• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It is also noteworthy that the supposed offense was recording the officer, who was not recorded until after he instigated the incident.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    In Indiana, do we have to present ID if we've not done anything against the law?

In Indiana, you are required to show ID or identify yourself to an officer who has stopped you for an infraction or ordinance violation. The bare minimum standard for such a stop is "reasonable suspicion".

However, if the stop is for a criminal matter or if there is no reasonable suspicion of an infraction or ordinance violation, I know of nothing requiring you to show ID. In fact, there are several appellate decisions which say you have no such obligation.

Best,

Joe

ETA: Kirk Freeman strikes while I'm typing again.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh come on. Give the cop a break. After all, he has the most deadly job in the call America.

Well, not really. That would be fishermen.

Second deadliest?

Nope. Farmers, loggers and garbagemen have him beat too.

We'll go with rock solid at the bottom of the top ten deadliest.

Cut him some slack.

Even the military has a lower mortality rate averaging 77 out of every 100,000 troops. But even then military figure includes combat action, accidents, murders, suicides, and illness (stats that aren't all kept for the other occupations). So actually, if used in a pure comparison the ration is significantly lower.

So pull up a chair at the big boy table fishermen and loggers, your sacrifices equal, if not surpass that of the guys and gals that put their butts on the line all over the world.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Even the military has a lower mortality rate averaging 77 out of every 100,000 troops. But even then military figure includes combat action, accidents, murders, suicides, and illness (stats that aren't all kept for the other occupations). So actually, if used in a pure comparison the ration is significantly lower.

So pull up a chair at the big boy table fishermen and loggers, your sacrifices equal, if not surpass that of the guys and gals that put their butts on the line all over the world.

The data is death rate per 100,000. Assuming the rate of 77 is correct, and I have no reason to doubt you that it is, the military is indeed much higher than the law enforcement rate of about 18 per 100,000.

Don't get your panties in a wad.

I am sure there will still be some room at the big boys table for law enforcement after the fishermen, the loggers, the military personnel, the roofers, the garbagemen, and a good number of others working in a deadlier profession are seated.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The average joe isn't subjected to situations on the street on a daily basis. The amount of stress is beyond most posters imagination on this forum. Some cops can deal with it, others can't.

I didn't defend this officer's reaction, I'm simply saying it could have been avoided and not provoked.

He was on video for less than 8 seconds in the beginning as they was starting the recording and was swinging camera to the lot when the officer went ballistic.

Now, as far as the above bold, if the fires to hot and you can't handle stress, get another job you don't deserve to be doing it and you may break and you actions will be dangerous.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    BADGE + UNIFORM + WEAPON [STRIKE]=[/STRIKE] GODHOOD

Get over it!

OK, the straight horizontal overstrike didn't make a "not equal" sign as intended, but the equation still works!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The data is death rate per 100,000. Assuming the rate of 77 is correct, and I have no reason to doubt you that it is, the military is indeed much higher than the law enforcement rate of about 18 per 100,000.

Don't get your panties in a wad.

I am sure there will still be some room at the big boys table for law enforcement after the fishermen, the loggers, the military personnel, the roofers, the garbagemen, and a good number of others working in a deadlier profession are seated.

No, no, no... I will gladly sit at the lil table. After all sacrifices of Loggers and fishermen, they of course reign supreme. Even over those that have given their lives in the military services. Because it's not "how" they gave their lives, its simply the sheer numbers.

Isn't that your whole point? :dunno:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    BADGE + UNIFORM + WEAPON [STRIKE]=[/STRIKE] GODHOOD

OK, the straight horizontal overstrike didn't make a "not equal" sign as intended, but the equation still works!

giving your life for the protection of others > giving your life for a high priced crustacean to be served on a plate.

:twocents:

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    No, no, no... I will gladly sit at the lil table. After all sacrifices of Loggers and fishermen, they of course reign supreme. Even over those that have given their lives in the military services. Because it's not "how" they gave their lives, its simply the sheer numbers.

Not at all.

Simply pointing out the data and observing that the occupation of LEO is not nearly as deadly as other occupations; fishermen, farmer, logger, garbageman, etc. for example.

As you pointed out, it is also much less deadly than military service.

One may wonder if the LEO in Houston is aware of that truth.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    giving your life for the protection of others > giving your life for a high priced crustacean to be served on a plate.

:twocents:

Nothing personal directed toward you, but when I reach the point that I would feel more secure calling the police rather than dealing with any potential situation myself, I may modify my perspective. Sacrifice may be a significant part of the decision to be a police officer for some, even many, but within the realm of my personal experience, it marks an officer as an exception and a pleasant surprise.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Not at all.

Simply pointing out the data and observing that the occupation of LEO is not nearly as deadly as other occupations; fishermen, farmer, logger, garbageman, etc. for example.

To be certain, not all LEOs are like the one we see here from Houston.

Clearly, some are much more sensitive.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I wouldn't sit at the same table. Fishermen stink.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    He's working at Walmart, that should tell you something.;)

I don't know how much or little to read into that. The Wal Mart in Terre Haute has hired both non-LEO security and actual police to work the overnight hours. He could simply be using that badge for a little extra green in his jeans--make that uniform trousers.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not at all.

...actually it's not. It figure includes homicides, death from illness, self-inflicted deaths, accidents (both while on/off duty). These figures aren't included in any of the others when counting casualty rates.

21.9 (of 100,000) lost their live due to hostile action, 0.1 terror attacks, and 19.2 due to accidents (again this can be while in theater or simply driving from walmart). Totaling 41.1 out of 100,000 (but obviously a tad lower due to the non-clarifivcation about accidents). And this is during an active war.

In the years prior, say 2001, the figure would be greatly lowered. Here look for yourself. I don't want you to think I'm making stuff up.

http://siadapp.dmdc.osd.mil/personnel/CASUALTY/death_Rates1.pdf

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Nothing personal directed toward you, but when I reach the point that I would feel more secure calling the police rather than dealing with any potential situation myself, I may modify my perspective. Sacrifice may be a significant part of the decision to be a police officer for some, even many, but within the realm of my personal experience, it marks an officer as an exception and a pleasant surprise.

I didn't take it way at all, no worries.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I didn't take it way at all, no worries.

Thanks. It really does bother me that my posts could lend themselves to the idea I consider all cops to be scum, when I don't. Although I have not been so fortunate as to see them in the majority, I have a great deal of respect for the good ones and consider them true treasures.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    ...actually it's not. It figure includes homicides, death from illness, self-inflicted deaths, accidents (both while on/off duty). These figures aren't included in any of the others when counting casualty rates.

21.9 (of 100,000) lost their live due to hostile action, 0.1 terror attacks, and 19.2 due to accidents (again this can be while in theater or simply driving from walmart). Totaling 41.1 out of 100,000 (but obviously a tad lower due to the non-clarifivcation about accidents). And this is during an active war.

In the years prior, say 2001, the figure would be greatly lowered. Here look for yourself. I don't want you to think I'm making stuff up.

http://siadapp.dmdc.osd.mil/personnel/CASUALTY/death_Rates1.pdf

I have no reason to doubt you or your numbers.

Using the "hostile action" figure only at 21.9, it is still greater than LEO at 18 and would mean that LEO is not in the top 10.

America's most dangerous jobs - The 10 most dangerous jobs in America (1) - CNNMoney

Top Bottom