• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Rating - 98.7%
    76   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm fine with putting the tellers behind bullet proof glass. I'm not fine with being disarmed at a bank that is likely in a less than stellar neighborhood. I had to use both the PNC and Fifth Third by Meridian and 38th a few times out of necessity and felt like a sitting duck both times, not to mention leaving my gun in the car where it could be easily stolen.

I try to plan my life a little more carefully to avoid having to go either place now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm fine with putting the tellers behind bullet proof glass. I'm not fine with being disarmed at a bank that is likely in a less than stellar neighborhood. I had to use both the PNC and Fifth Third by Meridian and 38th a few times out of necessity and felt like a sitting duck both times, not to mention leaving my gun in the car where it could be easily stolen.

I try to plan my life a little more carefully to avoid having to go either place now.

Living close the PNC at 38th & Georgetown i convenient for the ATM machines. There have been some strong arm robbery's here from the local thuglets. I always OC when using these fun ticket machines. Never send the spouse down there.
    I really really hate a thief.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Putting a metal detector in an entrance of a public building like a bank is a really stupid and desperate attempt to "feel safe". It isn't going to stop banks from being robbed. I would change banks and make sure they understand why.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    A friend of mine was caught in this man-trap last night (same location). After standing there like an idiot for a minute or so, they buzzed him in - 9mm and all. I guess the banks want to protect the tellers; however, the customers are on their own getting back to their cars with cash in hand.
    I would just change banks.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    The Huntington Bank on Washington St. near Ritter has the double door system. Once inside, you can not get out unless buzzed by a human. I rarely go there anymore.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Putting a metal detector in an entrance of a public building like a bank is a really stupid and desperate attempt to "feel safe". It isn't going to stop banks from being robbed. I would change banks and make sure they understand why.

I disagree. We often say that "no gun" zones are pointless because they don't stop anyone from concealing, and that's true. A metal detector at least serves as a deterrent and makes people pay attention to who is walking in. If they do anything other than buzz you in, I wouldn't go either. But if they just peacefully open the door and say hello to me, I don't have a problem with that.

I have a BIG problem with the outside door also locking. I'd throw a hissy fit and consider pressing charges if someone did that to me.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Put the tellers behind glass and everybody else is on their own. I won't be searched just because the managers are frightened by my appearance or what I "might" have in my pockets. It's the same reason I haven't flown commercial air since the TSA was put into the airports. This is America. I didn't swear an Oath to the Constitution so every American would have to put up with "enhanced security" and "remove your shoes" and "hands over your head" and blue rubber gloves and fake badges.

Last edited:

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I don't understand why everyone leaves their firearms in the car? I've oc'ed in banks several times and have never even been questioned about it. I didn't read anywhere that banks were searching people for firearms. I

I do have an issue with a door locking on both sides. How is this even passing code? It's a life safety issue isn't it? Why isn't there panic hardware on the doors for exit or do these doors have some type of magnetic release or something?

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I don't understand why everyone leaves their firearms in the car? I've oc'ed in banks several times and have never even been questioned about it. I didn't read anywhere that banks were searching people for firearms. I

I do have an issue with a door locking on both sides. How is this even passing code? It's a life safety issue isn't it? Why isn't there panic hardware on the doors for exit or do these doors have some type of magnetic release or something?

Don't know for sure but the doors could have an out to inside locking mechanism but work fine when pushed from the in to outside ????

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    i cant stand those mantraps my bank once told me i would need to remove my steel toe boots in order to come in i then proceeded to the drive through and withdrew everything and moved it to a new bank.

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy

by law there has to be a release button to exit through. i have to set these things up in access control systems from time to time and always advise places against them.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    Don't know for sure but the doors could have an out to inside locking mechanism but work fine when pushed from the in to outside ????

That is exactly what panic hardware is.

The Huntington Bank on Washington St. near Ritter has the double door system. Once inside, you can not get out unless buzzed by a human. I rarely go there anymore.

If they are locked in between 2 sets of doors, which is how I read it, they are unable to exit unless being buzzed out? It's a life safety issue. A big NO GO.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A lot of people are quick to say, just withdrawal your money and switch banks. I don't think it's really that simple.

Many banks don't have a no gun policy, but you will occasionally finds bank branches with the double door metal detectors. They are either installed because the branch is in a bad neighborhood or has been robbed before.

I would love to do business with an outspoken pro-2A bank which refuses unequivocally to install metal detectors, but I don't think that bank exists. Basically the best you'll find is a bank that's neutral with some variation between branches.

With my bank, I've open carried into one location with no issue, but I've seen the double doors at another. To say I should just find another bank based purely on principle isn't really realistic. I rarely go inside the bank anymore, but if I have to, I just go to a branch I know is metal detector free.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I am a little late on this one. I have both personal and business accounts at PNC Bank. I use their branches all over town. Whenever someone pays me with a check, I run to the nearest PNC bank branch and deposit the check. Many of the branches in Indy's hot zones have the security air lock. I recently discovered the newly installed security doors at the Mars Hill location. I went in and took my hat off (per the sign) and waited to get buzzed through. This is what I usually do but I got the loud alarm instead and a recorded voice that said place all metal on the shelf. I just stood there for about 30 seconds and got the green light. Inside the door I met the security guard that I have said hello to every week for the last two years. I said "That's new". He nodded and said "yep". Me and my concealed Glock 19 went to the teller to do my banking.

I suspect that these doors get installed with the metal detector working but that the bank manager will decide to disable it after trying it for a while. I was going to insist that they let me in but didn't have to. Even the teller said they were a real pain in the butt, but that her Dad felt better about her working in the bank with those doors.

Demographics seems to determine where the doors get installed. Not all PNC banks have them (yet).

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I read that thieves are targeting vehicles with NRA etc. stickers hoping to find a gun left in the car. I can't stand leaving anything in the car.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I read that thieves are targeting vehicles with NRA etc. stickers hoping to find a gun left in the car. I can't stand leaving anything in the car.

Yep. I wont put anything gun related on my car. I dont want the target that screams "HEY LOOK AT ME!" . Its just as bad as the little ring your GPS leaves behind when you remove the suction cup mount from your windshield. They assume you stuffed it in the center console, etc and go after it.

Top Bottom