set it off, I would simply say that I'm legally carrying...is that a problem? If they prohibited entry, I would go to the drive thru and close my account.

The ironic thing about this is, PNC policy is that the account holder must first discuss with the branch manager why they want to close the account. At least that was the case when I closed a business account with them. I sat in the manager's office for 15 minutes why she tried to convince me to keep it open.

I really enjoyed that conversation, because I didn't hold back when voicing my displeasure over PNC's business practices.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Wasn't there a story of an INGOer being trapped by the auto-shut doors at a Bank?
    Trapped as is, both the enter AND exit doors locked them in?

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    I'm a PNC customer, albeit in Hamilton Co., but I have never seen such a thing in any branch up here. Anyone know if that place has a history of being robbed?
    I'm also in the "I cant say I blame them boat. Lots of bad happening at banks nowadays. If they asked me why I set it off, I would simply say that I'm legally carrying...is that a problem? If they prohibited entry, I would go to the drive thru and close my account.
    Where banks put detectors is based on demographics. What the criteria is I dont know. I would assume that they are put in rougher areas of town. I work on banks and the sad part is, you have to leave your heater in your car in the worst areas of the city. The good news is while you are inside you are probably safer as long as they dont allow anybody through that might have a gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Wasn't there a story of an INGOer being trapped by the auto-shut doors at a Bank?
    Trapped as is, both the enter AND exit doors locked them in?

You might be talking about me. It took me about 3 seconds to pull out my cell phone and threaten to level a claim of criminal confinement. They scurried to let me in gun and all. It looks like they only learned to leave the outer doors open to counter this.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    There is a metal detector and pass through door system at our closest branch to home. Yeah, they are a bit of a pain when they do the whole one person at a time thing. Didn't have an issue when taking my kids through though. So maybe some exceptions. Metal detectors were turned off. Manager or security guard posted in front of the doors on the inside.

I've OC'd there many times. I get a polite nod from the security guys, and I've had good conversations with the tellers.

Top Bottom